Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Remote access software to WFH

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Good afternoon everyone.

I'm going to have an operation on my knees shortly and I am hoping to be able to access my work laptop from my home one.

I just want to be able to access accounting software (Sage 50) to enter transactions and produce reports, so nothing too intensive, but wondered what you guys recommend that is free or fairly low cost as it is only a small company. I'd say under €500 per annum.

The broadband isn't the fastest as it's in a rural area. It is currently running at 13.15mbps download and only .84mbps upload.

I would appreciate any input.

Many thanks

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Have you tried asking your company IT bods? Surely that would be any sensible person's first port of call? :dunce:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Have you tried asking your company IT bods? Surely that would be any sensible person's first port of call? :dunce:

Yeah sorry, it's a small family owned business. I am the only admin staff member :D

I'm kind of looking at logmein and things like that but just wanted recommendations.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes thanks, that's the sort of thing. I just want to make sure it is suitable for what I am trying to do.
I'll have a look :thumbsup:

Found it very good. I'm on infinity so it's just like sitting on the actual computer, however with your connection speeds I would do the trial first.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You could always give TeamViewer a go.

It's £30 per month for the business licence.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/buy-now/

Yes thanks, that's the sort of thing. I just want to make sure it is suitable for what I am trying to do.
I'll have a look :thumbsup:

Teamviewer will only work if you get all the 'go to sleep' settings on your laptop disabled otherwise when your laptop goes into power save you won;t be able to connect. Surely your company must have a firewall that you can set up a VPN to from said laptop ( i.e. take it away with you ) and access systems.

It always amazes me that even in small companies they have no remote access setup as standard.

D

Deleted member 22389

Teamviewer will only work if you get all the 'go to sleep' settings on your laptop disabled otherwise when your laptop goes into power save you won;t be able to connect. Surely your company must have a firewall that you can set up a VPN to from said laptop ( i.e. take it away with you ) and access systems.

It always amazes me that even in small companies they have no remote access setup as standard.

I think sage is on that laptop, which in that case it would be easier and quicker just to bring the laptop back. Not used sage in years, you must be able to do a lot of this online.

Last edited by a moderator:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Ok just to explain it's a very very small construction company owned by two brothers. I use the bosses laptop with Sage on it. I am their first admin employee, before that they used their external accountants. They don't need an IT system yet but they may evolve to that one day. First steps and all that.
I'm just asking for some recommendations.
I'll look at team viewer and logmein, thanks for the suggestions.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Teamviewer will only work if you get all the 'go to sleep' settings on your laptop disabled otherwise when your laptop goes into power save you won;t be able to connect.
I suppose if it's a small family business, he could ask a family member to switch his work laptop on and off each time. Having it on all the time (not even letting it sleep) doesn't sound like a good option.

What's stopping you from bringing it home, does someone else at work need to use the same laptop?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I suppose if it's a small family business, he could ask a family member to switch his work laptop on and off each time. Having it on all the time (not even letting it sleep) doesn't sound like a good option.

What's stopping you from bringing it home, does someone else at work need to use the same laptop?

It's pretty much exactly what you say. The laptop is used by the boss/wife/family even sometimes.
Thanks for the advice guys

D

Deleted member 22389

It's pretty much exactly what you say. The laptop is used by the boss/wife/family even sometimes.
Thanks for the advice guys

Hope you get something sorted. You can go around in circles, and start wasting lots of time with all this stuff.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ive used Gotomypc, which is like logmein, for business related access and seems OK. account restricts access so its not open to the world.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Another recommendation for teamviewer, I use it a lot and it sounds like it will do exactly what you want. There is a non business free for personal use version which is fully functional so I'd recommend installing that to check it does what you need and then if so you could pay for the business license although I'm sure a lot of people use the personal version for light business use not that I'm saying you should.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Good afternoon everyone.

I'm going to have an operation on my knees shortly and I am hoping to be able to access my work laptop from my home one.

I just want to be able to access accounting software (Sage 50) to enter transactions and produce reports, so nothing too intensive, but wondered what you guys recommend that is free or fairly low cost as it is only a small company. I'd say under €500 per annum.

The broadband isn't the fastest as it's in a rural area. It is currently running at 13.15mbps download and only .84mbps upload.

I would appreciate any input.

Many thanks

I do a day a week (spread over evenings and weekend mornings) for my old company and use teamviewer to remote a PC in their office. There is a "nag screen" but you could use the free version quite easily - not advocating, just saying.

Install on both machines. You can wake up a remote machine, just so long as it remains switched on, so don't worry about sleep mode etc.

I use it for work and as "tech support" for my 75yo father-in-law as well, great piece of software.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Team viewer will do what you want as said. Whether you use it for non commercial use or pay for commercial, well either would work. Logmein is a slower in my experience or that might just be the screen refresh.

Or Google desktop which works through chrome, I havent used it yet. Or old school VNC is free for personal use

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Hi everyone, just to say thanks for the advice. Team viewer is doing exactly what I needed :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here