Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

School holidays

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So Brighton Council is giving all school children an extra week off during October half term, so the parents can afford off-peak holidays

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...lidays/ar-BBuoYhU?li=BBoPOOl&ocid=mailsignout

Apart from the fact that it is grey and wintery at the end of October and not every one will want to take time off then ..

Parents will now have to take five days annual leave for the extra week, or pay £200-600 a week for holiday childcare

So now everyone will be worse off financially, plus all children will miss out on a week's lessons.

Genius move there by the council

The last two or three October's have had better weather than the rest of the summer

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It was in the radio a couple of weeks ago that somewhere in Devon is doing similar in June just by putting the inset days into 1 block. Also it saves a lot of money for the council by extending a holiday in winter by reducing the heating costs.

I work in a school, there are around 8 of us who are there all year round (plus there are always teachers in and out during school holidays, extra revision sessions being run for students with exams coming up etc), therefore the heating still has to be on so there is no saving to be made. Most secondary schools have staff in all year round so the idea it saves money for the school is ridiculous. The only time we have no staff in is for the week between Xmas and New Year.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Its a ball ache, and as previously mentioned, the travel companies will just hike the if prices for the extra week anyway. My sons school back up their inset days and break up for summer 3 days earlier. The idea behind this is that families can get away a bit earlier and attempt to save a few quid. However, it doesn't work like that as the private schools have already broken up and the prices have already climbed. I'm sure the council have tried to think this through, but they've got it wrong, and more than likely are already a step behind the travel companies

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
From what I understand children will not miss any schooling as they will reduce some of the other school holidays to make up the five days.

Yes that is right...next year, foe example, Easter is not two weeks, two days less. Then there are a few days taken off at Christmas and around the year.

Because of the ruling by the judge over taking kids out of school, there has been a knock on ......school finishes this Friday, BUT the last two weeks has seen a lot if kids being taken out of school for holidays. In the older year groups this is becoming a problem for teachers planning lessons.

It's really something the government needs to look at or it will become the norm and like speed limits, people will push the boundaries out and that will be a serious issue.,

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Well no. My wife will still have to take an extra week's (unpaid) annual leave, no matter how nice the weather is, that's a bit of a financial hit.

No she won't because it is NOT an extra week, despite the Argus headline saying it is. As Magic Sponge pointed out, it is a reshuffling of days, probably making the Summer Holiday slightly shorter and or amalgamating some inset days together.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I think all school children should be given complete freedom to choose when they take their annual 26 weeks holiday.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Been doing this where I live in Kent for the last 3 years. They have reduced the summer holiday back down to 5 weeks and used the time "saved" to increase October half term, which they have added on to the front of that week, so effectively last two weeks in October.

However, there has been more honesty here, as it has not been dressed up as lets be nice to parents and give them cheap holidays, but has been about standardising the length of the terms. By moving a week from summer they have managed to make all the terms a standard length, improving the ability to plan accurately.

However, at the moment, if you are canny you can find some cheaper holidays by going the week before the majority of schools break up for October half term, but it will not take the holiday companies long to catch on!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Are there many people where their holidays are set by the employer? I know there are some engineering firms that have shutdowns so as to carry out annual maintenance but that doesn't account for all of someone's holiday.
The majority of junior doctors are in this situation. Usually notified a month before the start of the job.

I told my rota coordinator well in advance when my wedding day was. They said that wasn't possible as it didn't fit their rota!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It was in the radio a couple of weeks ago that somewhere in Devon is doing similar in June just by putting the inset days into 1 block. Also it saves a lot of money for the council by extending a holiday in winter by reducing the heating costs.

I work in a school, there are around 8 of us who are there all year round (plus there are always teachers in and out during school holidays, extra revision sessions being run for students with exams coming up etc), therefore the heating still has to be on so there is no saving to be made. Most secondary schools have staff in all year round so the idea it saves money for the school is ridiculous. The only time we have no staff in is for the week between Xmas and New Year.

Who the hell has their heating turned on in October ? Mrs W isn't allowed heating until at least November 1st.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At school today my Year 6 son will be ...

... watching Madagascar 3

Quite how they've got the front to pull off these stunts, in the last week of EVERY term, is beyond me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Quite how they've got the front to pull off these stunts, in the last week of EVERY term, is beyond me.

Agreed, poor form.

Some kids may not have seen Madagascar and Madagascar 2 - how are they expected to follow the complicated plot lines?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Who the hell has their heating turned on in October ? Mrs W isn't allowed heating until at least November 1st.

You'd be surprised at how many staff moan about the heating here. I am expecting at least 1 member of staff to say they are feeling a bit cold even today.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

My son and step daughter will do the equivalent of diddly squat for the whole of this week at school and they have the cheek to prevent me taking them out of school this week to go on holiday !!!!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
You'd be surprised at how many staff moan about the heating here. I am expecting at least 1 member of staff to say they are feeling a bit cold even today.

There's these new fangled things called jumpers that can solve that problem :wink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes, i recall the last week and half of school year was a write-off, and similar on the week before Christmas, most subjects either a "revision" class, or watch a video.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Teachers are a funny breed, they can be dressed like Scott of the Antarctic in 30 degree sunshine and still need another layer or two.
Our Computng (Yes, Computing and not IT - I am that old) teacher at College used to wear woolly jumpers all the time and with his long hair and beard, he naturally became the Hairy Yak as he looked like the game programmer Jeff Minter. This is what Minter looks like now.

maxresdefault.jpg

How you can pull that look off in summer and not dehydrate, I have no idea.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here