Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Veg is nice to eat raw?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I don't like cooked sweet potato, but grated raw and mixed with a little mayo, it's delicious.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Carrots, Brocolli, Cauliflower, Broad Beans (Baby), Sugar Snap and ordinary peas, mushrooms, cucumber, courgettes, lettuce (which also makes a nice soup), capsicums, even eat the occasional bit of raw onion and Garlic is a definite.
Tinned sweetcorn is precooked !

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
None.
I can't eat raw, steamed or boiled veg, except peas.
I have to roast my veg in olive oil, herbs and seasoning with honey glaze.
Only exceptions are mash potatoes and fried onions.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
When I was a lad and went with my father to his allotment, he always gave me a raw rhubarb to chew on. I must have enjoyed it as I never refused.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Isn't raw potato poisonous?

green parts of potato contains a toxin, make you bit poorly if you eat several. cooking will leech out most toxins, though also alot of the good things too.

which is why they say eating raw veg is good for you. trouble is, it also far less digestible, humans struggle to eat much raw veg, we need the cooking process to breakdown cell walls to ease release of the nutrients. its a balance, raw has more, cooked you can actually digest it. we haven't spent millenia gathering firewood and cooking everything for giggles.

reckon carrot (esp grated), peppers and spring onion to be best raw foods, taste better than cooked.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good call that,plus i don't know if this counts but sweet tinned Sweetcorn.

Sweetcorn raw picked straight from the plant is bloody lovely! The milk from it literally runs down your chin.

The minute sweetcorn is picked the sugars start to turn to starch, so if you must cook it it's best to get it straight in the pot as quick as possible.

Frozen sweetcorn and peas taste better than so called 'fresh' that you buy in a shop beside they get it from field to freezer so quickly and lock in the sweetness. But nothing beats your own sweetcorn and peas raw, straight from the plant.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
another vote for sprouts, nice kick to them, can't stand them cooked tho
mushrooms way better uncooked too

Raw mushrooms in a sandwich can't be beat :thumbsup:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The crunchy heart of a spring cabbage is really nice, and sometimes you can get one that tastes quite spicy, which adds to the experience.

Other than that, radish, onion, carrot, peas from the pod, all taste good.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Are pickled onions counted as raw?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
French beans and freshly shelled peas are nice raw as well as everything that makes coleslaw, plus spring onions.
Leeks, peppers and chilies, sweet carrots that we don't have here, all carrots here have an earthy taste no matter where you buy them.
Lettuce, kale, spinach and water chestnuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here