Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Palace thing

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
Stoke City fan here in peace.

Firstly a massive congrats on your promotion. Gutted you didn't get the Title, the intolerable success starved Geordies will dine out on that for years!!!

I live down here so follow the Seagulls as a second team and attend the odd game. Always a good day out. Just been discussing it on our forum and got asked the question " so why the hatred of Palace " I am pasting the answer I gave below and just wondered if I have nailed it correctly, as the memory is not as good as it used to be! :----

Living near Brighton a lot of my mates are season ticket holders. I have been to the odd game with them. No different to us, they love their club, a bit deluded some of them ( aren't we as well thinking we can break into the top 4 each season? ) but generally good honest passionate fans.

They absolutely hate with a vengeance Crystal Palace and it gets very feisty when they play each other both on the pitch and off! Other than that totally safe place to visit and a great away day.

-------------------------------------------

What's the issue with Crystal Palace? We all have a shared history we were promoted together in my first season as a ST holder.

-------------------------------------------

They call it the A23 Derby now but whilst Palace are in London and have many clubs close by they do see Brighton as their main rivals.

It all stems from the promotion season in 1979/80, if that's the one your referring to. Terry Vegetables was Manager of Palace and Alan Mullery was manager of Brighton that season. In the game between them at Selhurst some comment was made by Venables to Mullery after a bad tackle or something and Mullery spat on him apparently and it all kicked off. Bearing in mind both teams were pushing for promotion the bad blood has been in place ever since and trust me, it is not pretty and both sets of fans have to be on their toes when they play each other.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I don't remember any spitting. Mullery threw some loose change on the ground and said "you're not worth that Palace" or words to that effect.

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
Ahhhh ok cheers mate! Chinese whispers and all that over the years, the story gets distorted I guess as I definitely heard something about spitting, or maybe that was just a conversation I was having with the wife last night and absolutely nothing to do with this!!!! :albion2:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ahhhh ok cheers mate! Chinese whispers and all that over the years, the story gets distorted I guess as I definitely heard something about spitting, or maybe that was just a conversation I was having with the wife last night and absolutely nothing to do with this!!!! :albion2:

Apropos nothing in particular, you don't happen to work for a major utility company in the Brighton area, do you?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
0ff116df5edd823e1cc6fc861ef6cd2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
To my mind it started in the 74- 75 season, Palace had come down to the 3rd Division, and played us in August. Their support was acting Billy big bollox, at the Goldstone, and at Hove station, and our chaps took offence. The return game was another feisty affair, and it grew from there.Along the way, there has been players getting career ending injuries, and being ridiculed, accusations of unsanitary toilet habits, bent referees( called Challis),and a lot of overtime for the Met, and Sussex constabulary

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
To my mind it started in the 74- 75 season, Palace had come down to the 3rd Division, and played us in August. Their support was acting Billy big bollox, at the Goldstone, and at Hove station, and our chaps took offence. The return game was another feisty affair, and it grew from there.Along the way, there has been players getting career ending injuries, and being ridiculed, accusations of unsanitary toilet habits, bent referees( called Challis),and a lot of overtime for the Met, and Sussex constabulary

So it is a lot older than 79/80 then? Didn't know that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So it is a lot older than 79/80 then? Didn't know that.

I suspect that the genuine hatred between Malcolm Allison and Alan Mullery also helped add fuel to the fire. This is them in 1970, holding nothing back when slagging off each other. Well worth watching if you've never seen it before. Now imagine those two sharing a touchline as opposing managers a few years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrLOJtD6Zd4

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
he 'mullered' him..... Alison was always just talk.

Never seen that "31 caps that's 31 more than you " brilliant stuff

I love this line from Brian Moore early on: "Another point made by Malcolm Allison in his attack on Alan Mullery was that he too rarely scores goals. Well, the one he scored against West Germany in the World Cup and the one he got against Crystal Palace last week certainly belie that fact."

Sit down, shut up Allison.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It all stems from the promotion season in 1979/80, if that's the one your referring to. Terry Vegetables was Manager of Palace and Alan Mullery was manager of Brighton that season. In the game between them at Selhurst some comment was made by Venables to Mullery after a bad tackle or something and Mullery spat on him apparently and it all kicked off. Bearing in mind both teams were pushing for promotion the bad blood has been in place ever since and trust me, it is not pretty and both sets of fans have to be on their toes when they play each other.

Albion were promoted in 1978-79.

There was crowd trouble at a pre-season friendly between the clubs at the Goldstone Ground in August 1973. The famous image of Mullery flicking the V's at Palace fans occurred at the FA Cup 1st round replay at Stamford Bridge in December 1976 - Mullery in V-sign storm

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
76-77

both in old div3

both getting big gates

both going for promotion

just so happens we draw them in the FA Cup aswell

which went to 2 replays

the last being at Stamford Bridge

we had the Shed

that's all you need to know

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The Mullery Venables rivalry stemmed back to their playing days with Venables always second best and following in Mullery's footsteps. A huge chip on Venables shoulder for past events. Mullers done nothing to smooth over this and the result of them managing the up and coming teams certainly added spice.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
One thing that people forget is that Palace have always been the nearest league team to us in terms of distance ! Ok Crawley are in the way now, but they don't count. I always remember the stats the selhurst is 44 miles away and Fratton park 47 miles away

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I suspect that the genuine hatred between Malcolm Allison and Alan Mullery also helped add fuel to the fire. This is them in 1970, holding nothing back when slagging off each other. Well worth watching if you've never seen it before. Now imagine those two sharing a touchline as opposing managers a few years later.

Are you confusing Malcolm Allison with Terry Venables?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here