Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex or Goldstone?

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Loved the Goldstone. If it was a choice between bouncing on the North Stand in an 18,000 gate for an evening game, or the wonderful Amex full to the rafters - I'm choosing the Goldstone. But thats a one-off (or a few times perhaps) - for building our future and becoming a force in the game, its the Amex all the way. And we couldn't have kept that terrace in any case.

Very intelligent response! ����

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Different stadiums for different times. If I were young now I'd want the Goldstone. Being an older type the Amex suits me perfectly.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Lots of great memories however I would rather remember the good times and not the bad times as its part of the club history and I enjoy going to the Amex. Thank you Sir Dick and TB finishing the job of saving the club and the fans that campaigned and some who went a little bit further to save the club.
Now let's move forward and enjoy the roller coaster ride this season and get behind CH and his team, and we may make TB plan a year late. :whistle: includes cup games.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The Goldstone was geographically a million times better with a fair few pubs close by and much better transport links, but you only had to go for a piss in it to realise how bad the stadium was.

The Amex is obviously a much better stadium but its major let down is the transport situation.

If only we could plump the Amex on top of the old site.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I do feel that the North stand could have been built much bigger although I am happy with my seat in the WSU however I get knackered walking up to my seat. I travel to the games by coach and it's a great way to travel and get home quicker than the Goldstone. We need an escalator to the WSU please TB

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
More or less the correct answer,but not healthy regarding atmosphere at the amex,lots of middle age men drinking and eating and snoozing on padded seats.:yawn:

Sorry, let me get this right, you don't approve of middle aged men watching football, having a pint and a pie?

I do feel that the North stand could have been built much bigger although I am happy with my seat in the WSU however I get knackered walking up to my seat. I travel to the games by coach and it's a great way to travel and get home quicker than the Goldstone. We need an escalator to the WSU please TB

Can recall legging it on the final whistle at the goldstone getting the 5.00pm fast to hh and back in the pub 5.15pm:rolleyes:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Sorry for the repeat thread, didn't check. Just getting all nostalgic after my trip to Fulham. Reminded me of the old NS going mental although less crowded and didn't end up 20 yards down the terrace with one shoe missing, but still f****ing great fun!
Thinking about the old days with my rosie glasses on!

WE ARE BLUE, WE ARE WHITE, WE ARE F****ING DYNAMITE, LA LA LA, LA LA LA, LA LA.

my friend said the atmosphere was brilliant at Fulham

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
my friend said the atmosphere was brilliant at Fulham

T'was indeed an epic day. Helps when you literally own the crowd. 7000 Albion in unison Vs random 'clackers' was no match! We all stayed as well to cheer the boys into the tunnel. I also enjoyed the bloke behind me who kept screaming 'you f***ing northern b***ards" all through the game. We pointed out to him we were in Fulham to which he replied, 'yeah but north of the river'. Priceless.

:albion2:

Goldstone last 5 years division 2 average gates:

Amex last 5 years division 2 average gates (not including the 28,000 we're averaging this season):

I know gates overall are up in that time, but in 1990 when we got to Wembley, our average gates were 16th highest in the division - lower than Barnsley,Swindon, Oldham and Millwall.

When we were pushing for the top league in 77/78 we averaged over 25,000 in a time when football was not that fashionable,this season crowds of actual real people in the stadium are probably not much different. I'm sure an Albion team struggling in the 3rd or 4th tier would see crowds tumble.Compare like for like and yes the stadium attracts but not too different from the equivalant Goldstone days???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When we were pushing for the top league in 77/78 we averaged over 25,000 in a time when football was not that fashionable,this season crowds of actual real people in the stadium are probably not much different. I'm sure an Albion team struggling in the 3rd or 4th tier would see crowds tumble.Compare like for like and yes the stadium attracts but not too different from the equivalant Goldstone days???
Doesn't 1991 count as "pushing for the top league"? We averaged under 9,000.

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
Loved the Goldstone, the day's of the old slam shut train doors, the walk up to the ground from Hove station, all the people walking through the streets, seeing the programme sellers, rosette stalls etc, going through the old turnstiles getting to your favourite spot in the North, the singing and jumping about great times. But times move on and in the end the ground was very tired and nearly past it's sell buy date, very proud of what we have now its a fantastic set up for fans both home and away, also the players must be chuffed to be a part of it too. Lets face it you are not going to please everybody all of the time, but BHA seem to give it 100% everytime to suit all types for a great match day experience.
So for me I am loving it, still in the NS singing and bouncing up and down, throwing streamers, balloons, beach balls etc .:albion2::albion2:

Doesn't 1991 count as "pushing for the top league"? We averaged under 9,000.

So you would compare our position now with 1991 or late 70's?

1991 Crept into playoff position in Jan,manager Barry Lloyd,Greg Stanley prowling the corridors and three out of the previous four season struggling also fans discontentment with the board! A decent team but not the greatest And the Goldstone ground that was crumbling around us.

or

1977/78 A team that had been performing the three years previous,manager mullery,chairman Mike Bamber Old style goldstone but pretty much intact! And a team that was entertaining and exciting to watch.

Which would you compare to this season?

Jan 30, 2008
I remember the Argus showing a double deck stands behind each goal,there must have been other plans to improve the Goldstone.
i think there were, problem was you couldn't go any higher on the east terrace , anyway SIT DOWN SHUT UP THESE DAYS, I KNOW PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN INVITED TO LEAVE by the stewards FOR HAVING A BIT OF BANTER WITH THE Away support in the South stand , IT'S ALL GONE DOWN THE PAN:angry::angry::angry:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here