Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] RIP Lord Ashdown

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"Ashdown announced his intention to resign as Leader of the Liberal Democrats on 20 January 1999,[31] departing on 9 August that year after 11 years in the role, and was succeeded by Charles Kennedy.[32] In the summer of 1999, there was speculation that he would be appointed the new Secretary General of NATO; however, his lack of governmental experience meant that doubts were raised about his suitability. The post was ultimately filled by Labour Defence Secretary George Robertson.[33][34][35]"

A political giant, indeed.

:shrug:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
"Ashdown announced his intention to resign as Leader of the Liberal Democrats on 20 January 1999,[31] departing on 9 August that year after 11 years in the role, and was succeeded by Charles Kennedy.[32] In the summer of 1999, there was speculation that he would be appointed the new Secretary General of NATO; however, his lack of governmental experience meant that doubts were raised about his suitability. The post was ultimately filled by Labour Defence Secretary George Robertson.[33][34][35]"

Yes the political giant that is George Robertson...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes the political giant that is George Robertson...

Exactly. Neither he nor Ashdown were. But the tiny mouthed jock got the job. Speaks volumes.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Who do you think is doing the trolling? Not me.

I made an analysis of Ashdown that went against the flow of arse-kissing genuflection. That seems to have given what's his name a green light to waft homophobic-lite innutwattiendo at me. Nowt to do with taste. :shrug:

I wouldn’t have said that I thought you were doing the trolling if I thought it was someone else.

And I do think it is in extremely poor taste to “go against the flow of arse-kissing genuflection” on an RIP thread. Which is why I said that. You disagree. Crack on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wouldn’t have said that I thought you were doing the trolling if I thought it was someone else.

And I do think it is in extremely poor taste to “go against the flow of arse-kissing genuflection” on an RIP thread. Which is why I said that. You disagree. Crack on.

Well your first comment is simply wrong.

As for your second, we'll see how that pans out when Corbyn popps his clogs. Respect....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
A non jobbing politician, he saw the real world. Sadly today all MPs are career politicians with no idea about what it's like to live the real life.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Last but one tweet:

We see clearly now who the ERG playgroup really are. Bad judgement, poor timing, over-grown egos, fantasy politics, prep-school tactics - they are less a political movement - more a Beano comic strip about Lord Snooty's little rag-tag gang throwing ink-balls at the headmistress.

RIP Paddy

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
A good man that I had a lot of time for. His family will be rightly proud of him. RIP.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Didnt agree with his politics but would gladly replace hundreds of current MP`s with hundreds of Ashdowns.......all you need to know about the man(we all have our faults) and his commitment to public service over the self interest prevalent today.
Politics needs more Ashdowns not less.
RIP

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Not a saint
Not a ****

Wish there were a few more of his ilk in parliament at the moment (obviously not this moment as it's silly o'clock ..... and even if it wasn't they're all on holiday for a couple of weeks practicing being *****)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Good man,with a normal person's weaknesses and foibles.Will be greatly missed in politics.RIP.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Unfortunately he was destined never to be a 'political giant' the moment he joined the Liberal Party.

That's not to say that I didn't admire the man greatly because I did. Many of his views were shared by me too, and I do agree with much of what the Liberal Democrats are trying to do, certainly when it comes to the EU.

R.I.P Paddy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here