Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I obviously trust Hughton but this is a massive mistake in my opinion, I always thought that he has the potential to be better than Dunk. Hopefully there is a large sell on clause as could see him attracting a big fee at some point in the future.

He isn’t good enough in the air and Dunk is just as skilful on the ground so I don’t agree with you at all. We signed Duffy because Goldson was being bullied, especially in the air, by big forwards...or so I heard.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I obviously trust Hughton but this is a massive mistake in my opinion, I always thought that he has the potential to be better than Dunk. Hopefully there is a large sell on clause as could see him attracting a big fee at some point in the future.

Agree with this, I think he is a fantastic player and will end up moving back to the Prem for £20m+. On the positive side I imagine it means that Dunk is going nowhere baring £100m offer from Real Madrid...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
£3.5million is absolutely nothing at all, Goldson must be determined to make the move. From a career perspective, this is an understandable move for him but from our perspective a sale at such a low price is terrible business. We must have a significant sell on clause to protect our future interests, or the club is badly under-valuing Goldson as a player.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Disappointing if he goes. I understand he wants to play but I’m sure the club would have rather him stayed than the money, must be a player/agent driven move.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
£3.5million is absolutely nothing at all, Goldson must be determined to make the move. From a career perspective, this is an understandable move for him but from our perspective a sale at such a low price is terrible business. We must have a significant sell on clause to protect our future interests, or the club is badly under-valuing Goldson as a player.

It isn't terrible business at all. We paid £1m for him, he proved a great asset, and now we've sold him at a hefty profit. He's completely untried at Premier League level and was always going to be behind Dunk and Duffy in the pecking order. Apart from anything else, Duffy was actually brought in because of Goldson's shortcomings.

You also have to look at the bigger picture in these things - we owe the player a move so that he can further his career. If we get a reputation for holding out for top dollar all the time despite not actually getting playing opportunities, younger players won't want to come here at all!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A real shame, but totally understandable. Could see him coming back to the Prem in a few years as a top centre back.

Good luck Connor.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

This.

Feels a paltry fee for a good, solid player.

Personally, I don’t believe that the players we’re chasing are as good (though to be fair, our recruitment team get very little wrong).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
This.

Feels a paltry fee for a good, solid player.

Personally, I don’t believe that the players we’re chasing are as good (though to be fair, our recruitment team get very little wrong).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A good solid player who is now mid twenties, only played half a season in the Championship and has barely played for 2 years? It's great business, especially plus add ons.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I understand the reasons people give for saying that £3.5 million is a good return for us but I can't help thinking it is a bit low. I think we could have got more for him, it's going to be tough to get a replacement as good as Connor for that before you add in the fact that he has a great attitude and fits in to our squad so well.

I can also understand the club wanting to help him. He's clearly a good guy, has been through a hell of a lot and deserves to be playing regularly.

I suppose I'm just gutted he's going as I think he's got a lot of ability, has more to come and he was an important part of the squad which has meant so much to us, I hate any of them leaving. Money isn't everything though and what is a million or two here or there in the crazy world of premier league football! I am proud of the club for not being greedy and holding out for more money and denying him a move he clearly wants. It was the same with Murphy, I think we undersold him but he got his dream move.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
A shame but completely understandable. A great opportunity for Connor to play in front of 50,000 every other week, under an exciting young manager.

You do wonder if the club have gone full galactico and put in a buy-back clause?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Good luck,CG. The fee is IMO about right,( with a sell on !). I Just cannot see us spending anyway near 15 ml for a replacement for him, Dunk maybe,which does beg the question ?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
A loan to the championship would of been the perfect solution for us. He needs to play regular games but is not that far from our first team. Shame to see him go, i hope there is a hefty sell on percentage or buy back clause for us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I understand the reasons people give for saying that £3.5 million is a good return for us but I can't help thinking it is a bit low. I think we could have got more for him, it's going to be tough to get a replacement as good as Connor for that before you add in the fact that he has a great attitude and fits in to our squad so well.

I can also understand the club wanting to help him. He's clearly a good guy, has been through a hell of a lot and deserves to be playing regularly.

I suppose I'm just gutted he's going as I think he's got a lot of ability, has more to come and he was an important part of the squad which has meant so much to us, I hate any of them leaving. Money isn't everything though and what is a million or two here or there in the crazy world of premier league football! I am proud of the club for not being greedy and holding out for more money and denying him a move he clearly wants. It was the same with Murphy, I think we undersold him but he got his dream move.

He wants first team football and is presumably unsettled now. The player/s we bring in will accept being squad players I imagine, especially if they are coming from the Championship or League One and willing to bide their time. So we are replacing an unsettled player with players who will hope to breakthrough but will initially be happy to work at it. Goldson clearly feels he needs more of a challenge now having failed to make the first team.

I totally get that he needs to leave now.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I actually think the opposite.

There won't be many clubs willing to throw that sort of money for a player who can't get into the starting line up of a mid to lower PL team and who has a historical heart condition. His professional indemnity insurance will be phenomenal with that historical illness.

So for me £3.5m is a very good price and a bonus that Connor gets to go and test himself in the football world and get to play regular football hopefully. Highly regarded or not, he was certainly not going to be playing regularly at Brighton. So I say, ''bite their hand off for that level of fee''

I absolutely agree. I think we have come out of this rather well. What many posters on here don't seem to appreciate, is that Connor Goldson has played relatively little first team football over the past three seasons, and almost none of it in The Premier League.

To read some of the comments on here, 'this is the best bit of business Rangers have done in decades', and 'he will be the best defender in Scotland', nonsense l'm afraid. Anyone would think they had just signed Franz Beckenbauer.

That siad, l do like him a s afootballer, and sincerely hope that he does well, but l do wish some people would keep a grip on reality.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A loan to the championship would of been the perfect solution for us. He needs to play regular games but is not that far from our first team. Shame to see him go, i hope there is a hefty sell on percentage or buy back clause for us.

I agree. I have a friend who supports Ipswich who was gutted they didn't get on a season loan last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here