Frank Worthington - Legend

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

harold robbins

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone out there got any stories about the great man?. Apologies if I`ve confused him with someone else but I`m sure that I heard that he played one game whilst stoned on some hallucinatory substance. Apparently, he had to be substituted at half time beacuse one of the corner flags had turned into a monster and was coming after him!!.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Didn't he break a young Tim Flowers' wrist when taking a penalty for us against Wolves, in 1985? Flowers saved it, did his wrist in the process, then the ref ordered a retake from which Worthington scored.

We beat Wolves 5-0 and sent them down to Div 3 as was.

During that game;

Bloke behind me - "Use your pace, Frank"

*Frank rolls ball forward two feet, and takes one tiny step forward*

Bloke behind me - "That's it!"

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I remember the game, and the penalty (I was stood on the South West and it was into the South goal). The keeper was in agony, but I don't remember it being Flowers.

However, I do remember the Wolves manager running down the touchline to check his keeper was alright, but rather than looking all serious and concerned he was laughing and waving at the crowd. Was it Tommy Doc ??

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It was. That was the day he said famously in the bar after the game, when asked what he wanted, 'revolver I think'.

It may not have been Flowers, I was only 14 at the time, but for some reason his name suggested itself.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
The Wolves match was near the end of the season and they were virtually, if not already, down. I'm pretty sure it was Tim Flowers in goal - he'd have been about 17.

I remember one match when the supporters bus got back to the Goldstone at the same time as the team coach. Frank got into his BMW (possibly with passengers Danny Wilson and Jimmy Case) and reversed down Newtown Road at about 40 mph before heading off to some club or other.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Did I hear that Tim Flowers has retired this summer?

Brady's Old Lady

Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I remember a game against Notts Co. They went one up, and Justin Fashanu crocked both our centre halves. This was before multiple subs, so we were down to 10 men (that happened every time I saw Justin F play against us. In the past when he played for Norwich he got Andy Rollings and Neil McNab sent off - Rollings threw one of the best punches I've seen at a football match).

Anyway I can't remember who scored the equalizer but Frank got the winner with an absolute peach - curled from outside the box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports