Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst band that wew successful?

The_NitramJohn

Feb 18, 2012
The Smiths

TBF thus is not really a dig at the band itself, more their rabid fans who come across as being mortally insulted & wounded, if you even dare to have 'Shock Horror' as different view of the band to them.

Though, as a Metalhead, I personally can't think of a more bland Rock Band than 'Nickleback'

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Of the MEGA bands I've just never quite got The Who. It just doesn't grab me at all. I don't think they are RUBBISH....I just don't think they are all that.

Bastille are the current epitome of "Meh"

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Of the MEGA bands I've just never quite got The Who. It just doesn't grab me at all. I don't think they are RUBBISH....I just don't think they are all that.

Bastille are the current epitome of "Meh"

As a big Who fan I'd agree with you to an extent. When they were good they were very good, but a large percentage of their output was pretty poor at times and they released a fair few albums that were absolute stinkers.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Oh Muse is a great shout - 'Supermassive Black hole' is OK, but 10 x better than anything else I have heard from them - the rest is over theatrical rubbish.

The Killers are another example of an 'OK' Band, but are made out to be amazing! Everything is hyped up to the gills these days. Then next week Kings of Leon do a big gig and they are 'the best band in the world!!'

Completely pointless discussing music tho, as ever..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Scooter. prodigious tourers and sold many albums, mainly consisting of formulaic dross.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
The Smiths

TBF thus is not really a dig at the band itself, more their rabid fans who come across as being mortally insulted & wounded, if you even dare to have 'Shock Horror' as different view of the band to them.

Though, as a Metalhead, I personally can't think of a more bland Rock Band than 'Nickleback'

I love The Smiths, but can fully appreciate why people wouldn't like them. I cannot understand why anyone would like Nickleback; I once met a person who listed them as one of their 'top 3' bands. I asked them to name 5 songs and they listed Rockstar and 'This is how you remind me' and then gave me a blank, vacant look when it dawned on them they couldn't recall any other songs. We did not discuss music again.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I would say Elbow, but I've only heard one or two of their songs.

Their first album is stunning, and 'Leaders Of The Free World' has some beautiful moments. They are overplayed by the mainstream media though.

My vote goes to Razorlight.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Completely pointless discussing music tho, as ever..

Thread closed. Almost every successful band has churned out a LOT of garbage alongside the stuff that made them household names, but 'mega fans' of these bands just won't entertain that reality and will rabidly defend them.

Anyway, did someone say Bush or Texas?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Who slagged off Echo and the Bunnymen? And where do they drink?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's an interesting observation as I am a fan of heavy metal I wounder if others who don't get the Smiths are also metal heads

It was just based on personal experience. I found those who loved heavy metal metal and/or Led/DeepPurple/BlackSabbath, normally hated with a passion:

Joy Division / New Order
The Smiths
Punk / new wave genre

Like the Mods / Rockers musical dichotomy, without the violence.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Try 'Conquistador' and 'A Salty Dog', bloody good.

I have no problem with Procul Harum in general.......

..... but it's even a pretentious name, in all honesty - "Beyond these things" in Latin!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here