Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wilfried Zaha and Brighton racism

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Anyone trundling our the ‘its not racist as not only black people get malaria.’ Fine, feel free to consider it xenophobic rather than racist. Being that Zaha was born in the Ivory Coast and malaria is strongly associated with Africa.

For those who want to claim that i’m an apologist for the homophobes in our fan base, feel free to check my post history. I’ve always condemned homophobia. I’m a handwringing lefty like the vast majority of you.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
...and here's the thing. We all support clubs with thousands of supporters. Among those thousands there are going to be those that harbour racist views. It's not a competition to demonstrate which club has the fewest racists in its ranks. What needs to happen is for racist remarks and comments to be called out and subjected to proper scrutiny. Sunlight really is the best disinfectant. We've come a long way within a generation but there is still a long, long way to go.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
No, we condemn racism, unreservedly. No problem there.

And thanks for your congratulations on us drawing at home to Tottenham and beating Arsenal and manchester United, which your team couldn't.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I’ve said it’s not very good. Not good taste. But to use the word racism is a bit strong as Maleria & Zaha both come from Africa don’t they?

Either way not very good, but it’s one or two idiots - not thousands of homophobes like your lot.

Sorry, but it's racist.

However, one or two on a train isn't 'brighton fans' as that tweet has made out. It's a couple of idiots, every club has them. They should be punished, move on.

This isn't the same as 15,000 (or whatever the capacity of that shit hole is) fans hurling abuse at a player every time he gets a touch for reporting what he believed to be racism.

People latching on to this are clutching at straws. 'WILL THE FA CONDEMN THIS THEN??' Palace & Burnley really do attract absolute ****ing morons don't they.There are more people acting like complete twats in the replies of that tweet than there are in the ****ing video.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
A small group of idiots singing a song ..... which no one on here is saying is acceptable.

A mass of Burnley fans booing Bong and saying there is nothing wrong with it and he deserves it.

Yeah that’s the same isn’t it !!!

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Ostensibly, it is the exact same thing it’s only the degree that’s different. As people on this thread have pointed out, the age of them is the terrifying part. When I was their age, latent racism was almost invisible. It was merely expressed by old people who ‘dodn’t Know any better’. Do I think Brighton is a racist football club? Of course not. If people feel that’s what i’m trying to highlight, my apologies, I should have been far clearer. These kids however, should be given a banning order for a year to highlight its unacceptability and your fans (not the majority of the thread so far to be honest) should say that too.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Not at Stoke today, was coaching the school team until 11.30. Any comment about the actual topic though? Interesting you can’t seem to manage to condemn your own fans.

None of us care a jot about Zaha - would imagine he is more likely to get grass burns from the constant falling over than malaria, unless there is an outbreak in SE25.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Wow. I thought this thread was going to be Zaha saying he’s been the subject of racist chants from a large number of Brighton fans or similar.

A couple of dickhead children wasnt really what I expected.

Although for the avoidance of doubt - they are racists twats and suitably condemned as such. To compare it to what Bong had to deal with from a large number of Burnley fans during a game is absolutely laughable.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Ostensibly, it is the exact same thing it’s only the degree that’s different. As people on this thread have pointed out, the age of them is the terrifying part. When I was their age, latent racism was almost invisible. It was merely expressed by old people who ‘dodn’t Know any better’. Do I think Brighton is a racist football club? Of course not. If people feel that’s what i’m trying to highlight, my apologies, I should have been far clearer. These kids however, should be given a banning order for a year to highlight its unacceptability and your fans (not the majority of the thread so far to be honest) should say that too.
A far more reasoned post compared to your OP which was snide and antagonistic in tone.

No one is condoning this act, however if you can't see the difference between this and most of a stadium stadium firstly booing a player for reporting racism and then defending the behaviour afterwards then you need to take your blinkers off.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
That’s probably because the OP made was from a point of anger. No one posting when angry makes reasoned posts.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Banning order from what? Taking the train?

Whilst I appreciate your point regarding racism, and it clearly is racist which is unacceptable and should be condoned (and they should be educated on why its unacceptable), no football club can ban supporters of their club for singing a racist song on a train, just because it’s been caught on Twitter. Such a notion is utterly ludicrous to be honest and has a really strong counter argument based in that crazy notion of free speech.

ZizkovClaret

May 17, 2016
A far more reasoned post compared to your OP which was snide and antagonistic in tone.

No one is condoning this act, however if you can't see the difference between this and most of a stadium stadium firstly booing a player for reporting racism and then defending the behaviour afterwards then you need to take your blinkers off.

It has been clarifed several times, the booing was for his actions post-verdict where he sought to undermine the result, including in an interview on your club website which was unprofessional imo.

It was not-proven, yet several sources, this board included have acted as if Jay had very much been found to have been racist, despite this verdict. Burnley fans reacted to this. Had the verdict been proven, i am confident that the reaction for Bong would have been very different, if there would have been any at all.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think the thread title should be changed to "Racist Children sing stupid ignorant song on a train"

Sensationalist thread title, no one on this board condones racism, and you can't seriously think all Brighton fans are similar.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is this your interpretation of holding your own fans to account?

Probably a good idea for you to have quoted my reply to COYP rather than my reply to you. Otherwise you would have looked a bit silly, or should I say sillier.
It has been clarifed several times, the booing was for his actions post-verdict where he sought to undermine the result, including in an interview on your club website which was unprofessional imo.

It was not-proven, yet several sources, this board included have acted as if Jay had very much been found to have been racist, despite this verdict. Burnley fans reacted to this. Had the verdict been proven, i am confident that the reaction for Bong would have been very different, if there would have been any at all.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

What is the point of you posting here?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here