Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings - Southampton (H)

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Maybe I was watching a different game but thought Stephens was very good. Gross is always involved when we score but dipped in and out a little. Had a real purple patch in the second half where he was sublime.

We need to believe we can beat teams from the off rather than waiting half an hour to realise that.

He did give away a stupid foul for their goal !

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Not sure what Stephens had to do with their goal. I thought Murray made the foul in a bad position.
I thought Stephens, Gross, Bong, Dunk, Duffy, Murray were worth 7s otherwise 6s all round, a solid performance but need a little bit more.

stephens.jpg

Could the fact that Stephens gave away a stupid free kick have something to do with the goal?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Saints will struggle without van dyke. He is the best defender I have seen at the Amex. Immense.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I'm beginning to have doubts about Izzy Brown. I realise he was only on for 9 minutes today but each time I see him he seems to give away possession far too often.
Seemed to have a bit of a case of the Chubas today. Real lack of enthusiasm for chasing back and clearing up his own mistakes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ryan 6 Did all he had to do which was very little.
Bruno 6 His usual influence
Duffy 7 A man mountain
Dunk 6.5 Reliable but lost the ball a couple of times dribbling out of defence in the 2nd half.
Bong 7 Good performance both attacking and defending.
Knockhaert 5 Very poor all round just one of those days.
Stephens 7.5 MOM good display even when losing the ball he retrieved it.
Propper 7 Good on the ball and broke up play well.
Izquiredo 6 Always posed a threat.
Gross 6 Quieter game for him but plenty of effort
Murray 6.5 Did all that was expected of him, winning nearly every header including for the goal

Subs not on long enough but think March should have come on for AK but 20 mins earlier than he did for Izquierdo

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Starting to build up solid partnerships in the team, Dunk and Duffy, Stephens and Propper and Murray and Gross, gives us a solid spine.
Good all round team performance we just need to start games with a bit more urgency and not show the opposition so much respect.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm beginning to have doubts about Izzy Brown. I realise he was only on for 9 minutes today but each time I see him he seems to give away possession far too often.

He didn't look great and stopped our momentum a couple of times but I actually felt sorry for him today.

He's a young kid who needs games and he's only getting a few minutes here and there and being played in different positions each time. He's nowhere near getting a start for us when most players are fit and what is his best position anyway?

I wonder if there is a case for ending his loan in January so he can get a move to a top championship club and nail down a position for the rest of the season. We will be making more attacking signings then (probably!) so I can only see him falling further down the pecking order. It might suit all parties for him to go elsewhere, get more game time and free up a loan for us if necessary.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Think I’d agree with the OP and give 6s all round given a very flat performance in a rather boring game.

Harsh to moan and allocate blame for the goal. Next to impossible to avoid giving away some free kicks around the box and it was an excellent free kick though we were unlucky with the rebound.

Think I’d give Hughton 6 too today. His habit of bringing on subs for just the last few minutes when the game is still in the balance seems pointless to me.

Bringing on March is a positive substitution but why only for 5 minutes!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wow -
Massively different opinions on today's game - I thought we were excellent again overall, particularly 2nd half.

Ryan - 6 - didn't have any saves to make & goal not his fault at all.
Bruno - 6.5 - standard Bruno
Dunk - 9 unreal again
Duffy - 9 - how he's the same player that was shite for his first 2 games with us and was hoofing a lot is beyond me completely...!
Bong - 6 - poor first half - much better second

Izzy - 8 - love his pace, looks a real handful.
Knocky - 8 - Has been excellent recently & not getting enough credit from fans uimo
Propper - 8.5 - really felt he did well again today. Don't agree with some marks for him in here.
Stephens 8 - quality on the ball again

Gross - 8 - no pace but so technically gifted. The slow mo cruyff works everytime!
Murray - 8 - great layoffs and flicks - battled well against the excellent VVD

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Saints will struggle without van dyke. He is the best defender I have seen at the Amex. Immense.

Apart from Lewis Dunk & Shane Duffy... I agree on VD though - brilliant player. We were so close to getting him when bloody Celtic did!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Two evenly talented teams both playing 4-4-2 invariably end up 1-1. Hardly any mistakes; all 7. CH 6.9, deduction for the puzzling substitutions.

I thought the match could have used Kayal running with ball in midfield. But Knocky could have been moved more central for the same effect.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I did not see anything special and he did not seem all that composed. More like Goldson than Duffy in that game.
I thought that Otamendi, Kompany, Jagielka, and Evans were as good if not better.

I thought Southampton were a better team than WBA, Newcastle, Everton.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agree with this. We’ve just matched a team that has been in the PL for five years and has some really talented players. The fact we looked as good as Southampton suggests to me our players largely deserve marks of 8/10 or so and unanimous backing, yet most of what I’m reading is 6/10 and negative. Bong was a bit shaky and Ryan didn’t really have anything to do, but other than that it’s bravo all round. The central defenders have got a bit of a well deserved reputation now, but the central midfielders aren’t far behind for me. After a slow start Stephens has been on it in the last few weeks and I said about four games ago that Propper is one hell of a player and I stand by that. Some of his touches are sheer class.

BAng on. Glad it wasn't just me a little perplexed at some fans' opinions of today's game!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Agree with this. We’ve just matched a team that has been in the PL for five years and has some really talented players. The fact we looked as good as Southampton suggests to me our players largely deserve marks of 8/10 or so and unanimous backing, yet most of what I’m reading is 6/10 and negative. Bong was a bit shaky and Ryan didn’t really have anything to do, but other than that it’s bravo all round. The central defenders have got a bit of a well deserved reputation now, but the central midfielders aren’t far behind for me. After a slow start Stephens has been on it in the last few weeks and I said about four games ago that Propper is one hell of a player and I stand by that. Some of his touches are sheer class.

Think it depends from where you start from.... 60% is a pass mark for me so 6 means OK.....I thought we were generally Ok and no one had a stinker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here