Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you carry or are considering carrying any self defense items?

A newspaper can be a very good weapon, rolled tightly with a stabbing action it would be very solid the similar to a piece of wood or bar and would inflict a lot of damage and pain, enough to subdued them.

If it is a weekend edition complete with supplements it could be deadly :)

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
This thread reminds me of the charging Lion joke.

"Just throw a handful of shit in its face".

"Where would I find a pile of shit?"

"Don't worry, if one charges at you there will be a pile at your feet".

Improvise and survive!

Govinda Tim

Apr 13, 2012
Brighton
Sorry, not legal at all. I was stopped once and shown, by armed police, the Home Office list of things that are listed as offensive weapons, and 'Kubitan" was on it. I tried to explain that you could not have an object less offensive than a Kubitan but still received an official caution which has given me a criminal record for 'possession of an offensive weapon'. Bit shit really because that could mean hammer, crowbar, bat etc, not 6 inch piece of wood on a key ring. Be advised.

That would depend on what type of Kubotan you use. Some are sharpened at the end, some have spikes attached and of course these would be illegal. In its basic form, a ballpoint pen is a primitive kubotan and a purpose made one is simply a bar with ridges down the length. Add a keyring and some keys and you have a mini flail and a kubotan.

Kubotan Key Ring.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Spare a thought for those who go there every day!

Luckily, I only have to go to my office one day a week. I won't be changing anything about my days there and certainly wouldn't consider carrying anything extra for "protection".

I worked in Cavendish Square when there was an IRA bomb at the back entrance to John Lewis. It was a little inconvenient, but nobody really talked about it much. At that time, I recall several times being diverted on walks across the capital because of security alerts and everyone just took it in their stride. We're a resilient lot and not known for panic or knee-jerk reactions generally.

Just keep doing what you've always done. As others have said, the stats are very much in your favour. I, too, am a fatalist. If your time is up, there's not much you can do about it.

Same for me. Couple of days a week in the London office, couple of times a month on planes but won't be 'carrying' or changing my routine. Been doing it so long now, through the end of the main IRA period, 7/7 etc (and was in NYC on 9/11) - if your number is up, it's up. I'm still far more likely to cop it in a car accident or have a heart attack in front of the TV.

Most people who work in London I encounter are the same to be honest - after such events the trains/tube seem to be extra quiet for a couple of days with people looking around a bit more intently, people will talk about it at work for a bit but things very quickly go back to normal. Only very occasionally does someone make a material lifestyle change as a result.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
That would depend on what type of Kubotan you use. Some are sharpened at the end, some have spikes attached and of course these would be illegal. In its basic form, a ballpoint pen is a primitive kubotan and a purpose made one is simply a bar with ridges down the length. Add a keyring and some keys and you have a mini flail and a kubotan.

View attachment 86147

Sorry, no it won't. Try and get through customs at Gatwick with that and you will end up with a criminal record. It is exactly what I had on me when I was stopped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here