Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
After finding I had no entry for the 10k yesterday I very quickly had to think about my Sunday run as I skipped Park Run the day before on the basis of a full on 10k the following day. Just under 12 miles in the bag which I told [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] all about this afternoon.

Having no run meant I could cycle to New Church Road (25k mark) and enjoy watching a lot runners go past. It's easy to forget how punishing a marathon is as even at this stage a fair few were going down with cramp or pulling up to stretch. From New Church Road I cycled down to the lagoon to see that part just before Basin Road. Then I cycled through to beach huts near The Drive in Hove. Great day and the support seemed even better than ever despite conditions not being great for spectators.

Full credit to [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] a tremendous time and one if I enter next year I'll be aiming for.

If someone asked me what would be your ultimate running goals a sub 3 hour marathon seems an obvious pick but I've always wanted to run 10 miles in under 60 minutes. I'm really not sure which one is tougher probably the 10 in 60 but it would be interesting to hear thoughts on this one.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well done to everyone who has posted, brilliant efforts all around, especially [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4048]jonny.rainbow[/MENTION] for beating me! And [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] who broke the 3:30 barrier, cracking effort by him on his marathon debut. :bowdown:

I had a stinker, I knew from the jog toward the event that I wasn't capable of running the sub 3. 3:15 became my target, and then 3:29 to beat my previous record but I wasn't able to do it and I came in at 3:32:55 - that'll do. 2nd best time for me, distance completed and marathon 8 in the tank. I'm not happy, obviously, so I'll want to do another marathon or two this year to try and get a better time. I felt some strange muscle fatigue in a group of muscles between my shin and knee, I'm not sure what it is though, just a weakness.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A 3:29:52 for me in my marathon debut. I was flying until 20 miles but found it tougher from the harbour onwards, as I knew I would having never run this distance before. I was running about 4:45/km up until the harbour but it then seemed to head mainly between 5:20 and 5:45 in the last 10k. Overall, what a fantastic experience. Although it was very hard for about 40 minutes between Miles 20 and 24.5 it wasn’t as bad as I feared and people had suggested. My legs were screwed but the rest of me was fine. And the last mile or two was great with the noise of the crowd. I was shattered after crossing the line but now I just want to do it again. In the harbour I came to the conclusion that time no longer mattered, I just wanted to be a marathon runner who had run every step of the way without walking. But sneaking in below 3:30 at the first attempt is the icing on the cake.

Also, I know I’m preaching to the converted here, but today was the day I realised a marathon is a totally different animal to a half. It might only be twice the distance but in every other way it’s ten times the challenge. I loved it.

A great time for your first marathon. Certainly bodes well for the future as you will benefit in future efforts by having completed the distance. Again the old adage of the 20 mile mark is the halfway point of a marathon is very true. That last 10k always makes or breaks your time as you can fairly confidently predict where you will be at 20.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I didn’t see you at all, apologies! But I spent most of the first half close to someone else called Tom who had his name on his shirt, so all I heard was “come on Tom” and I ignored most of it as it was obviously for him. If you saw me during that period it probably explains why I wouldn’t have been acknowledging the crowd!
It was nearing the pier on the last stretch. Oddly enough I saw your family about a minute afterwards so you probably wouldn't have been listening out for another shout so soon after them! You looked pretty solid, unbelievable time!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Finished in 3:01:55 which I'm delighted with. Was on for sub 3 but my splits got progressively slower after mile 20. Struggling with calf cramps from mile 21 and keeled over at the finish line. Feel surprisingly fresh now though.

Got home and had an ice bath, now onto meal number 2 comprising a chicken wrap.

Dilemma of running London now or running Brighton again. I would like to do London as an experience but my family love the day out in Brighton.

How long until Brighton sells out normally? I hope to dwell on it for a week until London is over.

That is a fantastic time! Well done!! :clap2: You'll smash sub 3 next time. London is pretty special. An incredible experience with an epic atmosphere. You're all set for a Good For Age place for next year.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
That is a fantastic time! Well done!! :clap2: You'll smash sub 3 next time. London is pretty special. An incredible experience with an epic atmosphere. You're all set for a Good For Age place for next year.

Plan was to get sub 3:05, run London as a fun run and then give up on marathons and run a couple of HMs every year. The training is so much commitment.

But now thinking about the 3 hour mark!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just reading and re-reading the marathon posts. Some excellent and very inspiring efforts all round. I take my hat off to [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION]; your 3:01 is truly incredible. You said you were weighing up Brighton versus London for 2019....if you carry this performance into London I reckon you’ll have a sub-3 Major Marathon on your CV next year. London is an amazing race and day out as well.

Special mentions to the 62 years young debutant [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] and fellow debutant [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION]. Two excellent times there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Finished my first marathon in 3h45 ish great first effort and I'm sure you'll see big improvements.

How long ago was your first? How long did it take to cut 44 minutes off your PB?

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Plan was to get sub 3:05, run London as a fun run and then give up on marathons and run a couple of HMs every year. The training is so much commitment.

But now thinking about the 3 hour mark!

If you're able to tick along with your running and stay as injury free as possible when you're ready to go again I think you'd be well on course to comfortably go under 3 hours. Well done for today! That's a phenomenal time!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Jose Izquierdo has posted a video on Instagram of him and a friend laughing and shouting at some guy on Grand Avenue being stretchered off the course. ??? That's a bit dire.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
How long ago was your first? How long did it take to cut 44 minutes off your PB?

Told a lie it was 3h 38

2016: 3h38
2017: 3h23
2018: 3h02

After 2017 decided to have a go at running a GFA so ran through the summer and did a couple of quick half marathons at the end of summer which bled into training for BM.

Will probably do the same this year, sign up to a half marathon in September to focus on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here