Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
In Brighton for this w/e, first time for 20 months, with spouse + 2 teenagers, with well developed food tastes. Any recommendations for meal out in central Brighton after the Wolves game ?
Value and authentic Italian, buzzy and very friendly - VIP.
Accommodating different tastes - Cote.
Place to be seen if a touch over rated The Ivy- probably won't get in as it's always booked.
Most under rated 'high end' restaurant for me is Semolina in Baker Street.
I will also add Murmur near the i360.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I'm not sure that's the case. Both the good Herr and I are fans of New York's Spotted Pig and, although it lost its star, it held it for 10+ years with a punky gastropub vibe with very informal service, often delivered by tattooed and pierced youngsters.

You could counter that with "well maybe American inspectors are different to those in the UK" but I've eaten at the one-starred Restaurant Tristan in Horsham and found it to be neither stuffy nor formal. I'd also say that The Pass, when it held its star, was of a similar vein.

We ate in The Spotted Pig earlier this year while in NYC - only had the burger but it was by far the the best burger I’ve eaten anywhere in the world and one of my top five meals ever (and that includes several Michelin starred establishments)
Just goes to show it doesn’t always have to be posh poncey food in a stuffy environment to make it memorable

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We ate in The Spotted Pig earlier this year while in NYC - only had the burger but it was by far the the best burger I’ve eaten anywhere in the world and one of my top five meals ever (and that includes several Michelin starred establishments)
Just goes to show it doesn’t always have to be posh poncey food in a stuffy environment to make it memorable

It’s my favourite restaurant, marginally over St John. I love everything about it, have now tried a lot off the menu, and the West Village is a fine part of the world as well.

Message to everyone...if you’re ever in NYC, go to The Tavern on Jane for oysters and a pint of Harpoon IPA. Then go for dinner at The Spotted Pig, then stroll to The Blind Tiger Ale House. Life will not get much better than this.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A couple of nights out - one being at the aforementioned Cin Cin Hove so especially for [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] here's my views :

Cin Cin Hove - I'm not normally into all this 'dining experience' stuff but on this occasion I'll make an exception. Loved the bar style seating in view of the kitchen - it was nice to chat with other diners and watch the chefs ( who didn't stop all evening ). On to the food - Cin Cin is kind of based on the new trend of 'small plates' - I say kind of as it's really only the starters rather than the mains ( unless you have an enourmous appeitite ). Mrs W and I decided to share two starters - a mushroom arancini ball and a venision sausage. The arancini was by far the best I've ever had - splendid. The sausage was great too but for £8 more than a bit over priced. Mrs W had gnocchi with plaice for main - great dish and the gnocchi was perfectly cooked - none of the sludge some places churn out. I had wild mallard with beetroot. The mallard was very strong so wouldn't be to everyone's taste if they were expecting normal duck. The dish as a whole was OK, no real veg which was disappointing - meat should have some veg. We shared a cheese board for dessert and the cheeses were very strong but very nice. Overall I'd say I was a tad disappointed - I went to the Cin Cin popup at Ten Green Bottles before they opened in Brighton and it was fantastic - this was just lacking something. I also think it's overpriced ..... especially the wine. We'll go back at some point I'm sure but not in a rush 6.5/10

SIX, Hove - last minute decision to go here. Menu looked good. Oh how wrong can one be. Mrs W had the calamari to start and the chilli nearly blew her head off ! I had gravllax which was OK. Mrs W's pasta for main was plain, unseasoned and bland. I had lemon salmon which was actually quite nice. The side of seasonal veg was barely cooked ( the baby turnips were like cannonballs ) and unseasoned. For dessert Mrs W had a coconut creme brulee ...... it had the consistancy of vomit. We sent so much stuff back that in the end the manager wiped all the food from the bill and we only paid for our drinks ( and a tip to the waitress who was brilliant ). Avoid at all costs - 1/10 for food and 9/10 for the waitress.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A couple of nights out - one being at the aforementioned Cin Cin Hove so especially for [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] here's my views :

Cin Cin Hove - I'm not normally into all this 'dining experience' stuff but on this occasion I'll make an exception. Loved the bar style seating in view of the kitchen - it was nice to chat with other diners and watch the chefs ( who didn't stop all evening ). On to the food - Cin Cin is kind of based on the new trend of 'small plates' - I say kind of as it's really only the starters rather than the mains ( unless you have an enourmous appeitite ). Mrs W and I decided to share two starters - a mushroom arancini ball and a venision sausage. The arancini was by far the best I've ever had - splendid. The sausage was great too but for £8 more than a bit over priced. Mrs W had gnocchi with plaice for main - great dish and the gnocchi was perfectly cooked - none of the sludge some places churn out. I had wild mallard with beetroot. The mallard was very strong so wouldn't be to everyone's taste if they were expecting normal duck. The dish as a whole was OK, no real veg which was disappointing - meat should have some veg. We shared a cheese board for dessert and the cheeses were very strong but very nice. Overall I'd say I was a tad disappointed - I went to the Cin Cin popup at Ten Green Bottles before they opened in Brighton and it was fantastic - this was just lacking something. I also think it's overpriced ..... especially the wine. We'll go back at some point I'm sure but not in a rush 6.5/10

SIX, Hove - last minute decision to go here. Menu looked good. Oh how wrong can one be. Mrs W had the calamari to start and the chilli nearly blew her head off ! I had gravllax which was OK. Mrs W's pasta for main was plain, unseasoned and bland. I had lemon salmon which was actually quite nice. The side of seasonal veg was barely cooked ( the baby turnips were like cannonballs ) and unseasoned. For dessert Mrs W had a coconut creme brulee ...... it had the consistancy of vomit. We sent so much stuff back that in the end the manager wiped all the food from the bill and we only paid for our drinks ( and a tip to the waitress who was brilliant ). Avoid at all costs - 1/10 for food and 9/10 for the waitress.

Thanks for this, an interesting read. I have just been perusing the Hove menu and the key difference between Hove and Brighton is the grill section. From my experience, for mains, Brighton only does pasta....and it does this very well. Brighton also has a more city centre buzzy bistro feel about it. I did wonder how the Vine Street operation could transfer to a restaurant setting; maybe not too well?

As an aside I was looking at Tripadvisor (yes, I know) and there’s some guy complaining about a group meal he’d arranged at the restaurant....the restaurant responded to correct him about a few things....their response made me chuckle. I do enjoy restaurants fighting back on social media.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thanks for this, an interesting read. I have just been perusing the Hove menu and the key difference between Hove and Brighton is the grill section. From my experience, for mains, Brighton only does pasta....and it does this very well. Brighton also has a more city centre buzzy bistro feel about it. I did wonder how the Vine Street operation could transfer to a restaurant setting; maybe not too well?

As an aside I was looking at Tripadvisor (yes, I know) and there’s some guy complaining about a group meal he’d arranged at the restaurant....the restaurant responded to correct him about a few things....their response made me chuckle. I do enjoy restaurants fighting back on social media.

It wasn't that it was bad ..... I suspect my expectations were too high ..... I thought I'd come out thinking the same way I did after Little Fish Market .... in awe of the food. That review on Tripadvisor is utterly undeserved and good for them for fighting back - made me laugh. It's one reason why I take Tripadvisor with a pinch of salt.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Went to Cin Cin Brighton before the match Saturday at 12.30. Only ones in there! Started with a beetroot plate and cold meat lamb starter with excellent bread. Then two pasta dishes one with sausage and the other beef. All very nice. Service was swift, as to be expected as we were the only ones there! In and out in a half hour. Fine if you want something quick, but bill was £50 with a small beer. Not a great fan of sitting on a bar stool eating food and would not go for a big night out but would use again at lunchtime.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Went to Murmur for lunch last week with Mrs McT.

Restaurant was almost full with a nice buzzy atmosphere - had the lunch menu 2 courses for £15, 3 for £20.

I started with charred marrow, baron bigod (cheese) sauce and pickled fennel. The marrow was not particularly charred and seemed a bit underseasoned so was a bit bland and overwhelmed by the cheese sauce. It was OK but not as interesting or tasty as I had hoped. Mrs McT had moules marineres which were fine.

Main course I had fillet of plaice with a seafood sauce, new potatoes and "leaves". The plaice was a big fillet with a very intense, very dark sauce which was delicious. The leaves were a few lettuce leaves which were nicely dressed. Simple (apart from the sauce) but very nicely done - very good lunch dish. Mrs had minute steak which was very tasty and well-cooked.

Mrs had an excellent bread and butter pudding for dessert.

One Hurri Kane cocktail (very good), one glass of (very ropy - if it had been mine I would have sent it back but it was already half drunk by the time I tasted it) grenache, a homemade lemonade and two coffees came to £65.00 (inc 12.5% service)

Overall a good simple lunch in a friendly, unpretentious place although not with the sort of invention and innovation that might be expected if you are looking for similar to 64 Degrees and perhaps none the worse for it.

Will definitely be back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to Cin Cin Brighton before the match Saturday at 12.30. Only ones in there! Started with a beetroot plate and cold meat lamb starter with excellent bread. Then two pasta dishes one with sausage and the other beef. All very nice. Service was swift, as to be expected as we were the only ones there! In and out in a half hour. Fine if you want something quick, but bill was £50 with a small beer. Not a great fan of sitting on a bar stool eating food and would not go for a big night out but would use again at lunchtime.

Ha. Usually I’d have been there to keep you company, but I went to The Blue Man on Saturday.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Ha. Usually I’d have been there to keep you company, but I went to The Blue Man on Saturday.
That’s my wife’s choice to go and eat next. Recently went there after a meal at VIP with friends for drinks. Was very impressed, friendly staff and good drinks and laid back atmosphere.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That’s my wife’s choice to go and eat next. Recently went there after a meal at VIP with friends for drinks. Was very impressed, friendly staff and good drinks and laid back atmosphere.

Great minds!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wonder if there is any way to find out what it is

I wonder if it is any of them. They only have 3, and they are pretty close in price (£40, £43, £45). Note that it looks like next Wednesday + Thursday is full

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Couple of bits.

Did the November 9 course menu at Etch. Was impressed, nice environment, good service and a good pace. Got in there 7.30 and left just after 11.

All the courses excellent cooked, exception the Duck as I found the liver a bit slimey.
But enjoyed the rest. For the standard of cooking, wine and a cocktail I thought it was decent value for money. The head chef and owner Steven Edwards also came round a few times. Having won Masterchef The Professionals he was popular for photos. Good treat and definitely enjoyed with the right amount of food.

8/10

4 days later went to The Set to take in their set menu before their overhaul. The deal was £30 per person for any of the set menus. We went on a Tuesday and it was full. I will add that I had what transpired to be a knee tendon injury that night and ended up in A&E straight after the meal so I wasn’t in the best frame of mind. I did enjoy the menu I went for with the highlight being the Ox Cheek main. Personally I was slightly disappointed as the Stone Bass was over cooked and lacked some seasoning. Good value for £30 for 4 courses but thought the standards have dropped. Either way they’ve now revamped their offering and have a true al-carte menu offering 7 days a week, with a chefs table set menu every night.

The good thing is the most expensive combo of starter - main - dessert from the be menu is as expensive as the most expensive set menu so it is still a reasonable offering so same model just presented different.

7/10

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Looking for a recomendation for Saturday night.

Ideally a small plates type of affair either in Brighton or Hove. Have tried Cin Cin, looking to try somewhere else. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Had the misfortune to try to the food at the Stoneham last week.

Expensive, poor quality. I think they mighy actually be taking the pis. Nothing more to say.

Avoid.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Had the misfortune to try to the food at the Stoneham last week.

Expensive, poor quality. I think they mighy actually be taking the pis. Nothing more to say.

Avoid.

Agreed, Horrible Pub, Horrible food, Horrible regulars, full of kids. Easily the worst of the pubs in that area.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Looking for a recomendation for Saturday night.

Ideally a small plates type of affair either in Brighton or Hove. Have tried Cin Cin, looking to try somewhere else. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

You could do worse than either of the two suggestions made by [MENTION=3462]Springal[/MENTION]. Silo, Isaacs and 64 Degrees also fit that particular bill. All aren't cheap, and you might struggle to get a table with a week's notice.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here