Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cologne fans

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Personally I have no idea but I find it very hard to believe the club were knowingly selling thousands and thousands of tickets to German addresss and credit cards.

Me too but that's what I was told last night.........

Can see how it might happen - easy enough to get Arsenal membership online, someone then decided prior purchase history not needed for a European game, lots of the process outsourced to some kind of call centre (like ours is) without enough controls, so the tickets get issued.............

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Lots of football tourists at Arsenal, last night was just an extension of that. The biggest shock was that Arsenal and the police seemed unprepared.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Rather surprised to see that Bild's headline calls Köln's fans "idiots" and said they brought shame to German football. Personally, I thought they added considerably to the atmosphere

But, as Bild is the German equivalent of the Sun, maybe I shouldn't be surprised

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Rather surprised to see that Bild's headline calls Köln's fans "idiots" and said they brought shame to German football. Personally, I thought they added considerably to the atmosphere

But, as Bild is the German equivalent of the Sun, maybe I shouldn't be surprised

I agree with you. Genuine fans desperate to watch their own team in an important match for them do not deserve to be called idiots. Arsenal FC should have allocated Cologne fans more tickets in the first place.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I really wonder what would happened and the media reaction would be like if this was roles reversed, and it was 20,000 fans of an English club that did this in Germany?

My money is on multiple arrests, water cannons, batons on skulls, general police brutality, deportations. Followed by media hysteria about the English disease. Possible points deductions or banning English clubs from European competitions again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lots of football tourists at Arsenal, last night was just an extension of that. The biggest shock was that Arsenal and the police seemed unprepared.

We're the police unprepared? If they weren't, and were making decisions on-the-hoof then they dealt with a difficult situation even better than I thought.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really wonder what would happened and the media reaction would be like if this was roles reversed, and it was 20,000 fans of an English club that did this in Germany?

My money is on multiple arrests, water cannons, batons on skulls, general police brutality, deportations. Followed by media hysteria about the English disease. Possible points deductions or banning English clubs from European competitions again.

Thousands of English supporters did turn up ticketless in 2006, at the request of the German Football Federation, and largely did behave themselves with no need for water cannons etc. If you start acting a bell-end in front of riot police you will most likely get a clunk on the head. Behave and actively keep yourself out of trouble and there's no problem.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Arsenal supporter, and ITV’s political editor, Robert Peston tweeted - ‘These Cologne fans are a disgrace. Nazi salutes. Peeing in doorsteps. My European solidarity being tested’

It must have been bad if Robert Peston's European solidarity was tested.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Thousands of English supporters did turn up ticketless in 2006, at the request of the German Football Federation, and largely did behave themselves with no need for water cannons etc. If you start acting a bell-end in front of riot police you will most likely get a clunk on the head. Behave and actively keep yourself out of trouble and there's no problem.

I'm not comparing last night to the World Cup or debating how to behave on tour. I am thinking about what the police and media reaction would be if we had the exact same scenario as last night with the roles reversed, so say 20,000 Arsenal fans at Cologne. Throwing bottles and flares, having a bit of a skirmish with stewards and police, buying tickets for the home end, forcing their way into different parts of the ground.

My point is there is a massive double standard. If it was the other way around Arsenal fans would be pariahs.

One of those had a surname of McCann, claiming to have lost his 7 yr old daughter. It went on for a while, until he claimed he'd found her, and was going to take her on a holiday to Portugal, because she was so distressed. His comment was, she'll enjoy that.
People realised it was a very sick joke.

Vladimir McCann, I think he had Gerry McCann as his profile pic. Some right sick ****ers out there, the mind boggles

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Report on BBC Breakfast with a statement from Arsenal, blaming touts.

Before our game last Saturday I was approached numerous times by touts wanting to sell me tickets . I wasn't wearing colours and this was within 10 yards of the stewards and security folk who stop an search you at the bottom of the steps leading to main concourse. It was so blatant yet the club appear more concerned with people taking a bottle of water / can of coke within 100 yards of the turnstiles. The touts must make a killing at the Emirates judging by the vast numbers of 'tourists' I saw.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not comparing last night to the World Cup or debating how to behave on tour. I am thinking about what the police and media reaction would be if we had the exact same scenario as last night with the roles reversed, so say 20,000 Arsenal fans at Cologne. Throwing bottles and flares, having a bit of a skirmish with stewards and police, buying tickets for the home end, forcing their way into different parts of the ground.

My point is there is a massive double standard. If it was the other way around Arsenal fans would be pariahs.

I have no idea what would happen as what happened last night is unprecedented.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Arsenal supporter, and ITV’s political editor, Robert Peston tweeted - ‘These Cologne fans are a disgrace. Nazi salutes. Peeing in doorsteps. My European solidarity being tested’

It must have been bad if Robert Peston's European solidarity was tested.

Kettle fans for a couple of hours after an afternoon on the piss and people are going to need to pee. Not sure why they would feel the need to perform Nazi salutes though. Most people are saying that the overwhelming majority of the Cologne fans were very well behaved.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You must be disappointed. Only 5 arrests, no baton charges etc...

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Is there ever any need for police to resort to methods like water cannons or tear gas? I'm not sure there is any evidence to suggest they are effective in tackling crowd disorder. This is an FSF statement about French police tactics in Marseille on dealing with English and Russian supporters at the Euros which sums up the problems of these tactics quite well. I get the impression such indiscriminate tools just exacerbate things.

'Time after time, the first intervention of the French police has been to use tear gas and then water cannons. It’s in the nature of tear gas that it doesn’t discriminate between perpetrators and passers-by, between attackers and victims, and it often lands when the villains of the piece have already run off – leaving those who have just been attacked or in the vicinity with eyes stinging and streaming, and struggling to breathe. The other consequence of this police approach is that while it may look dramatic and effective, with people running for cover, it actually leaves the hooligans free to fight again another day. None of them are arrested, they get to slope off and re-group ready for their next assault, or to travel to their next venue.'

It's taken from an article by social psychologist Dr Chris Cocking who has a particular interest in crowd behaviour.

Full article: http://dontpaniccorrectingmythsabou.../2016/06/euro-2016-disorder-in-marseille.html

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Pretty easy to get tickets for Arsenal for games where they don't sell out. We have 2 in the Arsenal and 4 in club Arsenal for the Brighton game amongst our group.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here