Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Merson

Larry

Feb 11, 2011
Why do Sky employ this complete Tosser he never gets any of his predictions correct and he seems to have itin for BRIGHTON.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Merson, Crooks, Sutton,Townsend, Dixon, Shearer - the list can go on of useless pundits who get the gig because they aren't good enough to get a proper job in football.

Agreed. Although he has now retired you can add to that list Alan Hansen. A wonderful footballer who I grately admired. Then he completely blotted his copybook by becoming a useless pundit.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I particularly enjoyed Shearer and Wright desperately trying to find something to talk about regarding Brighton.

Anyway, the fundamental reason there are bad pundits is that their ex-pro arrogance prohibits them from doing any research because they "know the game"

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I used to idolise Merson as a player when I was a kid. Wonderful player.

Him and Ian Wright both have it right in for us though. Wrighty I can understand given his spell at Palace and the failed trial, but I don't know what we have done to Merson to earn his disdain?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't know what we have done to Merson to earn his disdain?

I don't think it's anything personal, it's what was mentioned above, that former players simply "know the game" and therefore don't actually study or research what is going on. Something has to happen to smack them in the face to notice the teams that come up. Merson has heard of Newcastle, so he's ok with them, and Huddersfield had a great opening day, so that was the "smack" to make him notice them. We started slowly, he's probably never played against us, we've just come up, so yeah, that team (whoever we happen to be) is the team that he will just dismiss.

1st October, when we come away from The Emirates with 3 points, THEN he may actually have an opinion on us based on us rather than the fact he knows nothing about us.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I used to idolise Merson as a player when I was a kid. Wonderful player.

Him and Ian Wright both have it right in for us though. Wrighty I can understand given his spell at Palace and the failed trial, but I don't know what we have done to Merson to earn his disdain?

Probably refused him a drink in the boardroom when he brought his Walsall team down to the Withdean.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
On Sky Sports web site re transfers in last transfer window:

MERSE SAYS: I look through the list of signings and I don't really know any of them. When you get promoted to the Premier League, you need to bring in a few seasoned professionals. This league will be new to almost everybody in that squad and for me that approach isn't going to work. I'm not happy with that.

Seems like his view is based on ignorance.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

MERSE SAYS: I look through the list of signings and I don't really know any of them. When you get promoted to the Premier League, you need to bring in a few seasoned professionals. This league will be new to almost everybody in that squad and for me that approach isn't going to work. I'm not happy with that.

Utter ****.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I really can't be arsed to take any notice of so-called pundits who haven't been in the game for over 20 years.

I mean, Chris Waddle FFS!!!

pompeydel

May 27, 2004
West Sussex
I don't think it's anything personal, it's what was mentioned above, that former players simply "know the game" and therefore don't actually study or research what is going on. Something has to happen to smack them in the face to notice the teams that come up. Merson has heard of Newcastle, so he's ok with them, and Huddersfield had a great opening day, so that was the "smack" to make him notice them. We started slowly, he's probably never played against us, we've just come up, so yeah, that team (whoever we happen to be) is the team that he will just dismiss.

Didn't he play for Portsmouth against us at Withdean the year they got promotion to the prem?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

To be fair, most of us had never heard of any of them either!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I like them all**, it's entertainment, and all about opinions, nothing to get upset about.

Just because they've been in football doesn't give them any better view of what's about to happen or has just happened

** edit: except that goon Phil Thompson

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I really can't be arsed to take any notice of so-called pundits who haven't been in the game for over 20 years.

I mean, Chris Waddle FFS!!!
Then add Pardew to the mix to illustrate the points being made. There really are too many tossers adding their experience to punditry.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Didn't he play for Portsmouth against us at Withdean the year they got promotion to the prem?

Probably, but I don't think that year educated him much in terms of football. That was a year with the minnows in his mind.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here