Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Station Pre Match Last Night

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Its just not worth getting a train to an evening match anymore as it is such a shambles.

Got a taxi yesterday from town, dropped off at Stanmer Park entrance and walked over from there. Took about 15 mins in total and cost about £10 between the three of us. Shame to have to pay when the trains are free but it beats walking to the station, queuing for ages, being squeezed on to a train, and then missing your pre-match pint and the start of the match.

I think there has to be far more alternatives available for transport than there are currently, as the current options appear to be failing large numbers of 'customers'. Why not a major taxi rank at the stadium (or somewhere pretty damn close that doesn't fall in the clutches of Lewes District Council). Why not an additional Park and Ride at Withdean? Why not a Dolmus system (shared taxi/minibus, seats about 12)? Why not ask Southern Water if the club could rent out the humungous car park on their near derelict site across the road from the stadium? There are so many ways the transport system could be improved. As things stand, more and more people are being put off going to evening games, which will start to affect the club's bottom line, sooner rather than later.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I tweeted Southern Rail & Brighton Station (who after the replies I received, it is clear this is not an "official" account) about this last night, Southern said that all trains were 6 or 8 cars last night. Now either I cant count, or Southern dont know what their on about in the slightest (to be fair, either one is a possibility).

Biggest game of the season and they dont think they need long trains as per normal? I appreciate it was fairly short notice, but surely there is a contingency for instances such as last night.

Piss poor planning and execution.

They were (generally) 6 or 8 car AFTER the game but certainly not before. If they were saying before - then they are talking out of their arse again. Of course longer trains were needed, Southern know that, but where can they get trains from when they are already in use on commuter services which take priority on weekdays ?

Southern yesterday morning barely had enough staff to even run the matchday service last night yet somehow got it together so credit for that, but if there is no more coaches available (much like every other evening game we have had at the Amex), then what do you propose ?

Crowd control - police need to take more of a part in as Southern staff are badly trained at it. Some of the time (and I know I will probably get some stick for this), fans really dont help themselves by becoming impatient and selfish IE "crushing" onto trains by forcing and even pushing others onto trains to get onto it before other people, which is incredibly dangerous. The same people will also block up the doors and not move down, causing people to get left behind.....much like these peoples common sense when they walk out the door on the way to the Amex it seems.

An extra P&R has been mooted for ages and the club really do need to get their act together in sorting it out. A taxi rank is also needed for licenced taxis only, not just a pick up point which would just get clogged up. Of course the Greens would HATE that though. Possibly an additional shuttle bus service between Brighton Station - Old Steine and the Amex is needed as well it would certainly take pressure off the trains.

I tweeted Southern Rail & Brighton Station (who after the replies I received, it is clear this is not an "official" account) about this last night, Southern said that all trains were 6 or 8 cars last night. Now either I cant count, or Southern dont know what their on about in the slightest (to be fair, either one is a possibility).

Biggest game of the season and they dont think they need long trains as per normal? I appreciate it was fairly short notice, but surely there is a contingency for instances such as last night.

Piss poor planning and execution.

... but the contingency plan will ALWAYS include providing enough space on trains to get tens of thousands of commuters home from Victoria and London Bridge. Quite rightly.

Possibly an additional shuttle bus service between Brighton Station - Old Steine and the Amex is needed as well it would certainly take pressure off the trains.
But only if people use it. Because I work in Lewes Road, I've often used the 25 bus to get to evening games. Only once have I ever found a problem getting a seat on the bus and that was on a day when there had been earlier disruption to the bus network. It is normally the case that there is plenty of space on the existing bus services - and the bus lanes mean that they run in a timely fashion. It's a mystery to me why more people don't use them. Adding extra buses, as things stand, is unnecessary.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But only if people use it. Because I work in Lewes Road, I've often used the 25 bus to get to evening games. Only once have I ever found a problem getting a seat on the bus and that was on a day when there had been earlier disruption to the bus network. It is normally the case that there is plenty of space on the existing bus services - and the bus lanes mean that they run in a timely fashion. It's a mystery to me why more people don't use them. Adding extra buses, as things stand, is unnecessary.

Apart from the return journey.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I know for some its not possible, but I quite enjoy watching the warm-up routines so always aim to get in the ground 45 mins before k/o - then, if there are delays, still ought not to miss k/o.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Congratulations on having a work/leisure schedule that allows you to get to the ground an hour before kick off.

We were on the train last night because having to leave home in Hurstpierpoint at around six to catch the Seagulls Travel coach for a 7.45pm match at the Amex isn't always possible. We therefore got to Brighton Station at around seven and were caught up in the mayhem. Everything critical that's been said against the police (posing around as oberstormfuhrers right up the the moment when they actually had to do something) and station staff is true.

The train that left Brighton at around 7.35 was appallingly and dangerously overcrowded, right up into the centre of the carriages. Before that there had been an uncontrolled surge across the platforms as all police crowd control broke down - this went over an area of the station that included a large step and if one person had tripped on to the ground at this point then someone could have died. There was no proper communication between the crowd and the people supposed to be managing it. Not even an old fashion megaphone.

We eventually got to the Amex 20 minutes after kick off and made other arrangements for getting home.

This is the reality of the fan experience Mr Barber - you can sit in your cosy world all day long sending out your syrupy emails and picking up your £10,000 a week salary but nothing will alter the fact that for many supporters - including this one, with over 30 years' unbroken season ticket experience including the Gillingham and Withdean years - the whole Albion experience is starting to stutter. You can concentrate on the beloved corporates you feel will be flocking to the Albion when we get to the Premier League as much as you like but if you don't start loving the ordinary supporters more any sales victories you have will be hollow ones.

You could make a small start by employing a few more people who actually support the Albion.

Plenty of really good points here, just can not agree that staff at Brighton Station are anything to do with Paul Barber. Also what do you classify as dangerously overcrowded ?
Selfishly I would rather be on a packed train than waiting around on a platform, but then I was with my 14 year old last night, not with any little ones or elderly.

Apart from the return journey.
I'm not disagreeing with that, as far as evening games are concerned.

I have known Saturday games when a bus journey from Falmer towards Brighton has been much quicker than queuing for a train - but that's been at a time when, as well as the 25s, there have been the 28s and 29s available, coming into Brighton from Lewes.

thbjenkins

Mar 12, 2014
Lancing
... but the contingency plan will ALWAYS include providing enough space on trains to get tens of thousands of commuters home from Victoria and London Bridge. Quite rightly.

Which is a fair point. Commuters pay through the nose. But we're paying too (albeit not as much).
Southern are a business that provide a service, all business require planning to ensure they can meet the demand. Is 3 years not enough time to know whats required? If they need more coaches, then get them. God knows they take enough money from their customers as it is, they can damn well afford it.
The club have to do something, as it is them who are involved in the planning too (and if they're not than why not?!).

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Plenty of really good points here, just can not agree that staff at Brighton Station are anything to do with Paul Barber. Also what do you classify as dangerously overcrowded ?
Selfishly I would rather be on a packed train than waiting around on a platform, but then I was with my 14 year old last night, not with any little ones or elderly.

Thank you.

With respect, I think that the transport arrangements and how they're implemented are EVERYTHING to do with Paul Barber. Specific one-off failures aren't his fault but as people have pointed out transport failures are happening all the time. Last night's chaos at Brighton seems to be no more than an extreme example of a regular problem. Transport to games is part of the product he's selling for and am not sure that he gives much of a toss about this sort of thing. How much does he care? Has he, for example, already asked British Rail and the Police for an explanation of what happened and is he planning to put out an apology on the website? Let's see.

'Dangerous overcrowded'? People sitting on tables down carriages because there isn't enough floorspace. Children in tears. People fighting to get OFF the train before it leaves. That sort of thing.

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
There are no extra coaches on midweek evenings !! This topic comes up after EVERY evening midweek game. Coaches are near 100% being used for peak time commuter services, but alas some fans think these should be cancelled so football can come first - try telling that to those that pay thousands each year !! There arent much more at FT either as coaches are often parked up in other depots for morning peak services, IE up in London. If you had the choice of a 3/4 car train or nothing - what would you rather have ? We should be lucky anything ran at all last night with Southern running very close to not having enough staff at all !!

ALL transport to the Amex was busier than usual last night, for the first time in the Amex era ALL P&R was full up, even Race Hill for the first time. It was obvious this was going to happen with more people, yet some still try leaving for the Amex under an hour before KO and try and blame it on the transport !!

And you come on here defending mediocre,at best,service from the train company every time this topic comes up.the service is poor and the excuses for it even weaker.

Thank you.

With respect, I think that the transport arrangements and how they're implemented are EVERYTHING to do with Paul Barber. Specific one-off failures aren't his fault but as people have pointed out transport failures are happening all the time. Last night's chaos at Brighton seems to be no more than an extreme example of a regular problem. Transport to games is part of the product he's selling for and am not sure that he gives much of a toss about this sort of thing. How much does he care? Has he, for example, already asked British Rail and the Police for an explanation of what happened and is he planning to put out an apology on the website? Let's see.
Agreed. Let's not forget ... the deal with the railways starts with a conversation that should go something like this ...

Football Club: "We want to make arrangements with you to ensure that a quarter of a million passenger journeys can be made on your trains over the coming year, maybe more, if the service is good. We're prepared to pay you. What can you offer?"

And later on ...

Football Club: "We're paying for a quarter of a million passengers to travel on your trains. They're not getting the service that you promised. What are you going to do about it?"

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They were (generally) 6 or 8 car AFTER the game but certainly not before. If they were saying before - then they are talking out of their arse again. Of course longer trains were needed, Southern know that, but where can they get trains from when they are already in use on commuter services which take priority on weekdays ?

Southern yesterday morning barely had enough staff to even run the matchday service last night yet somehow got it together so credit for that, but if there is no more coaches available (much like every other evening game we have had at the Amex), then what do you propose ?

Agree with this. There is a finite number of staff/coaches, and M-F trains are almost at full capacity dealing with commuters - FYI I have to pay almost £5,000 a year to get to work in London from Burgess Hill). Given the short notice, they did an OK job although I accept I didn't suffer what appears to be a mess at Brighton

Crowd control - police need to take more of a part in as Southern staff are badly trained at it. Some of the time (and I know I will probably get some stick for this), fans really dont help themselves by becoming impatient and selfish IE "crushing" onto trains by forcing and even pushing others onto trains to get onto it before other people, which is incredibly dangerous. The same people will also block up the doors and not move down, causing people to get left behind.....much like these peoples common sense when they walk out the door on the way to the Amex it seems.

Definitely. Why not a couple of 'platform attendants' checking that the trains are full before they leave (to avoid the half-empty carriage' issue). Some of the crush is caused by f*ckwits blocking the doors and not moving down the aisles when they move in.

An extra P&R has been mooted for ages and the club really do need to get their act together in sorting it out. A taxi rank is also needed for licenced taxis only, not just a pick up point which would just get clogged up. Of course the Greens would HATE that though. Possibly an additional shuttle bus service between Brighton Station - Old Steine and the Amex is needed as well it would certainly take pressure off the trains.

Is there capacity at the ground, and enough buses locally, to have another P&R facility ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think there has to be far more alternatives available for transport than there are currently, as the current options appear to be failing large numbers of 'customers'. Why not a major taxi rank at the stadium (or somewhere pretty damn close that doesn't fall in the clutches of Lewes District Council).

That's much space around there for such a thing. There IS a taxi rank at the bottom of Coldean Lane, I'm surprised there's not a pack of taxis there after every game TBH as I'm sure they'd do good business

Why not an additional Park and Ride at Withdean?
Didn't there used to be one? No idea why it was scrapped but think Lord B knows about this. IIRC, he was responsible for it in the first place

Why not a Dolmus system (shared taxi/minibus, seats about 12)?
Again, where would they park?

Why not ask Southern Water if the club could rent out the humungous car park on their near derelict site across the road from the stadium?
The club did and Southern Water refused - don't see what the club could do about that: they could offer silly money and charge silly money to park there but they'd probably get no take-up

There are so many ways the transport system could be improved.
There aren't really though, there could be a few tweaks to make things better but evening games are always going to be a bit of a pain.

Must say, afternoon or evening games are never a problem for me - there's always plenty of space for a bike (even if the cycle racks are full). I'm staggered more B&H people don't use this as an option: flat roads and cycle paths all the way. I'm home before 10.00 for evening games but even if I lived in Hove, I'd be home well before 10.30 (and that's staying till the end)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It is cause of an organised complaint. I am speechless at the rotten service. It is getting worse.

Even at the worse game, I feel like going next week, but after the first hour on the train after the match, I think, I've got me mad to put up with this treatment. It is not just a crowded train ride to London. It actually takes twice as long to go 12 miles!

I am thinking of cycling the 12 miles to Shoreham next season as it takes 90 minutes to get there (105 minutes last night) and two hours to get home. I thought I had planned the trains out really well as well.

It is a serious downer. Buses from Shoreham were even worse. Same time taken before they were discontinued.

Unless, the trains companies can provide a better service, I think they ought to drop the travel arrangements (if possible) because the service is not a service at all, it is a money pinching rip off.

Last edited:

LOL
[MENTION=26439]Brightons[/MENTION]tation
So tempted to go trolling the clueless few twits on North Stand Chat. Clearly they understand running a railway NETWORK more than I do!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
That's much space around there for such a thing. There IS a taxi rank at the bottom of Coldean Lane, I'm surprised there's not a pack of taxis there after every game TBH as I'm sure they'd do good business

Didn't there used to be one? No idea why it was scrapped but think Lord B knows about this. IIRC, he was responsible for it in the first place

Again, where would they park?

The club did and Southern Water refused - don't see what the club could do about that: they could offer silly money and charge silly money to park there but they'd probably get no take-up

There aren't really though, there could be a few tweaks to make things better but evening games are always going to be a bit of a pain.

Must say, afternoon or evening games are never a problem for me - there's always plenty of space for a bike (even if the cycle racks are full). I'm staggered more B&H people don't use this as an option: flat roads and cycle paths all the way. I'm home before 10.00 for evening games but even if I lived in Hove, I'd be home well before 10.30 (and that's staying till the end)

Have you got a cycle map? I used to be one of only a handful (if that) of fans who cycled to the Goldstone. Not sure if the route is pleasant enough from the Aquarium uphill it seems to me. I would want to avoid buses if possible. They are a menace to cyclists. Generally, I found Brighton a hideous place to cycle, hills and buses and pedestrians on the cycle paths. I get home at 11:30 to Shoreham by train.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here