Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Stephen Lawrence Day

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A weird, miguided political gesture, in my view.

Windrush appeasement, nothing more and nothing less, cynical government point scoring.

I do not agree with the calling it Stephen Lawrence Day any more than I would agree if they deiced to name 22nd May Lee Rigby Day. In my opinion all your doing is giving publicity to the perpetrators of these evil acts.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The counter argument to all that wishful thinking is the dodgy idea of institutional racism, which nobled the police and led to Rotherham.

What led to Rotherham was Police failure to take Social Services reports seriously. What the Police need to do is not look at creed or colour when investigating a crime. They and the population as a whole should never even '' see colour'' WHATSOEVER. We should only ever be looking at people as individuals and chains of events. That's what society needs to see past.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
What led to Rotherham was Police failure to take Social Services reports seriously. What the Police need to do is not look at creed or colour when investigating a crime. They and the population as a whole should never even '' see colour'' WHATSOEVER. We should only ever be looking at people as individuals and chains of events. That's what society needs to see past.

But The Lawrence Case and identity politics taught the Police to look at creed or colour. Institutional racism was ditched in The USA by the democrats as being self defeating(Before Blair decided to try it.). Not only the above example but how do you get blacks to join the police once youve worked hard at smearing it as being culturally/institutional racist?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
I normally avoid sad documentaries, but last week watched a brilliant BBC 3 part series about the entire events, long legal fight, with contributions from former home secretaries key to the campaign, plus a cross section of the Met directly involved. The UK was a worse place in 1993 for minorities, no matter what any doom-monger will tell you. Watching the series on iPlayer will throw light on the brutal racism around in decades past, and possible Police (some rotten apples) help for the perpetrators.

Very moving.

I ticked like because of the "some rotten apples" clause. I am mixed race and my Mum is considerably darker skinned than me being from Iraqi/Mauritian stock (I appear a white skinhead with freckles in appearance - arguably thanks to the milkman ??? ).

Anyway the point is my darker skinned Mum and her mother were randomly set upon by three skinhead thugs, which as described, sounds like a horrendous parody/pastiche of white yobbish behaviour in the 70's. They had a crowbar and whacked my Gran's ribs and legs for no reason other than they were on the same side of the road as them and were 'pakis'.

Long story short, a passing police officer (whose name I shall withhold but became a family friend) - on his beat - individually tackled and apprehended one of the suspects despite losing his truntion in the fight. Would've got his head kicked in for defending a 'paki' he didn't know from Abdul, if he weren't up to fighting them off.

So back then there were great coppers with a good sense of morality and horrible thugs with none.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I ticked like because of the "some rotten apples" clause. I am mixed race and my Mum is considerably darker skinned than me being from Iraqi/Mauritian stock (I appear a white skinhead with freckles in appearance - arguably thanks to the milkman ??? ).

Anyway the point is my darker skinned Mum and her mother were randomly set upon by three skinhead thugs, which as described, sounds like a horrendous parody/pastiche of white yobbish behaviour in the 70's. They had a crowbar and whacked my Gran's ribs and legs for no reason other than they were on the same side of the road as them and were 'pakis'.

Long story short, a passing police officer (whose name I shall withhold but became a family friend) - on his beat - individually tackled and apprehended one of the suspects despite losing his truntion in the fight. Would've got his head kicked in for defending a 'paki' he didn't know from Abdul, if he weren't up to fighting them off.

So back then there were great coppers with a good sense of morality and horrible thugs with none.

Not to steal your thunder in any way, or make light of the horrible attack.

Skinheads in the 70s and early 80s were horrible cvnts back then, I got beat up with an iron bar / railing about the head leaving me a small scar on my now bald bonce, I think that was mainly because I had moved up north from the south and I was a soft southern ponce. People hate people and sometimes do not need much of an excuse especially if they are slightly backward themselves.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think many people on here and around the UK have more tolerant views on racial issues due to this case. Not just because of the police handling of the case but they saw first hand the complete and utter disregard of a human black life by the perpetrators. People saw them live on the 6pm news and it turned many people's stomachs and that held a mirror up to society and made people ask themselves ''is this the type of people that UK society is harnessing'' ?

That in itself forced us to look inward and many people changed their own actions and probably brought their children up differently because of it. So Stephen Lawrence's death Did indeed change many people in this Nation. So perhaps it is not so much Stephen's personal day but the recognition that we for the most part changed. That to me is worth recognition because it will help future Generations to remember not to fall back into the ways of our past. We still have a long way to go but recognition annually will help us along that route.
No, I can't let that go without a response. I think many people on here and around the UK had more tolerant views on racial issues before the Lawrence case than some people like to give them credit for. The generation that marched against apartheid (and were treated to police baton charges for our troubles) might be quite offended to be told that they needed the Lawrence case to buck up their ideas up.
Seeing despicable people live on the 6pm news that turned many people's stomachs and held a mirror up to society and made people ask themselves ''is this the type of people that UK society is harnessing'' isn't confined to the scumbags who murdered Stephen Lawrence. Stomachs were turned by the 7/7 bombers, Fred West, the scumbags who killed Lee Rigby, Kevin Huntley, Roy Whiting - regardless of their race or creed. We didn't want them to be the sort of people the UK was nurturing either, thank you very much.
I deplore the circumstances of Stephen Lawrence's death, as do a vast majority of decent people, but a 'Stephen Lawrence Day'? Not for me, sorry. I won't be celebrating it - it's hardly a cause for celebration, is it? - wrong word to use - I won't be marking it on my calendar.
I shall, however, rejoice if the law catches up with the scum who have evaded justice so far, and those equally despicable scumbags who have helped them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here