Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix show - “Sunderland ‘til I Die”

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Just watched the first few. Not bad, made much more entertaining by the fact that we all know how it ends. Far too much confidence that they'll simply be challenging at the top cos they're one of the big boys just relegated. Big mistake.

Don't like how much these documentaries over dramatise action on the pitch though. Super slow-mo and hugely dramatic music for a penalty during a pre season friendly for example. Thought that during the City one too
Way more entertaining than the squeaky clean City one though

I think it was more to do with the message about us missing one and losing so badly.

I dont think people were expecting us to challenge just because we were a 'big boy' probably more due to the team on paper. As fans we were buoyant but given what had happened in the last few seasons there was always a doubt at the back of the mind

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think it was more to do with the message about us missing one and losing so badly.

I dont think people were expecting us to challenge just because we were a 'big boy' probably more due to the team on paper. As fans we were buoyant but given what had happened in the last few seasons there was always a doubt at the back of the mind

Ha, didn't expect a reply from a Sunderland fan!

I guess i meant the club rather than the fans.
Although the more I watch the more it's becoming apparent that they're worried about the lack of depth . Looking forward to getting a behind the scenes look into a club in crisis as the season goes from bad to worse. Must have been a tough watch as a fan?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Ha, didn't expect a reply from a Sunderland fan!

I guess i meant the club rather than the fans.
Although the more I watch the more it's becoming apparent that they're worried about the lack of depth . Looking forward to getting a behind the scenes look into a club in crisis as the season goes from bad to worse. Must have been a tough watch as a fan?

3 episodes so far myself - plus side was seeing myself as an international TV star (celebrating a couple of goals) the negative is pretty much everything else.

As much as I think he did a bad job for us and deep down most of us expected it during his run, he really was missold the job and that becomes very clear especially around basically a change in recruitment policy right at the crunch time of the market.

Fingers crossed Season 2 which is getting filmed at the moment will have a better ending

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Am I the only one who preferred the City documentary on Prime? I am enjoying this Sunderland one, but I was astonished by just how deep you got to delve into a club with the stature of City. Those half-time team talks, even though I understood about 15% of what Pep was going on about, were magical.

I feel like Sunderland Til I Die is enjoyable, but doesn't offer too much more than an in-depth feature on Footie Focus would give.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Am I the only one who preferred the City documentary on Prime? I am enjoying this Sunderland one, but I was astonished by just how deep you got to delve into a club with the stature of City. Those half-time team talks, even though I understood about 15% of what Pep was going on about, were magical.

I feel like Sunderland Til I Die is enjoyable, but doesn't offer too much more than an in-depth feature on Footie Focus would give.

I loved Pep’s halftime team talks so much so I would go into kitchen move some fridge magnets around frantically and speak enthusiastically to the wife in a Spanish accent.

Sunderland til I die does have that sadistic schadenfreude element to it that makes you want to carry on watching. The only negative for me is that northern working class mentality of ‘my family is poorer than your family’. Jesus wept those mines closed over 30 years ago, time to get over yourselves.

Brighton Mackem

Mar 12, 2013
South of Sunderland
There was a fear at the beginning of last season among supporters that we would suffer back to back relegation and so it was realised. Being at some of those games was horrible, at Bristol City the cameraman was removed from the crowd for his own safety as we were 3-0 down at the time and some were not happy having a camera being pointed at them. Thought we might be relegated again this season as the club was in such a mess, at least Ellis Short walked away taking a massive financial hit and thus avoiding administration, unlike the c**ts that left BHA to rot in the 90's. This season is a lot more fun mostly apart from being soaked to the skin at Accrington then the match being abandoned.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
There was a fear at the beginning of last season among supporters that we would suffer back to back relegation and so it was realised. Being at some of those games was horrible, at Bristol City the cameraman was removed from the crowd for his own safety as we were 3-0 down at the time and some were not happy having a camera being pointed at them. Thought we might be relegated again this season as the club was in such a mess, at least Ellis Short walked away taking a massive financial hit and thus avoiding administration, unlike the c**ts that left BHA to rot in the 90's. This season is a lot more fun mostly apart from being soaked to the skin at Accrington then the match being abandoned.

That’s the game where a camera got broken is it not? Quite a lot of the crowd shots seem to focus on specific supporters, so I’m presuming they all gave their consent at the start of the season.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So I've just got to Chris "He's turned it around" Coleman being appointed. Knowing how this ends is just brilliant :lolol:

I watch the credits every time as they are still hilarious.

Anyway, some real highlights:

The AWFUL player research. The DAY you know you're relegated from the prem or at least know it's a real likelihood, you should start with the recruitment. You know your budget. Go and watch League One until you're bored of football. Find that gem. They've got to something like 10 days to go and were just coming to the conclusion that League One might be a good area to target.

Their list of prem targets was BRILLIANT. Scott McTominay (Mourinho's favourite player), Will Hughes (was tearing it up in the PREM at that time), Kayal (was broken).

And then Bain asking "Why is Ibrahimovic on this list?". Not for one moment do I think someone thought they could sign him but take it off the list guys :lolol:

Rodwell sitting there with the player liason officer. Liason officer watching the game saying how well the lads are doing, Rodwell on his phone :lolol:

The fan before the celtic game. "if we could hit them for four then that would really boost the confidence".

A genuine point. I am as guilty as anyone for forgetting players have a life outside of football. Now, I'm not pleading for sympathy but my heart sank a bit when I saw that german keeper signing, seemed a LOVELY polite bloke and then cutting to him and his young wife/girlfriend moving into a house with there extremely young baby. That's not easy, for him or for her and sometimes that's easy to forget. It's why I can't get wound up at people like Locadia. You just never know what's going on. I thought the same when I saw Sergio Aguero in the man city one. He was just rattling around this massive house on his own, his sons bedroom empty just waiting for his next visit. The money is LOVELY, I'm sure, but these things must effect you in a foreign country.

Jonny Williams. Put Palace aside for a second, I felt awfully for him. he seems a really good egg and he has so much talent. A real shame.

Enjoying it. Getting past the over-dramatization and weird shots where they cut to a completely different game, it's quite entertaining.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Thank you thats a much better way of saying what I wanted to! This season has been good and hope it continues like that on Saturday

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
So I've just got to Chris "He's turned it around" Coleman being appointed. Knowing how this ends is just brilliant :lolol:

I watch the credits every time as they are still hilarious.

Anyway, some real highlights:

The AWFUL player research. The DAY you know you're relegated from the prem or at least know it's a real likelihood, you should start with the recruitment. You know your budget. Go and watch League One until you're bored of football. Find that gem. They've got to something like 10 days to go and were just coming to the conclusion that League One might be a good area to target.

Their list of prem targets was BRILLIANT. Scott McTominay (Mourinho's favourite player), Will Hughes (was tearing it up in the PREM at that time), Kayal (was broken).

And then Bain asking "Why is Ibrahimovic on this list?". Not for one moment do I think someone thought they could sign him but take it off the list guys :lolol:

Rodwell sitting there with the player liason officer. Liason officer watching the game saying how well the lads are doing, Rodwell on his phone :lolol:

The fan before the celtic game. "if we could hit them for four then that would really boost the confidence".

A genuine point. I am as guilty as anyone for forgetting players have a life outside of football. Now, I'm not pleading for sympathy but my heart sank a bit when I saw that german keeper signing, seemed a LOVELY polite bloke and then cutting to him and his young wife/girlfriend moving into a house with there extremely young baby. That's not easy, for him or for her and sometimes that's easy to forget. It's why I can't get wound up at people like Locadia. You just never know what's going on. I thought the same when I saw Sergio Aguero in the man city one. He was just rattling around this massive house on his own, his sons bedroom empty just waiting for his next visit. The money is LOVELY, I'm sure, but these things must effect you in a foreign country.

Jonny Williams. Put Palace aside for a second, I felt awfully for him. he seems a really good egg and he has so much talent. A real shame.

Enjoying it. Getting past the over-dramatization and weird shots where they cut to a completely different game, it's quite entertaining.

Agree with pretty much all of this. The recruitment looked an absolute shambles. There was no coherence between the different football aspects of the club (the people and facilities looked fantastic though). It all came down to Martin Bain, really. The structure we have seems light years ahead of Sunderland where we have a plan and ongoing recruitment activity making sure we have options when the window opens. Proof if need be that in the mustard jumper we have a brilliant chief executive.

And as you say, putting palace aside, Jonny Williams comes out of it really well. Just a polite, soft spoken, somewhat scared lad trying to string a few games of football together.

I’ve finished the series now and thought it was fascinating.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Thoroughly enjoyed the series. The whole community seems to have the football club running through their veins. Very unimpressed with many of the Sunderland staff. I thought that our fans were either black or white, but the Mackems take it to another level. Respect for Jonny Williams. Have developed a soft spot for Sunderland as a consequence of the series.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Just finished Ep4.

I’m enjoying it but the lack of dressing room action really holds it back IMO. The interesting bit (for me at least) is seeing all those big egos clash when they’re struggling. Watching them fall apart and drop points again loses a lot of the impact when you can’t see what happens behind closed doors afterwards.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
just started watching the first few episodes...so far the main thing I've been surprised by is the fact that Simon Grayson was doing a terrible motivational talk to the players using a flip chart. I'd like to think that a club that just spent a decade in the premier league would have something more professional setup. It was like watching a poor David Brent talk from the Office.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Wait until Ashley Fletcher turns up. Has lots of talent, works hard, and nothing comes off. Really made me feel like Locadia is suffering from having to battle through confidence issues whilst struggling to adapt to his surroundings.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Only on the second episode. Really enjoying it, BUT.

The match scenes are awfully produced.

The crowd noises are so clearly not from the incidents being shown, they overdubbed a bloody rugby whistle.. They cut to reactions from the wrong bit of the game or another game altogether. I noticed it the most during the Brentford game in episode 2 when they kept cutting to Grayson at the KCOM.

Feels like it was edited by somebody with absolutely no clue about football.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I seem to be in a minority here, but I found the whole thing pretty dull. As pointed out already, some of the editing is pretty dire and doesn't really follow with what's being said or focused on at the time. The lack of access when compared to the City one does really hold it back, in my opinion. Overall, we don't learn much more about the club than most neutrals wouldn't have already known before sitting down to watch even one second of it:

- The club and the community have a very tight-knit relationship. One club city, most people follow the team.

- Passionate and loyal support (big attendances in lower leagues).

- A disinterested chairman.

- A squad containing players who were massively over-paid and under-motivated.

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
The 2 fans touching Bob Stokoe's foot outside the ground every game 'for luck' ... FFS you haven't won a home game for a year ... stop doing it!

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
just started watching the first few episodes...so far the main thing I've been surprised by is the fact that Simon Grayson was doing a terrible motivational talk to the players using a flip chart. I'd like to think that a club that just spent a decade in the premier league would have something more professional setup. It was like watching a poor David Brent talk from the Office.

YES! You've taken the words right out of my mouth. Jesus, that was excruciating to watch. He came across as completely incompetent.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Only on the second episode. Really enjoying it, BUT.

The match scenes are awfully produced.

The crowd noises are so clearly not from the incidents being shown, they overdubbed a bloody rugby whistle.. They cut to reactions from the wrong bit of the game or another game altogether. I noticed it the most during the Brentford game in episode 2 when they kept cutting to Grayson at the KCOM.

Feels like it was edited by somebody with absolutely no clue about football.

Putting clips of the players in shirts with poppys on them into games where they aren't wearing them is a bit jarring.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here