Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Singapore Grand Prix live on Channel 4

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Vettel is going to have some questions to answer if he fails to win the championship in a season in which he has the fastest car and an entire team set up to help him over his team mate. This will be a major failure, especially as he has shown he can’t deal with the pressure on a number of occasions.

Anyway, it only takes one Lewis DNF for the whole situation to be turned on its head, so I won’t go there.

It's going to take two, and there are only six races to go.

Vettel looked a bit of a broken man at the end of the race today. Nice touch to interview him in front of Hamilton's car sitting on that huge TV screen thing, just to rub it in a bit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's going to take two, and there are only six races to go.

Vettel looked a bit of a broken man at the end of the race today. Nice touch to interview him in front of Hamilton's car sitting on that huge TV screen thing, just to rub it in a bit.

Loved that bit too.

Plus who’s to say that Vettel won’t have a mishap or two. Is he prone to it, but then blames someone else.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I think Mercedes have caught up with Ferrari in terms of pace, Vettel looks dispirited and I believe he knows the advantage they had is gone. Impressed by the Red Bulls who I think will also have a chance of winning which again complicates the matter for Vettel. The only chance Vettel has if Hamilton loses focus especially when things are not going for him.
Anyone know if engine penalties are on the horizon for any of the contenders?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Red Bull get a Honda engine that is close to the pace of Mercedes and Ferrari next season it could blow the next Championship wide open. They already have the best chassis imo and Verstappen is only going to get better. The boost in engine power will push them right up there.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think Mercedes have caught up with Ferrari in terms of pace, Vettel looks dispirited and I believe he knows the advantage they had is gone. Impressed by the Red Bulls who I think will also have a chance of winning which again complicates the matter for Vettel. The only chance Vettel has if Hamilton loses focus especially when things are not going for him.
Anyone know if engine penalties are on the horizon for any of the contenders?

Agree about the Red Bulls, Hamilton winning was one thing, getting no where near competing for second was another. Had Vettel finished 2nd behind Hamilton and not too far away, he may have felt emboldened that it will be his day next time. However they couldn't compete with the Red Bulls either.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If Red Bull get a Honda engine that is close to the pace of Mercedes and Ferrari next season it could blow the next Championship wide open. They already have the best chassis imo and Verstappen is only going to get better. The boost in engine power will push them right up there.

Or if they get the engines Honda gave McClaren, they may go backwards...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It wouldn’t take two in my opinion. Ferrari have the fastest car and at least four of the remaining six tracks suit them. It’s not unrealistic for Vettel to string a run of poles together, which he should then convert to wins bearing in mind the pace of his car.

If Vettel wins four of the last six and doesn’t DNF, he only needs one shocker of a race for Lewis somewhere to swing the balance.

I don’t think it’ll happen. Despite the power deficit in the Mercedes, Lewis is far too good to lose all those qualifying sessions and races, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near over yet and one big incident going against Lewis in the next few races could totally change the picture.

Singapore suited Ferrari. How did that work out?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Meh, F1 is like the SPL these days. More often than not the guys who finish on the podium end up in the top 3. Take this race for example, and the last 10 years or so of champions.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Meh, F1 is like the SPL these days. More often than not the guys who finish on the podium end up in the top 3. Take this race for example, and the last 10 years or so of champions.

I think you have to go back 30 years or more when 3 grand prix wins could secure you a title or even 1 in the case of Keke Rosburg because the wins were spread around, and your contenders were often dying in their cars for when F1 was a different animal to it is today.

Since McClaren's dominance from '84, not sure it has got any more or any less exciting. There were only 4 races Senna didn't win in '91, in fact only 19 races out of 64 weren't won by McClaren '88 to '91. Mansell was lapping 2nd place in '92 with the title sawn up with 5 races to spare.

I think you either like F1 or you don't really, because in truth it has been a bit like this for 30 years or so.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great article on BBC website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45542607

Here’s a small part:
7BD1049D-4C1C-4887-BAAE-235835A6D5A0.png

Vettel’s win and pole stats look incredible, but they fail to mention that much of that was in the era where Red Bull destroyed all rivals for several seasons. In contrast Hamilton has often had to fight off challenges from drivers in superior or equal cars.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here