Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oh dear....Dale Stephens

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The only problem is that it gives the impression that the club is thinking it doesnt matter its only supporters and they dont really matter, tell them anything and they will accept it..

Come on! No club keeps its supporers fully informed about player injuries. You may find this extraordinarily hard to believe but there is a risk that if 20,000 NSCers were told about the exact injury status of our players, a small amount of this information may leak to rival clubs who may then, unsportingly, use this knowledge to their advantage. This is only a theory, however.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can’t be arsed to read the whole thread. Is Dale injured or has he recovered from his “minor injury suffered in training about a month ago?

no.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some recovery time required for “minor” injury in training then. Might as well ignore CH’s comments on injured players.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some recovery time required for “minor” injury in training then. Might as well ignore CH’s comments on injured players.

Don’t think that’s entirely fair. Quite normal for a recovery to go into reverse, particularly if it’s a strain or similar. Slightly overdoing it in training etc. Easily done. Sometimes rehab takes a lot longer than initially thought, sometimes a lot less.......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The only problem is that it gives the impression that the club is thinking it doesnt matter its only supporters and they dont really matter, tell them anything and they will accept it..

I know, why don't they give us the formation we're playing, who's marking who, when we're planning on making subs and what our dead ball signals are while they're at it. We'll be the best informed fans of a losing team in the league.....

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I know, why don't they give us the formation we're playing, who's marking who, when we're planning on making subs and what our dead ball signals are while they're at it. We'll be the best informed fans of a losing team in the league.....

Not sure how us not knowing if Stephens is playing or not can possibly influence how another team plays against us, it isn’t close to being as important as knowing what you list above in your rather sarcy response to BG. We are weaker without Stephens and pretending he might play makes absolutely no difference to how teams set up when he doesn’t, it just makes control of the midfield easier for them....imo

I have no expectation of the club being anywhere near honest about injuries these days.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I have no expectation of the club being anywhere near honest about injuries these days.

Can you share a specific example this season where Hughton hasn’t been. He’s probably provided about 50 updates on various players this season at multiple press conferences.

What of those 50+ have been “anywhere near honest” in your opinion Icy ?

He says Bong is fit for Saturday - do you believe him ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sort of. Back in training and will be a ‘late decision’ for Saturday. That almost always means he won’t play.......

Actually there are multiple examples this season and previous seasons where players have played after statements like this at press conferences.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can you share a specific example this season where Hughton hasn’t been. He’s probably provided about 50 updates on various players this season at multiple press conferences.

What of those 50+ have been “anywhere near honest” in your opinion Icy ?

He says Bong is fit for Saturday - do you believe him ?

Is this not a disengenuos comment about Stephens then? When has a minor knock in training been how you describe a hamstring injury?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/160...or_FA_Cup_quarter_final_at_Manchester_United/

Stephens was nowhere near “touch and go” to play in the United game, is that a good enough example of not being honest. Obviously the club do and say as they feel fit but I take everything they say about injuries with a pinch of salt now. So, no they are not being honest imo.

CH is now talking about not risking him for tomorrow, is he bluffing or is the injury much worse than we were originally told?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure how us not knowing if Stephens is playing or not can possibly influence how another team plays against us, it isn’t close to being as important as knowing what you list above in your rather sarcy response to BG. We are weaker without Stephens and pretending he might play makes absolutely no difference to how teams set up when he doesn’t, it just makes control of the midfield easier for them....imo

Is this not a disengenuos comment about Stephens then? When has a minor knock in training been how you describe a hamstring injury?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/160...or_FA_Cup_quarter_final_at_Manchester_United/

Stephens was nowhere near “touch and go” to play in the United game, is that a good enough example of not being honest. Obviously the club do and say as they feel fit but I take everything they say about injuries with a pinch of salt now. So, no they are not being honest imo.

CH is now talking about not risking him for tomorrow, is he bluffing or is the injury much worse than we were originally told?

Why are you being so entitled? Firstly your ST, even if it's the best 1901 seat in the house, doesn't mean the club have an obligation to inform you about every twist and turn involving an injured player. But, if it did, what about people who casually follow us but go maybe once or twice a season? Should the 1901ers get private medical reports emailed to them? Should those with a set amount of loyalty points be invited for a look round the Lancing medical facilities every couple of weeks?

Yes, whether Stephens is playing makes a difference. His job is obvious to anyone watching a couple of videos of us. Break up play, win back the ball, pass it to a blue and white shirt. Kayal is a slightly different player and opposition managers will have slightly different strategies for each. But then, if Kayal is also a doubt, and we say that out loud, the oppo are going to know it's either going to be a change in formation, or Gross drops back in to the 4, or we play an under 23.

As for the bolded bit, why not bluff, given the above? But maybe we don't. Injuries change all the time. From my experience long distance running I've found one injury can very easily lead to another. If you come back too early you can aggravate it. If it changes your running style then you can put pressure on another part of your body and damage that. Yes, our pro physios should manage that better than I do myself but it's incredibly easy for one thing to turn to another. I've had a hip problem quickly turn in to a groin tear and abdomen problem just by stretching for a football that was kicked off the pitch while I was watching my son.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I’m still not quite sure I understand the need for ME to know? I’m going to the game anyway. Are there any fans who are thinking “well, if Stephens doesn’t play, then i’m going shopping instead”. I’d much rather the club kept things flexible - that means less info for the opposition manager, and perhaps a very small advantage for us.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

So no specific examples from the 50 updates this season by Hughton that demonstrate he’s lying at press conferences. ?

Thought not.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
There’s a table of injuries for days out, we are top.

However you were most likely top when you gained promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015/16 was not too bad for us but we were nowhere near the top for "least" injuries in that promotion season.

For a start, both Ashley Barnes and Dean Marney missed most of the season after suffering cruciate injuries in the 2014/15 Premier campaign.

In 2015/16, Marney only played 12 games and Barnes 8. Barton was signed when Dyche realised Marney would miss at least the first half of the season. I think Barnes only returned to fitness in time for the run-in.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

The trouble is, there is nothing to say that the grade of tear wasn’t worse than first thought or alternatively, worsened or had a negative reaction during rehab.

He doesn’t get many right though...... [emoji2]
(Edit - or perhaps it feels like that when it is an important player, probably desperate supporters).

Just as well he’s a brilliant manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here