Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

D

Deleted member 2719

Decided to listen to music for the first day when I went out for a run.

A wrong decision I couldn't stop myself running too fast. I was actually nearly 30% faster until I blew up and had a 2-minute walk.

Is this a good training strategy???

The problem is I tend to like faster music.

What music do you guys run too that suits your pace???

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Lovely morning in the Prom, but a stinking cold put paid to any chance of a decent time.

An incredible £810 raised through the cake sale.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

A wrong decision I couldn't stop myself running too fast. I was actually nearly 30% faster until I blew up and had a 2-minute walk.

I never listen to music, partly for this reason. This may be weird but I like to keep an even pace as much as possible (for example I ran a two mile tempo interval the other day with splits of 7.42 and 7.43) and to achieve this I tend to count out a rhythm in my head. It gets a little repetitive on a long run but it's almost just there in the background like breathing and arm swing. I am a little strange though and an ex drummer so this may be why. When I hear music - even the music stations on the big races in Brighton or someone playing loudly out of an open top car it disrupts the "count" and I have to really concentrate to get it back. I want to train to the pace of my training schedule and the needs of my legs - if I listened to music I wouldn't do that. It does make the gym really boring though but then I tend to avoid the dreadmill like the plague.

D

Deleted member 2719

I never listen to music, partly for this reason. This may be weird but I like to keep an even pace as much as possible (for example I ran a two mile tempo interval the other day with splits of 7.42 and 7.43) and to achieve this I tend to count out a rhythm in my head. It gets a little repetitive on a long run but it's almost just there in the background like breathing and arm swing. I am a little strange though and an ex drummer so this may be why. When I hear music - even the music stations on the big races in Brighton or someone playing loudly out of an open top car it disrupts the "count" and I have to really concentrate to get it back. I want to train to the pace of my training schedule and the needs of my legs - if I listened to music I wouldn't do that. It does make the gym really boring though but then I tend to avoid the dreadmill like the plague.

I will give it one more go tomorrow, I have planned Spandau Ballet, through the barricades for a constant 30 mins!!

I totally get the rhythm thing I also like to hear my heart thumping out of my chest, on feet hitting the ground.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
While we're on the subject of questions (and because I'm avoiding the City match) have any of you used rock tape for either injury or performance?

I used some on my dodgy hammy in the BM10K on the advice of one of my mates from a Facebook running group who belongs to a club and he helped me put it on. I wasn't really too sure what it was for, except that I didn't feel a single twinge in the race and it's my second best 10K ever. Googling it the other day, though, it's making claims to enhance your performance. I could really use just an extra 1% in Bright10 as I reckon I'll be a minute or so either side of my PB but I'd have no idea what to tape (no, not THAT bit obviously) in order to do so, nor if I really want to celebrate a PB by pulling out all my leg hairs. Any tips? Does anyone think the performance claims are based on fact or a little dubious?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I didn't make it into next year's Boston Marathon :down:

The cutoff was a massive 4:52 under qualifying times this year (I only had 3:27). They've now taken 5 minutes off the qualifying times, so I need to come in under 3h05 to apply next year. Probably need a 3h02 to make sure.
Gutted for you.

I was told that I misunderstood Boston when I posted the text below in a running group:

"I'm not particularly fussed about running the majors, but I think this kind of thing is bullshit.

They know that LOADS of people want to run them, but they ALSO know that those same people have no chance of doing it, because of the rules they put in place. Why not limit the number of times runners can take part? Then everyone who wants to can give it a crack.

At the end of the day, running is meant to be a bit of fun that is accessible to all. Putting up these barriers to entry is just a shitty thing to do for 'normal' runners."

I stand by it - I can't stand the elitism about running sometimes [emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
2 weeks faster pace training hit me hard at the Prom today. Planned on steady 6:55 to 7:10 tempo pace but 7:30 was the default pace. Slight shin splint swelling so will ice, stretch and painfully massage for a couple of days and miss Monday's track if not 100%. Otherwise plan is going well with a few pounds shed and thighs, hamstrings, groin and knee all feeling stronger but they have needed plenty of stretching. 19:59 in 5 weeks time is the target...............

Great fundraising effort at the cake stall.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
While we're on the subject of questions (and because I'm avoiding the City match) have any of you used rock tape for either injury or performance?

I used some on my dodgy hammy in the BM10K on the advice of one of my mates from a Facebook running group who belongs to a club and he helped me put it on. I wasn't really too sure what it was for, except that I didn't feel a single twinge in the race and it's my second best 10K ever. Googling it the other day, though, it's making claims to enhance your performance. I could really use just an extra 1% in Bright10 as I reckon I'll be a minute or so either side of my PB but I'd have no idea what to tape (no, not THAT bit obviously) in order to do so, nor if I really want to celebrate a PB by pulling out all my leg hairs. Any tips? Does anyone think the performance claims are based on fact or a little dubious?

Can help to prevent injury, and speed up recovery from injury but I don’t think it’s performance enhancing, other than maybe allowing you to run harder than you might have been able to if you’re carrying a niggle. Physio explained to me that it helps lift the skin away from the muscle a bit, the extra space for the muscle allowing more blood flow etc. N idea if this is backed up by any science though [emoji23][emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Gutted for you.

I was told that I misunderstood Boston when I posted the text below in a running group:

"I'm not particularly fussed about running the majors, but I think this kind of thing is bullshit.

They know that LOADS of people want to run them, but they ALSO know that those same people have no chance of doing it, because of the rules they put in place. Why not limit the number of times runners can take part? Then everyone who wants to can give it a crack.

At the end of the day, running is meant to be a bit of fun that is accessible to all. Putting up these barriers to entry is just a shitty thing to do for 'normal' runners."

I stand by it - I can't stand the elitism about running sometimes [emoji35][emoji35]

No it's about winning! A race against time, yourself and anyone in front or behind you! :blush:

I like to have a few elite races. Us also rans have plenty of others to do.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Can help to prevent injury, and speed up recovery from injury but I don’t think it’s performance enhancing, other than maybe allowing you to run harder than you might have been able to if you’re carrying a niggle. Physio explained to me that it helps lift the skin away from the muscle a bit, the extra space for the muscle allowing more blood flow etc. N idea if this is backed up by any science though [emoji23][emoji23]

Fairly much what I was thinking. Use if carrying a niggle and you know what you're doing. Steve, the guy who taped me up is a 3.15 marathon runner and knows what he's doing. Me? Not so much :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Anyone at Ealing HM tomorrow?

No Barns Green for me today. I have a spare entry if anyone wants it?

Good luck chaps.

Not for me thanks mate, had to choose between Barns Green and Bright10 as my autumn A race and like 10 miles far too much to miss out on Bright10. I will be setting off for a slow 9 mile "taper" run shortly having had eight hours sleep and no booze last night - unlike Friday!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck chaps.

Not for me thanks mate, had to choose between Barns Green and Bright10 as my autumn A race and like 10 miles far too much to miss out on Bright10. I will be setting off for a slow 9 mile "taper" run shortly having had eight hours sleep and no booze last night - unlike Friday!

Hope the tape works.

3357884C-D64F-4FE1-B487-CB4969BE3E98.jpeg

Attachments

• 5927A0FF-C605-4FE9-B9B6-67EB11CE0B09.jpeg
    5927A0FF-C605-4FE9-B9B6-67EB11CE0B09.jpeg
    527.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck today’s competitors. I’ll be getting the league table updated once i’ve had the race report from [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] who flew to a pb yesterday at Hove Park.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I actually managed to get up and run! Also, I even had the thought while running that if I sort out my times in the short stuff, I might even enter a 10k [emoji33][emoji33]

Anyway, 8.1 miles felt great this morning.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm really pleased with my Barns Green watch time of 1:27:13. Don't know where that came from!

Great to meet up with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] who made it to the start in the end, and gets extra kudos for turning it in to a brick session by cycling to the course and still putting in a handy time!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'm really pleased with my Barns Green watch time of 1:27:13. Don't know where that came from!

Great to meet up with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] who made it to the start in the end, and gets extra kudos for turning it in to a brick session by cycling to the course and still putting in a handy time!

What a lovely event BG is. Slightly disappointed that the new sponsor (Dark Star) wasn’t obviously in evidence, and offering free samples (or even paid-for ones), but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed it. Targeted 1:45 and ran with the really friendly and helpful pacer, who knew the course profile like the back of his hand and set the pace accordingly, slightly ahead of target on the flat and downward bits, to give a buffer for the (many) hills. Came in with 1:44:42, which I was very happy with (as an OAP...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here