Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Woohoo Thank you TSB

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Is it just coincidence that today's Argus has a story about a man who's just found out he's in 500k debt with no understanding how?

I think it's best if we all keep our lips sealed.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Is it just coincidence that today's Argus has a story about a man who's just found out he's in 500k debt with no understanding how?

I think it's best if we all keep our lips sealed.

He's got Andy Naylor's Fan Club's mortgage! :)

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Makes you wonder what their testing capability was and what their Go / No Go criteria was to proceed then continue with the migration? Once they've sorted the problems there will be one hell of a customer remediation exercise...something akin to a mini PPI just for TSB.

I wonder how much they will compensate me for missing out on buying a used car because I couldn't use my TSB a/c? What about my inability to send an emergency funds transfer to my broke child who's stuck in some remote town on the other side of the planet?

Prove customer detriment and TSB will have to compensate.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Loads of anecdotal evidence of people worried about losing deals today on houses etc. Surely if you've got something that time critical you would go to the nearest branch!!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
carlos-abarca-thumb.jpg

This is the man who should be sacked, Carlos Abarca the CIO.

If he calls himself the Chief Information Ofiicer, then he should recognise the inherent risk involved in taking a 'big bang' approach to converting 1.3 billion customer records. Can you imagine the reaction from the team responsible for it when this master plan was revealed :facepalm:

This decision was definitely made at a level where there is no concept of what actually happens. Another example of a politician with no idea of what he is responsible for trying to make a 'strategic' decision.

I wouldn't trust him to hit Alt+Ctrl+Del on his own.

.................and relax :smile:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Depends who is doing them , a project manager whose bonus depends on achieving a date or a technician who knows what is required....

The volume of data and number of systems involved there will be many many more than 1 of each.

I was working for Halifax when it was taken over by Lloyds. It took years and hundreds/thousands of staff to convert the Halifax accounts onto the Lloyds' systems. This was despite the fact that all the Halifax IT systems were far superior to Lloyds'.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The volume of data and number of systems involved there will be many many more than 1 of each.

I was working for Halifax when it was taken over by Lloyds. It took years and hundreds/thousands of staff to convert the Halifax accounts onto the Lloyds' systems. This was despite the fact that all the Halifax IT systems were far superior to Lloyds'.

I've been responsible for a few mergers and acquisitions over the years and the company IT that don't get to keep their systems always think theirs are the superior ones (probably because over the years, the processes surrounding those systems have been finely tuned and changing systems means a re-think of all those supporting processes)

Although I had left Lloyds a significant number of years previously by the time they got Halifax, so not guilty :wink:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I've been responsible for a few mergers and acquisitions over the years and the company IT that don't get to keep their systems always think theirs are the superior ones

Very true, but in this case the Lloyds IT staff that came to assess the Halifax systems all thought they were going to be made redundant when they saw ours and were convinced the migration was going to go the other way. Only the Halifax mortgage system was kept in the end.
Once we started working on the Lloyds stuff we understood their misgivings, a case of the Lloyds higher echelons keeping their own jobs.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Very true, but in this case the Lloyds IT staff that came to assess the Halifax systems all thought they were going to be made redundant when they saw ours and were convinced the migration was going to go the other way. Only the Halifax mortgage system was kept in the end.
Once we started working on the Lloyds stuff we understood their misgivings, a case of the Lloyds higher echelons keeping their own jobs.

I think you're right in that a significant majority of those decisions are made for political rather than technical reasons. Hence our discussion on this thread.

Still, look on the bright side, there will be a Senior IT person (or persons) available imminently to go and start work on this new technical solution to the Ireland/Northern Ireland border issue :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here