Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's going to be interesting. The last time Froome went off on the Zolcolan he suffered the next day and I see Kiryienka didn't finish today, which is a big loss for Sky. Will they be able to strangle anyone?
I'd be amazed (but not completely surprised anymore) if TD can sucker punch CF.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Carapaz to make the most of his wheelsucking legs today and attack from halfway up the Col Tsecore. Gains 5 minutes on a knackered all together GC group. Not enough to catch Froome but enough to put Tom D onto the 3rd step of the podium😮

😂

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
George Bennett interviews on Eurosport now. He's good value :lol:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Thanks! I was pleased to have done it. Nice and slow, head down, keep the pedals moving. I'd driven up it a million times so was well aware of the false dawn, though weirdly seeing that view spring up on my left was a spur to keep on going for the final bit.

Is this the place to ask you more experienced people for your favourite road routes around Brighton? I'm on the hunt for nice 30-50 milers, preferably circular and with decent pubs. Apologies if this has been asked before in this thread.

Hi, there are some nice rides, and you can avoid the beacon!, I have a load of 25-40 mile circular routes going out via Lewes , or the A23 cycle path,get yourself a free strava account and take a look on there, there is even a North Stand Geeks "club" which a few of us are in, you can steel some of our routes from there, also I am happy to go out with you if you want some company

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Absolutely brutal edition from start to finish. It's no wonder there's been some major GC blow ups here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Felix Großschartner doing Team Stat proud.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dislocated shoulder - soccerball softies.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], where does Froome's efforts yesterday rank in the grand scheme of things?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], where does Froome's efforts yesterday rank in the grand scheme of things?
Hang on don't distract me from an evening that has already had John Terry in tears with the potential of thousands of crying scousers still to come.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Right off the top of my head the simple answer is I don't know.

The sticking point being, as 10 says, all the big boys have had such a dig in the past, I just don't know if any of them have taken and kept the jersey.

I'll add to [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION]'s modern era list, Andy Schleck's lone attack which was one of the first times I remember using 'teammates up the road' strategy.

Unfortunately for Froome the less said about Landis, the better.

Naturally back in GT folklore this sort of thing happened all the time the likes of Coppi, Merckx et al would set off with 150kms left and win by 10's of minutes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As is customary, the Cycling Podcast chaps rather nailed Froome's performance.
Team Sky plotted his break away, they isolated the rest of the favourites asap.
On the break climb the team had 15 support staff with food and drink for Froome whereas Sunweb said 'oh we just had the usual top and bottom team'.

So they ended up with a rider v rider climb one with a full tank of fuel while the other was nursing their engine.

Here's a report from Cycling Weekly:-

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...ncredible-80km-solo-break-giro-ditalia-381279

[tweet]1000448485882294272[/tweet]

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
A fair bit of criticism toward MScott in the Guardian yesterday in terms of tactics, and how they managed Yates. Was an interesting read.

He didn't go in as the #1 rider so I suppose once Chaves fell apart it kind of fell into his lap. I don't think handing up the lead would have made much difference.

They got their tactics spot on for stage 20 and their 5th stage win.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A fair bit of criticism toward MScott in the Guardian yesterday in terms of tactics, and how they managed Yates. Was an interesting read.

I haven't read the article yet, but the only criticism I would level at them was that they chased too many breaks down. All the attacking Yates done before the TT was exactly what he had to do to have any chance of winning. Just unfortunate that it all caught up with him in the end, but as Tyrone says, he's still young yet. His time will come :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In Motogull stylee...

Went on a club ride today and felt like crap! I've had a cant of a bug and cold all week and today I felt like a bag of shit!
Even the leg cramps put in an appearance, having not had those since last Summer.

On the plus side, I rode my bike all day in nearly 30 degrees heat, so that's a big achievement for me! ,and meant it wasn't a total bunglecant of a day after all :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I haven't read the article yet, but the only criticism I would level at them was that they chased too many breaks down. All the attacking Yates done before the TT was exactly what he had to do to have any chance of winning. Just unfortunate that it all caught up with him in the end, but as Tyrone says, he's still young yet. His time will come :thumbsup:

All opinions, but perhaps there was too much put on such young shoulders. Yates has never gone for a GT podium before, and perhaps they should have been prepared to lose the jersey to keep Yates in the GC mix till the end rather than defend it, or attack for more time from day 6. He had 12 days in pink where he had less rest due to all the media commitments, which all culminated in his dramatic blow up. Did they get too caught up in worrying about the TT rather than the race as a whole. Guess we'll never know. At least we do know we've got another British GT contender waiting in the wings. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here