Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can see Houghton Quitting before next season......

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's not guff though is it ? The playing side of the club has been in decline for a good few seasons now, we've lost some big players and replaced them with some real shite !

If players like Leon Best and Chris O Grady are our future, then we'll be in League 1 sooner rather than later.

I know it's not our God given right to be successful, but with the level of investment off the field, then I think we should be able to expect more than the dross we've been served up this season.

What do you define as a 'good few seasons'? At most the playing side has been in decline for 2 seasons; and even last season was quite good.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Ironic that a novice manager such as SH gained one of the most prolific strikers ever to wear the stripes in Darren Bent all be it for a month, yet the vastly experienced Hughton brings in one of the most useless to wear the shirt.???

SH did not bring in Bent the now redundant recruitment team did and not surprisingly he quickly jumped ship for a team that at the time were top of the league

Best has been terrible but what top striker is going to be flocking to the Amex late in this season to join a team that looked to be heading for the trap door

The damage was done in the summer anything since then has been panic deals and punts with hit and miss results

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
What do you define as a 'good few seasons'? At most the playing side has been in decline for 2 seasons; and even last season was quite good.
Perhaps I should've just said "a couple" of seasons, but the fact remains we've lost quite a few big players that haven't been replaced with the same quality.
Last season was ok, yes we made the playoffs but we were helped along the way with other teams around us not winning, I'd hardly say we stormed into the playoffs, would you ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's not guff though is it ? The playing side of the club has been in decline for a good few seasons now, we've lost some big players and replaced them with some real shite !

If players like Leon Best and Chris O Grady are our future, then we'll be in League 1 sooner rather than later.

I know it's not our God given right to be successful, but with the level of investment off the field, then I think we should be able to expect more than the dross we've been served up this season.

Agreed. We've had a bad season , not 2 bad seasons as some insist!!. If getting to the play offs is just "ok" then blimey.,but it's not because Tony Bloom isn't interested or hasn't stumped up enough cash to fund a decent squad. ?? That's rubbish and malicious rubbish.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
SH did not bring in Bent the now redundant recruitment team did and not surprisingly he quickly jumped ship for a team that at the time were top of the league

Best has been terrible but what top striker is going to be flocking to the Amex late in this season to join a team that looked to be heading for the trap door

The damage was done in the summer anything since then has been panic deals and punts with hit and miss results

I'm sure SH would have sanctioned it. Bent went to Derby for multiple reasons like: (a) he is out of contract with Villa this summer and Derby probably could offer him a return to premiership both wages and contract wise, if they get promoted, (b) Derby offered to pay Villa a greater percentage of his salary. (c) he had just got married, no need to uproot his new wife and move house, Birmingham to Derby is drivable every day for training. Had he still been with us we would be comfortably mid table by now. I'm a Hughton fan but bringing in Best has been a disaster, only wish he had gone back to one of his former clubs and borrowed some bright young thing that was desperate for 3 months championship experience.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed. We've had a bad season , not 2 bad seasons as some insist!!. If getting to the play offs is just "ok" then blimey.,but it's not because Tony Bloom isn't interested or hasn't stumped up enough cash to fund a decent squad. ?? That's rubbish and malicious rubbish.
It's sunny out Jem, go get some air.

All the agendas, misremembering, scapegoats, and downright lies from the self appointed entitled empowered spoilt few, will still be here when you get back.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

last two seasons he can't really be faulted.....he was well within his rights this season to think ..."hmm nah , i'll back off .." seeing as that's what the team did for the back end of last season......the thing about getting skinned 6-1 on aggregate in a play off is it doesn't matter to most of the players......it is something the fans have to carry around unfortunately....!!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I'm a Hughton fan but bringing in Best has been a disaster, only wish he had gone back to one of his former clubs and borrowed some bright young thing that was desperate for 3 months championship experience.

100% agree about Best. Not sure who Hughton could have brought in direct from his previous clubs tbh. Newcastle sent all their good prospects to Rangers, as Norwich loaned us Bennett you'd think a conversation would have been had about other players and a loan from Birmingham would be unlikely / not be any better than we have.

el punal

Perhaps I should've just said "a couple" of seasons, but the fact remains we've lost quite a few big players that haven't been replaced with the same quality.
Last season was ok, yes we made the playoffs but we were helped along the way with other teams around us not winning, I'd hardly say we stormed into the playoffs, would you ?
We certainly did when Leo scored in the 92nd minute at the City Ground!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just waiting for the infrastructure to be in place. He can sell, get his money back and go back to what he does best. Watching his beloved club on tv from Australia.
Great gesture from a great bloke but football chairman of great knowledge, he ain't.
Great gesture? You call £200m + a gesture? :rolleyes:

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
We certainly did when Leo scored in the 92nd minute at the City Ground!
But in the run in to that game if the other contenders had fallen over themselves to drop vital points, the forest game would have meant nothing, even with Leo's goal.
Don't get me wrong we did very well to make the playoffs, but we were a shadow of the team from the previous season.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I can see him quitting, us being relegated down to the Conference, crowds dropping drastically, the club eventually folding, Palace going on to become the top club in Europe and having to play at Wembley stadium to cater for the demand for tickets but things will level out to an extent when the UK has a nuclear strike from the state of ISIS, famine ensues and Piers Morgan visits from the USA and becomes stranded so he has to stay here.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

PS: We've had 2 other seasons as good as last season in the last 32 years.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
That old chestnut, have we got two managers at the club? Houghton and Hughton, similar to Clough and Taylor at Derby, Brighton and Nottm.Forest. So, which of the two "H's" are people suggesting is leaving?

No, we've got one manager and his name is Chris Hewton.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He isn't going anywhere quickly

There is no way he will walk away. He knows he can turn it round if he is given funds to do so and he has been promised funds. Will it be enough funds well that's the million dollar question. If he gets enough to be competitive then I think he can live with that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here