Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Gunpowder bbc series - not for the faint hearted

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Well we enjoyed it. Also enjoying the Last Post.

Now that is far fetched. I knew people who served in Aden.

I haven't watched Gunpowder as I knew beforehand it was very graphic, and as I know the history of persecutions by both sides, I didn't think it was 'entertainment'.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
At the end Guy Fawkes kills William Turner, one of Cecil's spies, who the series claimed was from 'Battle in Sussex.' Does anyone know if Turner was actually from Battle?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
You realise at Lewes etc they are not actually anti catholic but just re-enacting history, just like they do at Battle with the Norman conquest re-enactments.

Are you sure about that? When I went out with a Lewes girl I got hostility from some of her friends in the Cliffe Society when I admitted that I happened to be brought up Catholic. Having said that I laughed about it at the time and wouldn't want Lewes to stop burning the pope. The only time I felt annoyed and threatened was when Ian Paisley put in an appearance handing out leaflets and bellowing about the "Romish antichrist". At least I had the pleasure of shouting b*****s to him.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I haven't watched Gunpowder as I knew beforehand it was very graphic, and as I know the history of persecutions by both sides, I didn't think it was 'entertainment'.

Oh yeah, I am sure that it is far fetched but there is a decent storyline in there and some good acting so far. I just hope for a decent ending!

Am not sure that things like Gunpowder are made for entertainment are they? I would not describe Schindlers List or the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan as entertaining for example. Does not stop them from being good viewing though. Depends upon ones definition of entertainment I suppose.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Oh yeah, I am sure that it is far fetched but there is a decent storyline in there and some good acting so far. I just hope for a decent ending!

Am not sure that things like Gunpowder are made for entertainment are they? I would not describe Schindlers List or the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan as entertaining for example. Does not stop them from being good viewing though. Depends upon ones definition of entertainment I suppose.

The Last Post is very anti officer, although I suspect Wrong Direction would disagree. The wives are very unrealistic stereotypes too.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I made the mistake of eating my dinner while watching the execution scenes, I'll agree they were graphic but they weren't over the top.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Saw the first episode today. There were, of course, some graphic scenes, but then I felt my trip to the London Dungeons with the kids when they were little was rather more hair raising. But I had to turn off half way simply because I found it dull, cliched, one dimensional, and cringeingly over acted. Absolutely not a patch on Wolfe Hall, which told a proper human story in an intelligent, witty and thoughtful way.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

My father served in Aden, and I was mystified why the son had his hair that long, given its the 1960s and he is the son of an officer, it would have been a short back and sides with zero option of growing the length.

There are many other areas of the series which would indicate that the series was written by someone who has undertaken very little research into the Aden conflict and instead has focused on 'entertainment' and a 'storyline' without including any historical accuracy.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
I really enjoyed the first episode - I've always been fascinated by the plot as my birthday is 5th November too. The real brutality of the time (specifically in this case, towards the Catholic recusants) should not be underestimated. That said it was a challenge to watch the execution scene. I haven't been able to find evidence (online) that the character from Sussex was based on anyone real.

Interesting links too as Kit Harington is a direct descendant of Robert Catesby (his middle name is Catesby).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...veals-family-connection-to-the-gunpowder-plot

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
The religious context needs a bit more unwrapping, as much as it is about theological differences the real issue was less about church dogma and really how it played out on the political landscape of the time. In short Catholic Europe vs Protestant England. The Armada was still fresh in the mind of many, the idea of the Catholics offering a political (or real) beach head to an invading enemy was something which was always in the background ever since Elizabeth had been excommunicated in 1570.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
BBC4 have been running a superb season on the Tudors and how the Reformation shaped the World. Gunpowder shows some pretty barbaric Stuart activities but as we all know Mary Tudor was as bad as any in the persecute the opposition stakes. I must admit that I am not one for usually watching gore and blood but this was well put together and old Guy Fawkes pooped up at the end of episode 1 to get one's interest up for episode 2.

They were violent times, but the Reformation shaped the World as we know it now. Even Starkey managed to liken it to Brexit.

History is interesting innit?
TNBA

TTF

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here