Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton - what to do?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
So he'll stay at Wigan for another season you'd guess. They've barely conceded recently.

If we stay up, I think they will send him to another club, top half chamionship side to get another years experience before vying for the no 1 shirt at the Albion. Especillay as keepers probbaly have longer carears and play to an older age i.e he is still very young, not 23 until November.

My only issue with this is he doesnt get to work with our oustanding coach Ben Roberts.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think Walton has to go for the season as Wigan will want him as number one.

Yes, l feel sure Walton will spend at least one more season out on loan, (probably at Wigan again), promotion to the Championship will test him more, and give Chrish Hughton an idea of what he might be capable of at a highr level.

I'd like to see Tim Kruhl stay for another year as number two, (Chris knows him of old), but really don't see the point in offering Maenpaa another new deal, or him wanting to stay for that matter.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Wigan want him on loan for another season (and I imagine they will) that looks like a win-win situation to me. I'd be happy with either Krul or Maenpaa as our number two - Krul probably gets the nod as an HGP, if he wants to sign on for another season. I expect Maenpaa won't mind going somewhere to get a regular game - and as a free transfer he'll be a useful signing for someone.
I think it's high time we relied on our First Class Academy to provide a third choice GK in the unlikely event of us actually needing one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, l feel sure Walton will spend at least one more season out on loan, (probably at Wigan again), promotion to the Championship will test him more, and give Chrish Hughton an idea of what he might be capable of at a highr level.

I'd like to see Tim Kruhl stay for another year as number two, (Chris knows him of old), but really don't see the point in offering Maenpaa another new deal, or him wanting to stay for that matter.

Pretty much this I'd think.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I really feel for goalkeepers. Such an exposed position on the field of play – one mistake can cost you so dearly – and so difficult to get a game in the first place. I sometimes find myself worrying about Maenpaa and wondering how they stay sane and motivated.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Championship loan is the correct move for the lad.

Another 40 games at that level will do him the world of good.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I really feel for goalkeepers. Such an exposed position on the field of play – one mistake can cost you so dearly – and so difficult to get a game in the first place. I sometimes find myself worrying about Maenpaa and wondering how they stay sane and motivated.

I can think of thousands of reasons why this isn't a problem.

££

End of the day , they may not be playing first choice but money aside there work is basically having a crack with the lads , training and keeping fit.

Dream job

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Championship loan is the correct move for the lad.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly a bit special.

They probably did all the coursework at school but never went to the final exam.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly a bit special.

They probably did all the coursework at school but never went to the final exam.

And if he has not had a new contract with us recently a nice little pay rise would do him no harm in keeping him happy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He has publicly stated he would like to stay in Brighton and challenge Ryan for the number one spot, unless the manager suggests otherwise.

I do not believe he said when he'd like that to happen.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
But if he stays as second choice he gets maybe 12 games all season including cup competitions. Is that good enough to keep him making progress?
Still be very surprised if we didn't keep Krul as back-up & let Waltz go to Wigan for another season.
Interesting whether we keep Maenpaa as 3rd choice or bring in an experienced replacement or promote Sanchez to official 3rd choice & keep him in the DS?

Yes. How many did Pope get as number 2 to Heaton?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
**** all until Heating got injured. Can't plan a young keeper's career on an off chance

Yes. The point I was making is that it didn't do him any harm and isn't an 'off chance' in our case as we know that Ryan will be away for a while next year.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yes. The point I was making is that it didn't do him any harm and isn't an 'off chance' in our case as we know that Ryan will be away for a while next year.

Ryan being away is why he might get as many as a dozen games.
Let him have another season of 40+ games at a good level and as long as he does well he can come back to genuinely compete for the top spot.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here