Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club "investigating" dedicated train service to Manchester

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It applies to 'designated sporting events', I'll leave you to have a wild stab in the dark at what constitutes a 'designated sporting event'....

'Designated sporting events' = an event that is designated as being a sporting one; so, any transport that is designated to be conveying spectators to a sporting event is covered. The law therefore applies to all sports; my point is that I suspect it's only when it's football matches that it gets rigorously enforced.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
'Designated sporting events' = an event that is designated as being a sporting one; so, any transport that is designated to be conveying spectators to a sporting event is covered. The law therefore applies to all sports; my point is that I suspect it's only when it's football matches that it gets rigorously enforced.

Not quite.

Designations

2.—(1) The sports grounds specified in Schedule 1 to this Order, being sports grounds which in the opinion of the Secretary of State have accommodation for more than 10,000 spectators, are designated as sports grounds requiring a safety certificate under the Act.

(2) The sports grounds specified in Schedule 2 to this Order, being sports grounds—
(a) in England and Wales,
(b) at which association football matches are played,
(c) which are occupied by a club that is a member of the Football League Limited or the Football Association Premier League Limited, and
(d) which in the opinion of the Secretary of State have accommodation for more than 5,000 spectators,
are designated as sports grounds requiring a safety certificate under the Act(b).

You can find the full list here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/661/pdfs/uksi_20150661_en.pdf

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Perhaps, given the level of away performance over the last 12 months or so, the club can give a discount to those supporters who have regularly travelled and have had to show remarkable patience and support. Given the amount they pay the players I doubt if that is too much to ask.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not a bad idea. Anyone who suffered the delights of the car park known as the M6 on their way to Liverpool will be looking for alternative solutions for travelling to Manchester....£80 is a bit steep if you're paying for the kids too though.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It does explain why I've seen some people in a drunken stupor asleep at away grounds. I presume they ask their mates about the game, on the way home.
ive been guilty of that although it was 1986. Get on this train and I can see herding by the OB once in Manchester and I won’t be paying £80 for that privilege.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
"Supporters are advised that alcohol will not be permitted on the train, in accordance with legislation."

What's the point in getting a train to an away match if you can't have train beers?

Flask?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I've had conversations with Paul Barber about this. He wouldn't be against the idea of beer being allowed to be drunk in sight of the pitch (why wouldn't he be? We drink an obscene amount of beer at the Amex). When discussing logistics, I pointed out that, in my opinion, that would be great, but don't have the bars open during the match, for the very reason you mention.

Because some people feel the need for a half-time pint, by the time you've been served, 10 minutes into the break, you have the choice to either (a) lorry it down (b) drink and miss some of the game or (c) leave some of it - none of which are particularly great options. So why not have the option of taking it to your seat?

I've also raised this with the Football Supporters' Federation, especially as it would make the logistics of stopping using single-use plastic a lot easier. They're happy to take this up, although other issues (safe standing, ticket prices, rail tickets etc) are occupying the bulk of their time at the moment.

Thank you.

Added to which all the alcohol restrictions / bans to/from and at football matches only came about in the first place as a result of the Taylor Report following Hillsborough. And as we know, Taylor only made the recommendations he did because of the conspiracy among police officers to lie to him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not quite.

Designations

2.—(1) The sports grounds specified in Schedule 1 to this Order, being sports grounds which in the opinion of the Secretary of State have accommodation for more than 10,000 spectators, are designated as sports grounds requiring a safety certificate under the Act.

(2) The sports grounds specified in Schedule 2 to this Order, being sports grounds—
(a) in England and Wales,
(b) at which association football matches are played,
(c) which are occupied by a club that is a member of the Football League Limited or the Football Association Premier League Limited, and
(d) which in the opinion of the Secretary of State have accommodation for more than 5,000 spectators,
are designated as sports grounds requiring a safety certificate under the Act(b).

You can find the full list here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/661/pdfs/uksi_20150661_en.pdf

OK, I'm butting out of this! I'm no lawyer, and that's no error! Still, it looks as if I'm not far wrong in thinking that it's only really football that is affected?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Thank you.

Added to which all the alcohol restrictions / bans to/from and at football matches only came about in the first place as a result of the Taylor Report following Hillsborough. And as we know, Taylor only made the recommendations he did because of the conspiracy among police officers to lie to him.

The wording 'in sight of the pitch' is nonsense, too. I have been to quiz nights, parties, and funeral receptions at the Amex, where I drink alcohol, whilst looking at the pitch.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Ummm because it's faster than travelling by coach, and easier than having to drive perhaps?

Getting pissed enroute and on your way home isn't your main reason for travelling away l take it?

I think you've taken my post a bit too literally.

Having a few beers makes the train journey more enjoyable.It's part of the away day experience.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is not exactly true as my 3 sons went to, I think it was Stoke, being good pool players they won a good few pounds in the pubs during the morning on arrival at the ground the Brighton copper refused 2 of them entry saying that he had been told of their hustling and that it was an offense to enter a sports stadium having consumed alcohol He let the one who was the worse for wear in . No argument except that you cannot do as TLO says.

Good grief.

You can grizzle all you want about some story you've either fabricated or deliberately misunderstood in order to make your point, but when you make that point, it's often in flat contradiction to the law, or common sense. Or usually, both.

You know my name ask that dick head of a copper and he will tell you it is true. They were charged with trying to enter a sports stadium having consumed alcohol and received a conditional discharge or ask Piltdown Man to ask one of my sons about it at the next home game. it is no major issue but not as you describe it going to a game there are still laws governing the consumption of alcohol.

You have misunderstood, or your sons have not told you the whole truth. It is simply NOT an offence, to ‘enter a sports stadium having consumed alcohol”. It IS an offence to try to bring alcohol into the ground, or to try to enter the ground intoxicated, but not simply ‘having consumed alcohol”.

Either your lads were pissed, or the copper decreed that they were.

You can read for yourself here; https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/57

But ultimately if a copper doesn't want to let someone in for whatever reason they can play the "drunk" card knowing full well that it's impossible to prove either way and there's really no way to argue, the only outcome of arguing is a trip to the cells.
In the situation BG describes you have to assume there's something else to the story for them to be refused entry, but there's no reason to assume that it didn't happen. The trick is always to not draw attention to yourself!

I'm not doubting his story that they were turned away. I'm just pointing out that he is wrong about what he claims they were 'charged with'. They absolutely were not charged (and given a conditional discharge) with something that is NOT an offence.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Thank you.

I like TLO's idea. Especially if the bars supplied some of those beer carrier things that you get at the cricket. That way you could carry 8 pints each to your seat and be sorted for the second half. #winning

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'm not doubting his story that they were turned away. I'm just pointing out that he is wrong about what he claims they were 'charged with'. They absolutely were not charged (and given a conditional discharge) with something that is NOT an offence.

A person who is drunk in a designated sports ground at any time during the period of a designated sporting event at that ground or is drunk while entering or trying to enter such a ground at any time during the period of a designated sporting event at that ground is guilty of an offence.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/57

Isn’t that what BG said they were charged with?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
OK, I'm butting out of this! I'm no lawyer, and that's no error! Still, it looks as if I'm not far wrong in thinking that it's only really football that is affected?

Not just football.

The designation under 2 (1) says all sports grounds over 10,000. If you click on the link, it then goes on to list all rugby, cricket and non-league (including Wembley) grounds where the capacity is over 10,000. So The Oval, for example, is on that first list, but Hove isn't.

Designation 2 (2) lists all PL and FL grounds 'over a capacity of 5,000' - i.e. all of them.

Interestingly, no racecourses are on that list, so it is still a bit arbitrary.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A person who is drunk in a designated sports ground at any time during the period of a designated sporting event at that ground or is drunk while entering or trying to enter such a ground at any time during the period of a designated sporting event at that ground is guilty of an offence.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/57

Isn’t that what BG said they were charged with?

He said they were charged with consuming alcohol. That isn't an offence. If it was, it would render the Harvey's bar outside the Amex redundant.

Trying to enter the stadium while drunk IS an offence.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here