Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Airbnb

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Things to be wary of:

Dodgy sublets or social housing.

Is the location really where it states to be? ie, claiming a property is in West Falmer when its in Moulsecoomb. There can be plenty of creative descriptions on Airbnb re access to locations, stations etc. Good idea to always take a stroll around the area with Google Streetview to get a feel of the neighbourhood.

Cancellation clauses can be quite inflexible.

Like eBay, there are scammers on there. You must be savvy. If somewhere looks too good to be true at the price, chances are it is!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I use AirBnB all the time for business, 2 bed flat in Covent Garden £140 per night, absolute bargain. Used it at Excel, Manchester, Liverpool, Bradford, all around the country, superb!

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I always use Airbnb, never had any problems. As the other posters say, just read reviews carefully and if you have any questions prior to booking then message the host.

My personal experience matches this. It's great value and a much, much better way of interacting with local cultures and native residents compared to bog-standard hotels. And miles better quality compared to a hostel. Go for it!

Most places have pretty good refund policies as well, if you have to cancel or make other arrangements at short notice.

I'm using it twice next month: once in Paris (three-night stay near Parc de Vincennes - £112; 3-night stay near Amsterdam - £136)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I use AirBnB all the time for business, 2 bed flat in Covent Garden £140 per night, absolute bargain. Used it at Excel, Manchester, Liverpool, Bradford, all around the country, superb!

Seems weird to use that Covent Garden flat for your trips to Manchester, Liverpool, Bradford etc.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
In one as I type this in Lisbon. 200 quid for three nights, bang in the centre. Great little place, host has brilliant local knowledge. Couldn't ask for more. One tip is to check how long they have been hosting for, and have reviews for, experienced hosts oreferable

What area ? Bairro Alto, Chiado ?
Visiting there for 3 nights as well in August
Am very interested, would you mind posting a link ?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I am thinking of Air B&Bing my flat or just the spare room. I live close to Preston park so reckon I could get good money for Pride weekend :)

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I have used it for a couple of years now. Rome, Venice, Florence and Salzburg so far. Have a villa booked in July for Thailand as well. As others have said you must read through the reviews and ideally message the owner some questions and see what response you get.

It does make you feel like a local and the knowledge and help I have had from owners is priceless.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Just moved down the coast to another airbnb in Cascais and it's a great little place, would happily live here.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
I am thinking of Air B&Bing my flat or just the spare room. I live close to Preston park so reckon I could get good money for Pride weekend :)

Think the whole of Brighton area can expect good money for Pride weekend........£130 for one bed flat in Saltdean so if you got 2 beds would imagine £175 and upwards!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Think the whole of Brighton area can expect good money for Pride weekend........£130 for one bed flat in Saltdean so if you got 2 beds would imagine £175 and upwards!

Really? Ooh, nice. Less than 5 min walk to PP and it is a two bed place too.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
http://abnb.me/EVmg/Jr5H239kcD

Good connections via bus and metro to everything, a few minutes walk in to bairro alto. Even if you don't end up in this area head to a restaurant called quermesse, its fantastic and great value

Thanks, although it looks like Paulo's apartment is booked out for the week we intended to go.
Appreciate the restaurant tip.
Will be definitely be checking out Cascais too, probably make it a day-trip.

TopCat

Jun 17, 2011
Useful tip I was given is to do a Google image search on the photos they post. Did this for an apartment we were looking at in Amsterdam to discover all the photos had been lifted from a Russian interior design magazine!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I've just booked my first place on airbnb in the isle of wight over half term. No idea what to expect but so far the process has been excellent. As long is it is as it says when we get there I'll be pretty happy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here