Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex CCC v Warwickshire CCC, LVCC Div2, Hove, 18-21 September 2018,10.30 KO's***

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
343-2 at tea.

Warks lead by 440.

Commentators suggesting declaration. I would be very surprised if that happened.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Umpires got bored and abandoned it as a draw

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Agreed. It is completely baffling.

I know things have moved on from the old days when Hadlee and Rice might do the final "mowing" of the pitch at Trent Bridge but, like you, I thought this pitch would have been prepared with a definite result in mind. The groundsman obviously knows the game, and the league position, so he wouldn't need to be told.

Clearly there was no such attempt made this week and I can't think the pitch is anything like what Sussex would have wanted.

Does anyone know? Is the groundsman completely separate from the rest of the club and produces the best pitch he can regardless of Sussex's situation? Is it more difficult than we think to do it in any case? What would have been the prescription to create a "result" pitch? Damp and grassy? Dry and bare? There might be rules about how moisture content has to be managed in the lead up to a game? Are the result pitches elsewhere just down to bad circumstances or are they deliberately underprepared?

Chat at the ground was that Groundsman was asked to prepare a 2nd day pitch on the first day. It was more like 4 th day pitch on day one but I do wonder how much the wind dried the pitch out . All four days were not only near gale force but also very warm
So the strip lost moisture very quickly and was baked hard.

We lost promotion before this match though. The loss at Durham put us out of the race.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Wow I realised that we were out of it, but didn't realise that next weeks top of the table clash has the division title at state.

Attachments

• Table 1 game to go.jpeg
    Table 1 game to go.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 86

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The team seems like a work in progress, especially the batting, with so many young players. I’m hoping that this years experience will show them what level is required and that we’re able to keep our bowling attack together. I just hope that Gillespie has seen enough in this team to want to continue here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here