Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clapping the opposition off the pitch.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Tell you what, why don't you get off your high horse for a minute here because I don't recall a single comment from you when Brighton fans have abused opposition players or fans in the past when we've lost. Brighton fans abusing the opposition is pretty much every experience we've ever had at the Amex so you can take your moralising and your pretending that it's now somehow the norm and you can shove it up your arse, you pompous shitpuffin.

No I am in awe of your stance, truly. We need more like you. And I am in even more awe of your explanation and abuse of fellow Brighton supporters. I hope your parents are proud of you.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No I am in awe of your stance, truly. We need more like you.

My stance is exactly the one I and pretty much every fan around me at the Amex has had up until this game. You'll have to point me to all the times in the past where you've had a pop at your fellow fans for doing so. And if, for some reason, you can't, then I guess we can conclude that your attempt now at moral superiority is little more than virtue-signalling and I hope that next season when you irrationally abuse a rival team's player or their fans (and you will) that you recall these words. Hypocrite.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Can we please not do that again? It right royally wound me up more than the performance on the pitch today. You'll be pleased to know that I stuck true to my beliefs and flicked Vs at them and called them all names.

Seriously though...why do that?

Nice one. That showed em!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My stance is exactly the one I and pretty much every fan around me at the Amex has had up until this game. You'll have to point me to all the times in the past where you've had a pop at your fellow fans for doing so. And if, for some reason, you can't, then I guess we can conclude that your attempt now at moral superiority is little more than virtue-signalling and I hope that next season when you irrationally abuse a rival team's player or their fans (and you will) that you recall these words.

I have no wish or even energy for moral superiority. I just find it quite dumbfounding that someone has got so Mr Angry that they have to come home, no doubt blowing steam out of ears, to tell those that clapped how disgraceful they are. Does it seriously take over your life so much that you are incandescent with rage? I think you need a hobby, and possibly a beta blocker.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No I am in awe of your stance, truly. We need more like you. And I am in even more awe of your explanation and abuse of fellow Brighton supporters. I hope your parents are proud of you.

Your first post in this thread is to call me names yet you berate me for abusing fellow fans. Once again, your hypocrisy stinks.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Your first post in this thread is to call me names yet you berate me for abusing fellow fans. Once again, your hypocrisy stinks.

I only called you what any like minded football/sport supporting person would. But if calling you an idiot is abuse I will wholly retract it (I may think it though).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
My stance is exactly the one I and pretty much every fan around me at the Amex has had up until this game. You'll have to point me to all the times in the past where you've had a pop at your fellow fans for doing so. And if, for some reason, you can't, then I guess we can conclude that your attempt now at moral superiority is little more than virtue-signalling and I hope that next season when you irrationally abuse a rival team's player or their fans (and you will) that you recall these words. Hypocrite.

We lost they were better, why the anger? The title is still ours to lose and we go to Villa with it in our hands.

Bristol City didn't park the bus they were better than us and it was a great win against potential champions elect.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I have no wish or even energy for moral superiority. I just find it quite dumbfounding that someone has got so Mr Angry that they have to come home, no doubt blowing steam out of ears, to tell those that clapped how disgraceful they are. Does it seriously take over your life so much that you are incandescent with rage? I think you need a hobby, and possibly a beta blocker.

Having played the amateur moraliser and badly, you now offer yourself up as a Poundshop psychiatrist cum GP. I can't wait to see what you next pretend to be an expert about.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't get worked up about it personally.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We lost they were better, why the anger? The title is still ours to lose and we go to Villa with it in our hands.

Bristol City didn't park the bus they were better than us and it was a great win against potential champions elect.

I think this will fall on deaf ears as he is only going mental about people clapping.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Having played the amateur moraliser and badly, you now offer yourself up as a Poundshop psychiatrist cum GP. I can't wait to see what you next pretend to be an expert about.

Mate, I am going to leave you to your seriously soaring blood pressure. I commented on your totally purile thread. If you want to carry on, please be my guest. I am safe in the knowledge that I know we didn't play well, we lost and people clapped off the opposition, that is their choice, but I can safely say in the three hours after,drinking with mates, it wasn't brought up once, even as an afterthought. So, whatever floats your boat, you go for it. Personally, I'm finished with this idiotic thread.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I only called you what any like minded football/sport supporting person would. But if calling you an idiot is abuse I will wholly retract it (I may think it though).

I'm not seeking any retraction from you as we have already established that your newly-found outrage at Brighton fans abusing rivals is about as fake as Donald Trump's barnet. I'm merely pointing out that you're a hypocrite. Stop trying to deflect with these cod diagnoses of my health.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I must have missed the memo where I had to be respectful of other teams. It's football, not a debating chamber. It's about schadenfreude, irrational grievances, celebrating flukey goals, ripping the p*ss out of their star players and moaning at the ref when he sends off one of our players for pole-axing a winger. Maybe I'm a dinosaur but outside of racism, homophobia and suchlike everything else is fair game whilst their team is on the pitch. These are some of the reasons why I love it so much.

But "the crowd" isn't respectful of every team, It reacts with a hive memory of events associated with certain teams and also to the events that unfold within the game. So a few years ago when we played Ipswich (a team for which we'd never previously felt any great animosity) and a small number of their fans unfurled that banner we hated it and we reacted accordingly. We carried on that reaction the following year. We show no respect to teams/fans who don't respect us. Conversely, "the crowd" relate positively to Charlton fans (including it being nearly always a good day out there) so in general we have a good relationship with them. We hate Leeds because they're arrogant Champions of Europe and northern monkeys and because they're Dirty Leeds. We like Brentford and Fulham because it's always a good day out at their grounds. We never hated Burnley or Middlesbrough until Ramirez and Barton. We hate Pompey because, well because, because they're close to us and something happened some time ago that we didn't like. We really really hate Palarse because of how they treated Mullery. We hate teams if we have history with them. Most teams "the crowd" don't hate.

After the Wigan euphoria and mounting anticipation in the build up to our last home match before joining the Premier League, the Bristol game proved to be a huge let down. The impending disappointment grew more palpable during the second half, increasingly muting all sections of the home fans. At the final whistle "the crowd" had to struggle to come to terms with what happened against a team for which we've never had any real animosity (not even the Cardiff play-off). During that process of individual and collective rationalisation, at least a third of "the crowd" chose to recognise the endeavour and achievement of a team whose desire to survive in the Championship was stronger that of ours wanting to become Champions. There was no shame in that.

I agree, everything is fair game on the pitch but the 10K or so Brighton fans who applauded the Bristol players did so after the game, not during the heat of battle. The contest was over. It was a sporting gesture. Very British. English even. You may rail against our reaction it but it wasn't needy. In defeat it was paradoxiously magnanimous.*

* Oh detractatiously perverse Russell, you couldn't help yourself could you?.Get thee behind me Satan

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But "the crowd" isn't respectful of every team, It reacts with a hive memory of events associated with certain teams and also to the events that unfold within the game. So a few years ago when we played Ipswich (a team for which we'd never previously felt any great animosity) and a small number of their fans unfurled that banner we hated it and we reacted accordingly. We carried on that reaction the following year. We show no respect to teams/fans who don't respect us. Conversely, "the crowd" relate positively to Charlton fans (including it being nearly always a good day out there) so in general we have a good relationship with them. We hate Leeds because they're arrogant Champions of Europe and northern monkeys and because they're Dirty Leeds. We like Brentford and Fulham because it's always a good day out at their grounds. We never hated Burnley or Middlesbrough until Ramirez and Barton. We hate Pompey because, well because, because they're close to us and something happened some time ago that we didn't like. We really really hate Palarse because of how they treated Mullery. We hate teams if we have history with them. Most teams "the crowd" don't hate.

After the Wigan euphoria and mounting anticipation in the build up to our last home match before joining the Premier League, the Bristol game proved to be a huge let down. The impending disappointment grew more palpable during the second half, increasingly muting all sections of the home fans. At the final whistle "the crowd" had to struggle to come to terms with what happened against a team for which we've never had any real animosity (not even the Cardiff play-off). During that process of individual and collective rationalisation, at least a third of "the crowd" chose to recognise the endeavour and achievement of a team whose desire to survive in the Championship was stronger that of ours wanting to become Champions. There was no shame in that.

I agree, everything is fair game on the pitch but the 10K or so Brighton fans who applauded the Bristol players did so after the game, not during the heat of battle. The contest was over. It was a sporting gesture. Very British. English even. You may rail against our reaction it but it wasn't needy. In defeat it was paradoxiously magnanimous.*

* Oh detractatiously perverse Russell, you couldn't help yourself could you?.Get thee behind me Satan

Great post, well put. I disagree with you fundamentally for all the reasons I've previously stated but enjoyed reading it nonetheless.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I clapped them off. It was a spur of the moment thing.

I'm going to sit on the stairs now, and think about what I have done.

May 21, 2004
Preston Park
It was a unique ocassion - our players left the pitch before the opposition and more or less the whole of the crowd stayed behind watching the opposition saluting their fans having played a good game and guaranteed staying up. The crowd was in a feelgood mode waiting for the lap of honour and having enjoyed a great season. Normally the ground would have been half empty by full time with the rest of the crowd heading for the concourse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did we clap Preston off? Brentford? Newcastle? I don't recall a Brighton match before where the opposition have been applauded for beating us.

I can, when Swansea beat us at Withdean to win the title. They were even presented with the cup there, & quite a few Brighton fans stayed to watch & applaud.

No other clubs' fans do this and we've never ever done it before and I've seen hundreds of games where Brighton got played of the park by a better opposition. It's just so needy and right-on. By all means have a drink after with them and have a civilised debate about who are the nicer fans but what's wrong with just for those 90 minutes abusing the other team and fans as our forefathers did?

Let's not pretend that it's something we have done before because we're better fans. We're not. We're just more needy.

I remember the Spurs fans giving our players a standing ovation after we lost to them 2-1 in 2005. We fought hard that day, and they knew they had been in a fight against a really good lower league side. It's about respect.

How-ever, the main reason we applauded them yesterday was that we were all still in the stadium. Any normal game that we'd have lost, we would have left the stands by the time they went over to their fans. But I think we would have applauded anything yesterday, because of the hype and hysteria created before the game.

We were expecting to clap and applaud someone at the end of the game. It just so happen to be our opponents because they were better than us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here