Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
... Liam Fox, which is even more extraordinary. He's one of the three Brexit negotiators - you know, what this election is meant to be all about.

And on the other side? Other than Abbott's comedy shows, I can't recall seeing or hearing from anyone other than Corbyn, although I'd try and pretend McDonnell was on holiday or something if he was on my team too.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
And on the other side? Other than Abbott's comedy shows, I can't recall seeing or hearing from anyone other than Corbyn, although I'd try and pretend McDonnell was on holiday or something if he was on my team too.

The keep sending out their favourite attack dog... Barry Gardiner. Not sure who else they have got.

To be honest, it's quite a good strategy... promise everyone lots of nice things (which most people never expect to be delivered but it makes you sound like you care)... and let the Tories carry on ****ing up their own campaign.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

The Labour Brexit team have been very prominent - Thornberry and Gardiner have been in the media almost as much as Corbyn. Starmer, a bit less so. McDonnell hasn't been as prominent as you'd expect a shadow chancellor to be - but that may be a reaction to Hammond's low profile.

As well as Thornberry and Gardiner, Rayner and Long-Bailey have been pretty prominent too. The person who has kept a low profile is Tom Watson - very strange in a deputy leader.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because there isn't much to be smug about is there? From a position of some strength, the whole damn thing has been a fiasco from start to finish... and we aren't even at the finish yet... and might not be for weeks? It's an embarrassment, I am just clinging on to the hope that it doesn't turn into a catastrophe.
No, no there isn't. :lol: Lovely stuff. *chortle*

Allow me:

The Tories poll lead in this poll is 5% over Labour, but

1. This is down from a 23 point gap in late April, and 15 points in mid-May
2. The raw/unadjusted data in this poll show Labour leading 43-40…only an aggressive adjustment, got us to a 5 point Tory lead

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/2017-06/pm-june-charts.pdf

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The Labour Brexit team have been very prominent - Thornberry and Gardiner have been in the media almost as much as Corbyn. Starmer, a bit less so. McDonnell hasn't been as prominent as you'd expect a shadow chancellor to be - but that may be a reaction to Hammond's low profile.

As well as Thornberry and Gardiner, Rayner and Long-Bailey have been pretty prominent too. The person who has kept a low profile is Tom Watson - very strange in a deputy leader.

Keith Starmer and Rebecca Long-Bailey are very impressive.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Keith Starmer and Rebecca Long-Bailey are very impressive.

Keir Starmer.

One thing that does surprise me about the Labour campaign is the lack of attention that has been paid to Brexit. This is one area where Labour has a massive advantage over the Tories: their Brexit team are two lawyers (one of them, an extremely senior one) and an expert in international trade and arbitration. The Tory team is a journalist (who was sacked for lying), a GP and a businessman. Labour is clearly better suited to discuss the fine print of hundreds of trade agreements but this advantage is scarcely mentioned.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Keir Starmer.

One thing that does surprise me about the Labour campaign is the lack of attention that has been paid to Brexit. This is one area where Labour has a massive advantage over the Tories: their Brexit team are two lawyers (one of them, an extremely senior one) and an expert in international trade and arbitration. The Tory team is a journalist (who was sacked for lying), a GP and a businessman. Labour is clearly better suited to discuss the fine print of hundreds of trade agreements but this advantage is scarcely mentioned.

I thought Theresa May was doing it all for the Tories ?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I've finally made my decision to tactically vote for Lib dem as they were marginally second in the 2015 election in the constituency where I now live, this will be the first time ever I have not voted Labour, but the Tory majority has to be weakened, so needs must.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Well, living in the catchment of 'Mid Sussex', ain't nothing gonna change out here.
Sussex.JPG

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Vince Cable criticises Theresa May's economic credentials:

More on criticisms by ex-business secretary Sir Vince Cable of Theresa May's economic credentials - he tells an anecdote about the time they served together in government. The Liberal Democrat treasury spokesman was in the Cabinet with Mrs May as part of the 2010-2015 coalition government led by David Cameron.

"She has some likeable characteristics and admirable characteristics, but it was always very clear that she was never the slightest bit interested in economic policy," he told an audience in central London.

Sir Vince spoke of Mrs May's determination, while home secretary, to cut the number of temporary visas for overseas students. He said he and other ministers had asked her why a policy that undermined universities and industry was being followed.

"And the answer we got was intriguing and revealing and highly relevant to today... it was: 'So what? What does it matter if it's damaging the economy? We're controlling the immigration.'"

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Don't understand this one in Mid Sussex, Labour beat LibDem by c.1400 votes in 2015 yet that site suggests voting Yellow to oust Soames and not Red.

It was probably based on early polling and very low initial Labour support... so it's all a bit buggered really... not that it was ever really going to make much of an impact.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't understand this one in Mid Sussex, Labour beat LibDem by c.1400 votes in 2015 yet that site suggests voting Yellow to oust Soames and not Red.

Have LibDems done better there in the past? Perhaps it is because they expect some drift from Blue to Yellow, and suggest Labour voters add to that?

Probably entirely academic in that seat, as you say.

I'm also a 'Labour voter' who'll be voting LibDem, as I'm in a marginal LibDem (over Tory) constituency.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

I have the same in my mum constituency. The wiki table for 2015 says labour came 2nd however the site tells me to vote lib dem... Judging by the all the lib dem posters in the windows i shall stick to what the site says.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here