Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Aussie Cheats!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Team game, ban Australia from cricket for a while, cheating ********, let the innocent players compete in tests as an anonymous nation a la Russia in the Olympics

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
at the end of the day it is still only a game! Yes, its cheating but in the grand scheme of things the reaction from everyone (the pm of oz included) is way way way over the top.

I dont feel sorry for them but the reaction to trying to gain an unfair advantage in a sporting fixture is over the top - How is this so different to what Wilfiried Zaha does week in week out?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Smith crying at the Press Conference made me laugh and I thought serves you right, man up.

I know, from reading much of this long thread, that I am out of step with most of the other posters. However the sight of Smith so distraught with the realisation of what he had done brought a tear to my eye.

The Aussies are brought up to do anything to win, win at all costs. He has suddenly hit the brick wall of understanding that the rest of the world looks down on their behaviour. His life is in ruins, he is clearly filled with remorse and I for one believe it was not just with being found out. His father was behind him and the shame was there for all to see. He could even be suicidal such is enormity of his fall from grace.

And there's BG laughing laughing at his pain. You should be ashamed of yourself. I have no other words to describe you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know, from reading much of this long thread, that I am out of step with most of the other posters. However the sight of Smith so distraught with the realisation of what he had done brought a tear to my eye.

The Aussies are brought up to do anything to win, win at all costs. He has suddenly hit the brick wall of understanding that the rest of the world looks down on their behaviour. His life is in ruins, he is clearly filled with remorse and I for one believe it was not just with being found out. His father was behind him and the shame was there for all to see. He could even be suicidal such is enormity of his fall from grace.

And there's BG laughing laughing at his pain. You should be ashamed of yourself. I have no other words to describe you.

He looked properly broken, sad to see - the enormity of the situation has finally hit home.

Rather than possibly being suicidal, I suspect he is far more likely to be the top run scorer in the next Ashes though.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The culture of Australian sport over decades is to blame, these guys are a product of the system. The Aussie national team should be banned from competive sports a few years

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He looked properly broken, sad to see - the enormity of the situation has finally hit home.

Rather than possibly being suicidal, I suspect he is far more likely to be the top run scorer in the next Ashes though.
Yes it's never nice to see someone properly broken when they're not that bad a person. Smith has been extremely stupid and he deserves what he's got but it's not pleasant to see the hurt, same with Bancroft.

Lehmann and Warner though. Couldn't care less how much they cry. Not that Warner even has as he's waiting until he gets coached by his "trusted advisors". ****.

And yes, Smith will be back and will still be a bloody good batsman.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

:facepalm:
BG is correct.

A professional sportsman at the top of his game shouldn't have to cheat to win.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I agree, the bloke made a mistake and is going to have to live with that for the rest of his life. What he does next will be the measure of the man. It will be interesting to see what he does now. Each to their own but I cannot laugh at a man so broken and distraught. I guess those that do, have never ****ed up and fair play to them for it.

The bloke is going to get crucified now he is back home and I for one hope that he and his family are allowed to serve his punishment in peace. I found it appalling to hear that his wife had been abused on social media but such is the strength of feeling over here.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
at the end of the day it is still only a game! Yes, its cheating but in the grand scheme of things the reaction from everyone (the pm of oz included) is way way way over the top.
A country shocked and appalled by cheating in sport but fine with imprisonment of refugees and systematic poor treatment or aboriginals and the environment.

Priorities are skewed.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Former England and Sussex batsman James Taylor in the Evening Standard:
I was playing for England against Australia in a one-day international in Sydney and I had just been dismissed for a second-ball duck, lbw to Mitchell Starc. As I was walking off, head down, David Warner charged over and screamed abuse in my face.

I don’t need to repeat what he said, but that story from 2015 is enough to explain why a lot of cricketers around the world have little or no sympathy after hearing Warner had been suspended for 12 months. Many of them will feel this is a classic case of cricketing karma. As soon as you get personal on the field, you will find yourself with enemies.

Steve Smith and Warner, who have lost their roles as captain and vice-captain respectively, belittled opponents and mocked them. Now, they are feeling the wrath of the cricket world — and beyond — for the cheating scandal that has seen both banned from international cricket for a year. If you go around behaving as they did, then don’t expect people to back you up when things go south.

The length of the ban seems a little harsh, though when the Prime Minister of a country gets involved, as Malcolm Turnbull did in this case, the penalties were always likely to be heavy. I am amazed that Australia were so naive — and so arrogant — to think they would get away with it. It beggars belief: bringing sandpaper on to the field at Newlands to rough up the ball to gain reverse swing and believing nobody would spot it, despite the number of cameras around the ground.

After investigating, Cricket Australia found the fast bowlers were not part of the plan that was hatched by Warner and involved Smith and Cameron Bancroft, which is equally bizarre. When I played for England, it was inconceivable that anything would happen to the ball without Jimmy Anderson or Stuart Broad knowing about it.

They would be on top of the fielders all the time — don’t get sweat on the ball, don’t get sun cream on it, keep one side dry. Alastair Cook is unusual in that he barely sweats, so the ball was always thrown to him in the field when we were trying to get reverse. But bringing something on to the field to achieve it? Never.

On top of that, Australia have a world-class attack. Why not just work hard on the ball within the laws and let Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins do the rest?

I played cricket all my life and I have heard what certain teams do to try to get the ball moving through the air. I saw enough of it in county cricket. After a ball has gone for six, the fielder retrieving it has been known to scrape one side of it along the concrete walkway separating the spectators’ seats from the boundary edge. I have also heard of players using fingernails to scuff up the ball.

When you are batting, you can get a sense of what is going on and some county and international sides are very effective at it.

I am not condoning any of this, but I believe it is very different from bringing a foreign object — like sandpaper — on to the field to change the condition of the ball.

The Australians have paid a big price for what they did. Whatever they do in cricket, these players will be remembered for this.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So when are you leaving? I'll book the taxi.
I thought you were a keen supporter of free speech. Yet you want me to leave the country for expressing an opinion.

Sounds more Kim Yong Un than Libertarian to me

Weird.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I thought you were a keen supporter of free speech. Yet you want me to leave the country for expressing an opinion.

Sounds more Kim Yong Un than Libertarian to me

Weird.

I am, so I'm not curtailing your free speech. I can call you out on what you say though. That's how free speech works.

You seem to always to be unhappy and negative towards the place.

Makes one wonder why you'd want to live here.

Maybe Canada would suit you better.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am, but you seem to always to be unhappy and negative towards the place.

Makes one wonder why you'd want to live here.

Really? Couldn't be further from the truth, I love living here. However that doesn't preclude me from seeing some negatives and expressing my opinion about them. If it makes you feel any better my comment was not just about Australia, I believe many countries put sport above more pertinent social issues.

To be fair to me, I think I post more positive stuff than negative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here