Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hesitancy at Roundabouts

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This one in Canterbury is a corker - it has an effing cycle lane all round it. FFS.

Cunterbury roundabout.JPG

ilduc944

May 1, 2014
I cringe when my wife is driving and comes up to a roundabout, hesitating when she doesn't need to. I tend to read the situation beyond what cars are actually at the roundabout, and enter it smoothly and without un-necessary stopping, but she lurches about. I can't say anything of course...

Does that 'can't say anything' rule apply when you're driving??

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Those two I have no issue with, however, crossing the bridge to turn right into BnQ the road markings imply a sharp right when in reality it's a massive roundabout.

You would get fed up with them if you drove round them most days.
Driving from Seaford towards the B&Q roundabout, the right lane on the approach to the roundabout ( opposite Sainsburys) is for going straight over the roundabout to the bridge, or for coming back on yourself for Sainsburys.
Many idiots use the left lane and cut into the right lane on the roundabout.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So the real issues are people who don't signal, people that signal but incorrectly and people that signal but get the timing wrong. Boils down to a) lack of knowledge and b) couldn't give a shit about other drivers so long as I'm ok.

As for flat lining a roundabout, nothing wrong with this except that most of the people that do it don't check their mirror and cut others up.

Another annoying tendency are those that approach a roundabout in the left lane but then don't steer enough to the left just before the roundabout and end up straddling both entry lanes preventing anyone turning right getting past them!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fair comments, but when I was going to work today I had another look at the Newhaven / Denton roundabout, it's got trees in the middle so drivers approaching the roundabout can't see what's coming the other way.

We've had people coming up the left hand lane past Sainsbury's, which has a sign and road markings indicating left turn only (to Denton), and then trying to go straight on to Seaford, alongside of us. It's happened twice in the last month.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Increasingly these days I find myself approaching roundabouts to find nobody moving because everyone is trying to give way, waiting for the car to their right to go. Happens so often but I can't remember this happening in the past. (Unless I've got too old to remember)

It seems to be a regional thing I guess.
I find up in the London area you have to take a chance, when safe and go for it.
Nobody will give you an inch.
When coming down to Sussex (Hastings area for example), as the op has said, everybody is giving way, probably because the pace of life is slightly slower and more relaxed.
We have the Swakeleys roundabout up here, which is mad, and I'm sure that [MENTION=864]mdotw[/MENTION] will confirm this :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Always give priority to the traffic coming from the right, unless you have been directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights

http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/changes-and-answers/-highway-code-for-roundabouts

Some people are not so quick at working our which is right or left!?

Quite. Here is a mini in a supermarket where I live. The pic is taken from the point of view of a driver most likely turning right (to the exit) or going ahead (into the garage). These ****ers never stop or signal, so if you have just driven in and plan to go to the garage (signaling and turning right) as opposed to signaling left (into the supermarket) the clown exiting drives into you. That said, drivers seem so used to the idiocy that the person with the right of way always gives way (hence the lack of accidents). Extraordinary given that in Faversham it is common for the local chaverati to drive from one end of town to the other, never signalling once. :angry:

roundy.JPG

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It seems to be a regional thing I guess.
I find up in the London area you have to take a chance, when safe and go for it.
Nobody will give you an inch.
When coming down to Sussex (Hastings area for example), as the op has said, everybody is giving way, probably because the pace of life is slightly slower and more relaxed.
We have the Swakeleys roundabout up here, which is mad, and I'm sure that [MENTION=864]mdotw[/MENTION] will confirm this :thumbsup:

The Magic Roundabout in Swindon has to be the worst and most manic in the country.
1200px-Magic_Roundabout_Schild_db.jpg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We've had people coming up the left hand lane past Sainsbury's, which has a sign and road markings indicating left turn only (to Denton), and then trying to go straight on to Seaford, alongside of us. It's happened twice in the last month.

Yes I have seen this many times.
Last week I was coming from Denton to turn right at the roundabout towards Newhaven town, a car came up the left lane you mentioned, at high speed, I knew he was going to fast to turn left so I hesitated at the roundabout, the driver went straight over towards Seaford.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Increasingly these days I find myself approaching roundabouts to find nobody moving because everyone is trying to give way, waiting for the car to their right to go. Happens so often but I can't remember this happening in the past. (Unless I've got too old to remember)

you haven t just been on folders lane in burgess hill a few hours ago.it was like a Mexican standoff

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As mentioned later on in this thread, that's the magic roundabout in Swindon. I was warned about it by a friend whose parents live a couple of hundred yards away from it. First encountered it at 1 am and, as they are not raised, I just drove straight across the middle.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
So I am not sure if this has a recognised name, but I have taken to calling it double roundabouting.

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Trying to exit Shoreham Beach in the morning there is always a long queue of traffic from Lancing. In the past the road markings were not that clear, so plenty of people would chance it in the outside lane, go straight on and wave as they pushed in, as if it were all an innocent mistake. A couple of years back they changed the road markings at the signage to make it really bloody clear that the right hand lane was Shoreham Beach only, so now people approach from Lancing in the right hand lane and complete one and a half laps of the roundabout, making it a pain to turn off the Beach.

Does anywhere else experience double roundabouting and does it half a better or more recognised name ?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Didn't BG get run over on a roundabout in Haywards Heath last year?
Surprised he hasn't brought this up if only to bump his posts up to the next magical figure :moo:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
So I am not sure if this has a recognised name, but I have taken to calling it double roundabouting.

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Trying to exit Shoreham Beach in the morning there is always a long queue of traffic from Lancing. In the past the road markings were not that clear, so plenty of people would chance it in the outside lane, go straight on and wave as they pushed in, as if it were all an innocent mistake. A couple of years back they changed the road markings at the signage to make it really bloody clear that the right hand lane was Shoreham Beach only, so now people approach from Lancing in the right hand lane and complete one and a half laps of the roundabout, making it a pain to turn off the Beach.
L
Does anywhere else experience double roundabouting and does it half a better or more recognised name ?

I know exactly what you mean. Happens at Lewes Southeram r/a too

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I hesitated at this one last year.
View attachment 86649
It's worth going to Swindon just for this. It's great way to spend 10-15 mins, just driving as many combinations as you can, clockwise, anti-clockwise, or straight through the middle - the choice is yours. Genius.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here