Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice man Hughton faces tough decisions

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We do need new players but not a whole new squad, I think Stockdale re tweeting the WHU thing is in utterly poor taste and he could have at least waited till the season was over, seems his intention could be clear.
Not really impressed with the Knocky song about more money either, It wouldn't have gone unnoticed by Bloom.
He will be totally aware of what it will take to keep players and also aware that plenty of players want to play in the Premier League.
Keeping the team solidarity together may be harder than first thought now that money will get in the way.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can't see us getting more than 2 or 3 in and one of those might be Poc on a free. Most of the players we have can make the step up and the ones the fans will doubt can, may be able to too. If everyone is fit we do have strength in depth.
We do have strength in depth - for the Championship! You may be right about only two or three coming in - although that rather depends on who we might have to replace (Stockdale, Stephens). I certainly don't want to start replacing our team lock, stock and barrel - but it follows as night follows day that there will be changes. Poc on a free would be fine for starters - but then I think maybe two or three (minimum) on top of that.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It might be a bit dangerous going without goalkeepers, or don't they count in the 25?

In general terms, I have seen the words "steely determination" applied to CH, and Dale Stephens commented strongly that he has the respect of everyone at the club. He won't shy away from doing the right thing and making difficult decisions if need be.

Very good point :lolol: Stockdale and Maenpaa make 23 so just room for 2.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
We do have strength in depth - for the Championship! You may be right about only two or three coming in - although that rather depends on who we might have to replace (Stockdale, Stephens). I certainly don't want to start replacing our team lock, stock and barrel - but it follows as night follows day that there will be changes. Poc on a free would be fine for starters - but then I think maybe two or three (minimum) on top of that.

If it's 25, we need to aim to have 25 players that CH would be happy to field in a Premier league match. I suppose it could be bolstered by Development Squad players, but I don't know enough about that to comment on whether any are capable of stepping up. But I would imagine our search for new signings is very well in hand already.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I dont think the whole midfield needs replacing. I hope we sign 4 or 5 players. 2 strikers, a central midfielder (2 if Stephens goes) and a right back. I'm just highlighting that perhaps we don't have as much strength in depth in midfield as people think, certainly not at PL level. Last season we were noticeably poorer when Kayal and Stephens weren't playing together. If Stephens doesn't sign a new contract and Kayal gets injured again, next season our midfield pair could be Sidwell and Norwood. That isn't even close to a midfield that will compete in PL.

Of course players going will require direct replacements. I think Hughton sees Norwood as a player with potential and who will grow and learn from Stephens, Kayal and Sidwell. It's up to everyone to raise their games and players peak at different times. When we first got Stephens he wasn't half the player we see today.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Yeah I'm not considering Stockdale & Stephens leaving but they would be replacements rather than an add to if this happens.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I saw a video from last night in Brighton town centre, where the crowd and Dale Stephens singing " we want you to stay, and give him more money" He didn't seem awkward about it, and seemed in good spirits. Made me think he might sign a new contract, otherwise he may have quietly celebrated away from the crowds.

Mar 2, 2014
Murphy, Baldock, LuaLua, Hemed, Manu, Sidwell - these are the players who should be sold or moved on in the summer depending on contract status. The defence is fine, the goalkeepers are sufficient as well. We need Premier League quality in the more advanced positions in my opinion, if we want to thrive rather than fight to survive.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Murphy, Baldock, LuaLua, Hemed, Manu, Sidwell - these are the players who should be sold or moved on in the summer depending on contract status. The defence is fine, the goalkeepers are sufficient as well. We need Premier League quality in the more advanced positions in my opinion, if we want to thrive rather than fight to survive.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Manu? WTF keep up

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Tomori would be a great loan signing as he is still young enough not to count towards the 25.

Keepers(3)
Stockdale / new signing
Maenpaa / new signing
New signing
(Walton out on loan)

Fullbacks(4)
Bruno
Rosenior
Pocognoli / new signing
Bong / new signing

CenterBacks(4)
Duffy
Dunk
Hunemeier
New signing / Goldson if fit
(Tomori if possible, U21)

Central midfield(5)
Stephens / new signing
Kayal
Norwood
Sidwell / new signing
New signing
(Towell out on loan)

Wingers(4)
Knockaert
March
Skalak
Murphy

Striker/Midfield(1)
New signing

Strikers(4)
Murray
Hemed
Baldock
New signing

Rules permit only 2 loans.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I stopped when i read Tony Cascarino's name!

This. Although knowing how these things work, there's a distinct possibility he didn't actually write it...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Exactly. Murray and Baldock will stay and play, but we need more goal threats against PL class defenders. M'boro didn't address this properly ... look at their goal scores stat and impending drop.

The same with other positions.

And to be prepared for the injury crises we always seem to suffer for long spells each season.
No, they bought Rudy Gestede who is utterly pony. I can't believe Villa - then Boro - jizzed millions on him based on one above average season at Cardiff. At least Jordan Rhodes had done it for a couple of seasons in a poor side.

Anyway, I'll swim against the tide a bit and say that I wouldn't be surprised if Hughton DOESN'T make our forwards the principle target of squad strengthening. We've been here before. When we signed an out of form Shane Duffy for £4.5m, pretty much everybody without exception on here scratched their heads wondering why we had blown our budget on an area we apparently had the best cover. It turns out Hughton had felt we could have done better defensively from the corner that Burnley scored their crucial equaliser last season. He was right - we don't concede those anymore. He was also right to have faith in Baldock and Hemed once Murray had rocked up.

I've no idea where our real weaknesses lie anymore, so I'm happy to let Sir Chris and his brilliant recruitment team find what they need, there will be no scrutiny from me or eyebrows raised regardless of who he signs. But if it was me, I'd say we need fullback as a #1 priority, a centre back if Goldson doesn't I come back, then we will probably have to let one of our wingers go too as we will need at least one of them upgraded (Jiri or Murphy, as there is no chance March or Knocky will be leaving). Only then do I think he'd consider upgrading our strike force.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
For me the only players I would be selling/releasing are;

Lua Lua
Ince
Skalak
Sidwell (would love to give him a coaching role though)

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Tomori would be a great loan signing as he is still young enough not to count towards the 25.

Keepers(3)
Stockdale / new signing
Maenpaa / new signing
New signing
(Walton out on loan)

Fullbacks(4)
Bruno
Rosenior
Pocognoli / new signing
Bong / new signing

CenterBacks(4)
Duffy
Dunk
Hunemeier
New signing / Goldson if fit
(Tomori if possible, U21)

Central midfield(5)
Stephens / new signing
Kayal
Norwood
Sidwell / new signing
New signing
(Towell out on loan)

Wingers(4)
Knockaert
March
Skalak
Murphy

Striker/Midfield(1)
New signing

Strikers(4)
Murray
Hemed
Baldock
New signing

Rules permit only 2 loans.

looking at that list we could be struggling to make the 8 home grown players required in the 25. As I understand the ruling, only English and Welsh players qualify so players like Duffy and Murphy don't, but I could be reading this wrong and be happy to be corrected.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
On the (ugly) subject of money, I hope and honestly feel that TB, PB, CH et al will not be pushovers when it comes to contracts and agents.

I feel confident that anyone not playing fair and reasonable might be given short shrift.

Just my hopes anyway.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If we want to upgrade a winger - and if there is any chance of bringing him back from RB Leipzig - then we should go for Oliver Burke.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here