Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] O/T replacement or replica WW1 medals

Personally I wouldn't buy a genuine one because that will have been awarded to someone else who you don't know. I would go the route of replica medals and be proud to wear them on the right. Enjoy the day. I know quite a few guys who wear replicas on parade for fear of losing their original ones. This is my fear and tempted to go the same route.

Thanks for this, I think you are right; buying an original wouldn't feel right, you never know, it might have belonged to someone my Grandfather couldn't stand the sight of!!!

There seems to be a number of companies selling replica sets of 3 - 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal for about £40. But this isn't something that I want to skimp on, I want to make sure whatever I can get is as good as it could be. Two or three people on here have recommended Mess Dress and they have a set for £70 https://www.messdress.com/shop/medals/popular-ready-made-medals-sets/full-size-replacement-sets/ww-1-full-size-1914-1915-star-1378741.html

So that's almost certainly what I will go for. I'll have his original Old Contemptibles badge and these replicas. I like the idea of wearing them on the right breast, I wouldn't want people to think they were my medals. I know I'm old but I'm not that bloody old!

So I'll wear them in the procession and remember my Grandad who did make it through the war as well as the millions of others who did and didn't.

And I'll thank God I wasn't born two generations earlier!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanks for this, I think you are right; buying an original wouldn't feel right, you never know, it might have belonged to someone my Grandfather couldn't stand the sight of!!!

There seems to be a number of companies selling replica sets of 3 - 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal for about £40. But this isn't something that I want to skimp on, I want to make sure whatever I can get is as good as it could be. Two or three people on here have recommended Mess Dress and they have a set for £70 https://www.messdress.com/shop/medals/popular-ready-made-medals-sets/full-size-replacement-sets/ww-1-full-size-1914-1915-star-1378741.html

So that's almost certainly what I will go for. I'll have his original Old Contemptibles badge and these replicas. I like the idea of wearing them on the right breast, I wouldn't want people to think they were my medals. I know I'm old but I'm not that bloody old!

So I'll wear them in the procession and remember my Grandad who did make it through the war as well as the millions of others who did and didn't.

And I'll thank God I wasn't born two generations earlier!

Pip Squeak and Wilfred. Funnily enough, my Granddad didn't get the Victory medal, as he'd been invalided out of the Army Service Corps by Armistice Day. Seems unfair, doesn't it?

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
Interesting thread that I am glad I read.
I have both Grandfathers' sets of medals (nothing special but most importantly they both survived their conflicts) and I have always planned to mount and display them in my house. Always wondered about changing the ribbons but the original ribbons although discoloured and worn were theirs so although they won't look as nice, my feeling is to leave them as is. What do people think?

I think you're right. Always the original.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interesting thread that I am glad I read.
I have both Grandfathers' sets of medals (nothing special but most importantly they both survived their conflicts) and I have always planned to mount and display them in my house. Always wondered about changing the ribbons but the original ribbons although discoloured and worn were theirs so although they won't look as nice, my feeling is to leave them as is. What do people think?

Not only were my Granddad's WW1 ribbons frayed, but the clasps were missing, so they looked awful. I feel by having them restored, I'm honouring him.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just a quick post to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, there were some very useful suggestions and comments for which I am very grateful.

And no "turn it offf and turn it back on again" posts - at least, not yet!

Hows Glyne Gap this morning :)

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
As a few have said Mess Dress in Bournemouth are great. I had a very short notice mess do and they did my ribbons and remounted my medals in a couple of hours. They have forgotten more than most will ever know about medals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here