Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
That's a shame Gaffer, will you be looking to get yourself along to volunteer?!

Beware of overtraining! Mileage is crucial for the longer distances but I'd think about strengthening sessions and speedwork sessions as well for the variety and overall boost to your fitness. I've dropped mileage this year and thrashed my times all over the place. Adding in swimming has been huge too, something I don't generally enjoy but it has a massive impact. Are your times in the NSC table, Nathan?

Earlier this year I pushed too hard with the miles and picked up an injury, so trying to be more careful now. I had thought about introducing swimming once a week but just thinking about it puts me off! Saying that I should give it a go to build up my strength.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Beware of overtraining! Mileage is crucial for the longer distances but I'd think about strengthening sessions and speedwork sessions as well for the variety and overall boost to your fitness. I've dropped mileage this year and thrashed my times all over the place. Adding in swimming has been huge too, something I don't generally enjoy but it has a massive impact. Are your times in the NSC table, Nathan?

OK, I went swimming for 30 minutes in my lunch break today. First time I have been swimming on my own for well over 10 years, normally just mess around with the kids in the pool. It was hard work but I enjoyed it and can already feel it! The only down side getting water in my ear and now I can't hear anything. Thanks for the push to get in the pool, hopefully I will make it a regular event.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
OK, I went swimming for 30 minutes in my lunch break today. First time I have been swimming on my own for well over 10 years, normally just mess around with the kids in the pool. It was hard work but I enjoyed it and can already feel it! The only down side getting water in my ear and now I can't hear anything. Thanks for the push to get in the pool, hopefully I will make it a regular event.

Ear plugs and swimming cap in future.

Tomorrow morning at Preston Park is The Velothon Marathon - where some 100 or so nutters will be running 26.2 miles around the cycle track from 9am ......... 72.5 times around the track. It will certainly be my most unusual marathon to date, Marathon 133 here I come.

If in the area in the morning say after the 5k park run, please pop by to support us.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Tomorrow morning at Preston Park is The Velothon Marathon - where some 100 or so nutters will be running 26.2 miles around the cycle track from 9am ......... 72.5 times around the track. It will certainly be my most unusual marathon to date, Marathon 133 here I come.

If in the area in the morning say after the 5k park run, please pop by to support us.

I'm hoping to be in town tomorrow and if so will head along to witness you and the other nutters getting dizzy.
Good luck to you and @GNT and any others (@dazzer?) taking part.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Earlier this year I pushed too hard with the miles and picked up an injury, so trying to be more careful now. I had thought about introducing swimming once a week but just thinking about it puts me off! Saying that I should give it a go to build up my strength.

It's so much easier said than done isn't it really. I far more enjoy going out and running 5/6 miles at a time minimum but that doesn't really add too much value. When you're then running specific sessions and doing fewer miles but with better quality, it seems you get far more out of it. Certainly in my case.

Swimming is a totally different discipline, it's a funny one. I've not been for a while though, it was a friday morning thing for me but I've not been able to get up and get to work for 9am for the last few weeks, let alone be in the pool at 7am!

Tomorrow is sub 18 parkrun attempt for me, I'm not feeling confident that I can make it happen but I'll be looking to beat 18:23.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's so much easier said than done isn't it really. I far more enjoy going out and running 5/6 miles at a time minimum but that doesn't really add too much value. When you're then running specific sessions and doing fewer miles but with better quality, it seems you get far more out of it. Certainly in my case.

Swimming is a totally different discipline, it's a funny one. I've not been for a while though, it was a friday morning thing for me but I've not been able to get up and get to work for 9am for the last few weeks, let alone be in the pool at 7am!

Tomorrow is sub 18 parkrun attempt for me, I'm not feeling confident that I can make it happen but I'll be looking to beat 18:23.

Not pb weather tomorrow. Good luck.
When are you doing your first full triathlon? 1.5k swim, 40k bike bike and 10k jog (for you).

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hi all, quick question for you seasoned park runners! Hove Park or Hove Prom which is the quickest course? Thinking of going for it this morning and just about to check what the wind is doing. Feeling I may have a PB in my legs and want to give myself the best chance! Hopefully some of you may see this message in time and have a view on what will be quickest today!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hi all, quick question for you seasoned park runners! Hove Park or Hove Prom which is the quickest course? Thinking of going for it this morning and just about to check what the wind is doing. Feeling I may have a PB in my legs and want to give myself the best chance! Hopefully some of you may see this message in time and have a view on what will be quickest today!

Wouldn’t be a lot in it today with the wind. Hove Park would be my preference today as no turns.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Prom is flatter but the weather dictates how quick it is.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
It is getting to that time of year where the best parkrun times will come on the courses without mixed surfaces. It was getting a bit slippy in places around Stoke Park this morning, so no course pb, but happy with a 19:13-ish.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good to see a strong NSC contingent getting dizzy at the velodrome this morning. 78 Laps! All looking strong after 90 mins. Well done [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION], [MENTION=635]Gary Nelsons teacher [MENTION=12697] and nice to say hello to Steve Foster[/MENTION] .
Look forward to hearing the stories.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Reckon it’s three years nearly to the day since the first NSC parkrun meet up. Captured as part of Hove Park parkrun’s 10 year celebration - two of NSC’s finest on the right hand side.

2397AB94-4DB6-4792-825B-335A3FB35087.jpeg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Reckon it’s three years nearly to the day since the first NSC parkrun meet up. Captured as part of Hove Park parkrun’s 10 year celebration - two of NSC’s finest on the right hand side.

View attachment 91025

I think my bald head with fuzzy bits of hair on the side is behind the girl in the pink top. You probably thought it was Coco the Clown.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Not pb weather tomorrow. Good luck.
When are you doing your first full triathlon? 1.5k swim, 40k bike bike and 10k jog (for you).

I ran an 18:30 today, although something has gone wrong with the barcode scanning so I've had to email them to update the website. I felt like I was going struggle to maintain the pace I needed today, probably not enough of a warm up but I wasn't awake early enough today really. It wasn't my best run but I moved through the gears in the first mile and found myself completing the first mile in 5:35 which felt ok. Even at mile 2 I felt I was moving ok having completed a 6:02 for 11:37 at the 2 mile stage. My plan was to sit in and then pile into a straight sprint from the final cone turn to try and get under 18, or 18:22 for a PB. It didn't happen for me today, but I'm going to target another PB run attempt in 3 weeks with a couple of tweaks to sessions. Good to see [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] today, [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] appears also to have been there but not to have run into us.

A triathlon will happen, maybe in 2018 but definitely in 2019 if not.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
I ran an 18:30 today, although something has gone wrong with the barcode scanning so I've had to email them to update the website. I felt like I was going struggle to maintain the pace I needed today, probably not enough of a warm up but I wasn't awake early enough today really. It wasn't my best run but I moved through the gears in the first mile and found myself completing the first mile in 5:35 which felt ok. Even at mile 2 I felt I was moving ok having completed a 6:02 for 11:37 at the 2 mile stage. My plan was to sit in and then pile into a straight sprint from the final cone turn to try and get under 18, or 18:22 for a PB. It didn't happen for me today, but I'm going to target another PB run attempt in 3 weeks with a couple of tweaks to sessions. Good to see [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] today, [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] appears also to have been there but not to have run into us.

A triathlon will happen, maybe in 2018 but definitely in 2019 if not.

Good to see you again [MENTION=13055] Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], and also to meet [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION].

To avoid last weeks mistake of going off too fast I started back a bit, right in the middle of the pack to slow my start down a little - and it seemed to work. I kept a good steady pace and glanced at my watch around halfway and I was doing 7min mile pace which was thereabouts to break the elusive 21min. Stepped up my pace after the last turn, then dug deep for the last hill and fell over the line, gasping for breath as I stopped my watch at what I thought was 21:02, matching my PB. When I got my breath back I looked again and my watch was still running - and stopped it again!. When I was speaking to P'sH I started to have my doubts about my time and sure enough, my official time came in as 22:01.

Not too disappointed, I suppose, with all those U-turns, Preston Park is not going to be PB territory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here