Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(Good Old) Sussex By The Sea

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]896408925301596160[/tweet]
It never ceases to amaze me the completely different view you get of the same event, from the same stadium.

Dunk's sumptuous pass must have looked outstanding from up there.
Verses my "Oh Gross isn't happy about not taking this free kick".

I wouldn't swap for anything, but really must try and make a second trip to the 'gods' up in the West Stand.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Norman Wisdom famously re-wrote the lyrics to Brighton and Hove Albion's anthem, Sussex by the Sea, and was regularly on the pitch at The Goldstone Ground singing it and whipping the crowd into a frezy before kick off.
Hardly regularly. After his "famous", mostly self-promoting performance, Wisdom's version of the song was quickly dropped, and never saw the light of day again.

It's a shame that it's taken so long for the original words to be recognised for their true significance, and taken up by Albion crowds that now regularly approach 30,000 to such great effect. Truly fantastic stuff. And surely, the end of that meaningless "going up to win the cup" nonsense.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm enjoying this 'revenge of the oldies' on this thread :)
I sung 'going up to win the cup' from 1973 as a kid until the AMEX era. When the club publicised the correct words i was happy to sing those instead, they are stirring and, crucially, make sense. I don't think that just because some people look at the screens that it means they don't know the nonsensical version, rather, they are unlikely to know the proper words and want to get them right.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I only remember "going up to/and win the cup", not sure which, from my Goldstone days. Obviously, to, makes no sense. I am changing and have changed to stand or fall, as they are clearly the correct words and are much much better anyway. I have also taught my kids, stand our fall, so, I think the the future will be stand or fall..

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Regardless of the history, I have always sung going up to win the cup, and i think it sounds better with "duh duh duh duh duh duh" at the start than the actual lyrics

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Exactly why I don't sing it. I like to seperate deaths from pointless wars from pointless ball games. I'm all for going up to win the cup but the rest of you can sing what you want.

When I first started singing GOSBTS back in 197..... it was Going Up and Win The Cup. If you want to come along 50 years later and think you are ever going to make me change, well it just aint happening.

Agreed .I have always sung the cup version and it was only at a cup game last season when I changed seats and realised some people around me were looking at the screens and singing the words being shown. The did not know the old north stand version.

As others have said, the cup version is often sung as a terrace chant during the game. Quite why you would want to sing the wrong words to the original song with words on the screen is beyond me, I would almost get it if you were singing the original words but you're not.

My personal opinion is that it would sound even better than it already does if everyone was in unison singing the original version, the club obviously want us to sing stand or fall too as they put the bloody words up!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"You can tell them all that we STAND OR FALL for Sussex by the sea" - wonderfully emotive, and the best line of the entire anthem. It is pure poetic defiance, and perfectly broadcasts the sense of PRIDE about where we are from. Its heartening to hear the majority in that video now singing it.

Frankly, anyone who actually prefers to sing the bland, largely meaningless "going up to win the cup" to that original line, is an utter dimwit.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Yeah, cos (just guessing, now) its you, you cheeky monkey :lolol:

How dare you! It's not actually, it's a bone fide Palace twonk, with an Albion director for his Avatar. I suppose if your other choices are Jo Brand or Eddie Izzard.........:lolol:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
By george, I think we've got it.

It sounded bloody excellent.

[tweet]896408925301596160[/tweet]

People are even singing 'you may tell them all that we stand or fall' :ohmy:

Absolutely fantastic. :ascarf::ascarf::ascarf::ascarf::ascarf:

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I still think this must be a wind up, surely you can see the irony, if you sing win the cup then you are singing the adapted version, not the original.

Before we entered the new stadium, when was the last time you heard the original.

It was adapted to suit the football we were watching.

EVERYONE in those days and years after sung the adapted song.

Now all of a sudden, the new era has arrived and another piece of the Albion identity that has sat with fans for over 50 years has been wiped away.

I fully understand the meaning of the actual original, but the original words have no bearing on a football match, going up and winning the cup do.

We wont stand or fall because we are watching football not being involved in war where we could stand or fall.

The original was for war, the adapted version was for our football team.

Why on earth did it ever need to be changed.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"You can tell them all that we STAND OR FALL for Sussex by the sea" - wonderfully emotive, and the best line of the entire anthem. It is pure poetic defiance, and perfectly broadcasts the sense of PRIDE about where we are from. Its heartening to hear the majority in that video now singing it.

Frankly, anyone who actually prefers to sing the bland, largely meaningless "going up to win the cup" to that original line, is an utter dimwit.
Indeed. I guess singing "Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup" does have a place, a bit like singing "Happy birthday to you, squashed tomatoes and stew", but the real words have much more power. (And I speak as someone who has previously sung "Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup" since the 1960s)

Still, at least no one is moaning about singing the word 'gay' - although I'm sure someone somewhere thinks it's either effeminate and marks them down as a poof, or else they think it's a micro-aggression against the LBGTQ community. .

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Before we entered the new stadium, when was the last time you heard the original.

Now all of a sudden, the new era has arrived and another piece of the Albion identity that has sat with fans for over 50 years has been wiped away.

I fully understand the meaning of the actual original, but the original words have no bearing on a football match, going up and winning the cup do.

We wont stand or fall because we are watching football not being involved in war where we could stand or fall.

You're wrong, it's the county anthem for Sussex and WE WUNT BE DRUV is used by the Cliffe Bonfire Society.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'd always sung 'going up to win the cup' (yes, yes I know it should be 'and we'll) but much prefer 'stand or fall'. I don't think we have to be going to war for it to be relevant. Nor is it as glib as saying our players are willing to die for a football match. It's just about pride in being from the county of Sussex, and Albion representing that County. Every time I hear the proper words belted out, the idea of the soldiers singing it comes to mind - and remembering that has to be a good thing. 'Stand or Fall' for me.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
The beauty of the UK you can have an agreement or disagreement, I guess that is what we will have to do agree to disagree.

However, I WILL stand or fall when we play Palarse.

Yoda

English & European

You've partially answered your own question there. It was adapted to what we we're watching at the time. Now it's been adapted back to the original to say we won't let this club ever face dying again. We will STAND OR FALL for it.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
You've partially answered your own question there. It was adapted to what we we're watching at the time. Now it's been adapted back to the original to say we won't let this club ever face dying again. We will STAND OR FALL for it.

Yes, I see where you're going with that.

Not sure that was the reason that it was changed, if it was why wasn't it used in the 1st season?

I seem to remember belting out win the cup V Doncaster. I might be wrong, not sure I am though.

Yoda

English & European
Yes, I see where you're going with that.

Not sure that was the reason that it was changed, if it was why wasn't it used in the 1st season?

I seem to remember belting out win the cup V Doncaster. I might be wrong, not sure I am though.

I think it's evolved over the seasons. I remember belting out the original words for the Doncaster game (well, tried to but the emotion of was getting to me a bit).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here