Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lewis Dunk for England.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I feel for Dunk but for selfish reasons I’m fine with his being overlooked. We won’t be losing him to any injuries acquired elsewhere. Let the “big clubs” and their fashionable loanees take the hit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not that surprised. Looking at "impartial" reports of our matches from national outlets, most haven't really focused on him. It was only really with our last couple of games that they've started to get attention, notably with Carragher raving about our centre back pair.

Now people are starting to realise that we are actually quite defensively sound, that part of that is the bedrock pairing of Dunk and Duffy, he will start to see some more attention, and his qualities will hopefully earn him a chance.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm not that surprised. Looking at "impartial" reports of our matches from national outlets, most haven't really focused on him. It was only really with our last couple of games that they've started to get attention, notably with Carragher raving about our centre back pair.

Now people are starting to realise that we are actually quite defensively sound, that part of that is the bedrock pairing of Dunk and Duffy, he will start to see some more attention, and his qualities will hopefully earn him a chance.

The benefit for us, but potential negative for Dunk, is that Duffy is the stats defender of the two. He’s the one that wins more in the air and makes more clearances. So, on some level at least, Dunk’s contribution goes under the radar as the covering defender.

Withdean Chappy

Jul 21, 2017
Westdean
He's an excellent 'backs to the wall defender', but the top six teams need defenders who can hold a very high line. This is something we haven't yet seen from Dunk and Duffy in the Premier League, and is what I hope will deter an imminent bid from Liverpool, for instance.

Personally I have little doubt he could do a better job than Louvren, but they have Joe Gomez and want Van Dijk, so I may be worrying for nothing.

It will be interesting next week to compare Dunk to Van Dijk, who is rumoured to be worth anything from 50-70 million.

I certainally agree that Dunk and Duffy have stood out for us,regarding Dunk having successfully stepped up a league this season its another big step at the Internationa i level so he would have to maintain his form for a couple of years before standing a chance of displacing the current England players.
Regarding Van Dijk i watched him on TV last weekend and was not a bit impressed,possibly just an off day for him

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I think that Dunks chan ce will come perhaps not in time for Russia but I can fully understand GS calling up Gomez as he is young and can cover both full back positions as well as CB. The big problem as far as we are concerned is that not getting picked may induce Lewis to ask to join a 'big club' in January to gain recognition.

He might ask but he won't be going anywhere in January. As I have said multiple times before, if Dunk is worth £25m in January, he will be worth at least that if not more at seasons end. If we were to let him go, it would weaken our defence and maybe put our PL survival in jeopardy. Tony won't allow that to happen.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Everybody seem certain that he will be a target for Liverpool but I would put my money on Arsenal or Chelsea to eventually replace Luiz or even Cahill possibly both for Chelsea and England.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Let's face it...keep Stones, Cahill etc and we have ready made scapegoats for the inevitable 2018 Russian Disaster movie known as the World Cup. Heaven forbid we play a team that could defend and maybe progress past the last 16......

Let's wait till July 2018 when Southgate is yet again selling the Big Issue outside Smellhurst and some other poor unfortunate miscreant is cast into the job...

Loftus Cheek for God's sake!

TNBA

TTF

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Talksport (Yeah, I know, rubbish listening) was talking up Dunk this evening prior to the Everton game.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The only reason I can see that Dunk hasn't been picked is that Southgate says he wants to play three centre backs with wing backs, a system Dunk hasn't played in..

I'm still sure he'll get a chance when those picked in this squad get the runaround against the Germans and Brazil.

He, and we could have dodged a bullet,at least he won't come back to us at worst injured or at best tired.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Most people posting on here everybody was used as a generic term to cover a large number of posters.

Totally deluded as normal.
One poster mentioned Liverpool may be deterred from bidding.
Two other posters mentioned Liverpool amongst others.
That's in thirty pages :moo:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
In a selfish kinda way i'm glad he did'nt get the call at the moment, don't want all he is good at ruined by the England way of playing football , sideways sideways back sideways back for CB's , his time will come .

my thoughts as well ... playing for England is not really going to develop him and removes the risk of him being injured for a non-important, non-Brighton game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Missed out again, Michael Keane called up into squad this morning.

He'll not lose the shirt when he gets it, so I suggest LD enjoys the much needed rest, while he can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here