Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Band(s) you wished you had seen but never will, and band(s) you saw and wished you hadn't!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Would love to have see classic line up Guided By Voices.

Wish I hadn't bothered with 'Air' at The Dome, tedious.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Three acts that I would love to have seen live are all of the same ilk and all of the same era: Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Buddy Holly. Recently, [MENTION=2422]Tony Meolas Loan Spell[/MENTION] and I got our hopes up that Abba were going to reform because both of us would love to see them live but it was some crummy hologram show. I'd definitely pay top dollar if they did get together again.

The band that has always let me down is Massive Attack. I understand their latest tour was something to behold but Sod's Law, I missed that - or rather didn't want to go. The Brighton Centre has been the scene of many a bad gig for me, I hate that place with a vengeance but two gigs in particular that stick out are Paul Weller around 2005 (even he was bored by it) and the Specials in about 2011, I'd previously seen both their nights at Brixton for their first come-back tour and that was so bloody good it was spiritual and I really should have left with that memory.

Many's the time that I've seen a shambolic Mark E Smith's The Fall but that's half the attraction and it's never a bad time. Similarly, I've walked out of a Morrissey gig early but then again, you half-expect him to be bloody awful nowadays so it's the risk you take. A band of no real consequence to me who were bloody awful were Glasvegas at the Dome. It's difficult to describe just how rubbish they were.

My very worst gig was the 20th anniversary one-off gig that Tricky had for his Maxinquaye album. For a start it was in the Indigo nightclub at the O2. Horrible, horrible place. He told us he wasn't doing the album in track order, had to be dragged back on stage repeatedly by a very embarrassed Martina Topley-Bird (he was obviously off his face), he then announced his brother would do a free-form hip-hop skit whilst he f*cked off again and then finally when he did emerge he invited the audience on stage for a sing-song and we were treated to a load of trustafarians doing selfies with him and the band. Martina had quite rightly left long before this and washed her hands of the whole affair.

I wouldn't have minded so much but Maxinquaye has a very special place in my heart and the album means so much to me. I was really quite furious.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I wish I'd seen Bowie, a friend had a brother who was a good mate of his, and i was offered a ticket for the last Ziggy gig at Hammersmith Apollo, my parents wouldn't let me go, cos my mates brother smoked dope. I was only 14 as well.

I wish id never seen Robbie Williams, Mrs LLFs favourite, and ive got to go again in June:ffsparr:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I saw Earth Wind and Fire about 14 years ago but only Phil Bailey, Verdine White, Ralph Johnson and Larry Dunn were left of the originals.
I kick myself that i did not see them early 80's when the great Maurice White and others were in the band.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wished I had seen would be Talking Heads.

Wished I hadn't bothered. Bob Dylan. Kings of Leon.

Byrne played The Dome c8 years ago, playing his Eno material. Cracking. But, yes, Talking Heads would have been well worth seeing. We can make do with Stop Making Sense though.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Wish I'd seen the Eagles but never did. Was gutted when I heard Glen Frey had died last year.

I thin the worst I have ever witnessed was Kelly Osbourne as a support act at Knebworth - my God!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Black Sabbath, sadly £23 booking fee per ticket had an impact on my not making the purchase for this current tour. Somehow I've managed to miss them ever since discovering them in the 70s

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I wish I'd seen Bowie, a friend had a brother who was a good mate of his, and i was offered a ticket for the last Ziggy gig at Hammersmith Apollo, my parents wouldn't let me go, cos my mates brother smoked dope. I was only 14 as well.
:

As an enormous Bowie fan I saw the Serious Moonlight and Glass Spider tours, and both left me feeling monumentally underwhelmed, in fact I thought they were both absolutely rubbish.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Black Sabbath, sadly £23 booking fee per ticket had an impact on my not making the purchase for this current tour. Somehow I've managed to miss them ever since discovering them in the 70s

I was not into heavy stuff, but went with a couple of mates to see sabbath in 73, i was still at school. They played at the Ally Pally and had just brough out Paranoid, so played the album.....bloody loud !!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wish I'd seen the Beatles (although to be honest, the Bootleg Beatles are probably better - seen them three times).
Really would have liked to have seen the Small Faces in their pomp, and Genesis in the early days with Peter Gabriel.

Found Yes very hard work, to be honest.................and didn't really appreciate Ray Davies getting all snidey about students at a students' union gig!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I could have done without the first half hour (felt like 3 hours) of Durutti Column at Komedia.
Vini Reilly announced that he'd be playing the old stuff later but first was going to play some songs he'd written with his new girlfriend. It was ****ing excruciatingly crap

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I could have done without the first half hour (felt like 3 hours) of Durutti Column at Komedia.
Vini Reilly announced that he'd be playing the old stuff later but first was going to play some songs he'd written with his new girlfriend. It was ****ing excruciatingly carp.

I was there for that! Shame I didn't see you. My God, he must really have loved her because it was utter turd. Did get better though after that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Realistically, I had the chance to see Nirvana at Portsmouth Poly in 88/89 and came very close, but didn't.

The Beatles weren't touring in their prime. Stones in the early 70s would have been delightful. Stevie Wonder round about that time would have been a treat too. The Who would have been something else, befitting of some new ear drums, as would Hendrix. Bowie, Talking Heads, Joy Division in the 70s would have improved my life if I'd been five or eight years older. Nina Simone at her most difficult too.

Have seen most bands/performers that I wanted to, and [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] has indicated what the problem with comebacks/nostalgia-gigs. That said, I still have a forlorn hope of seeing Tom Waits.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

An ex girlfriend I used to live with told me she had bought tickets for the Spice Girls, i said I hoped she would enjoy the show, she said I've also got one for you. :eek:
She was very disappointed when I told her I wasn't going. FFS

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Realistically, I had the chance to see Nirvana at Portsmouth Poly in 88/89 and came very close, but didn't.

The Beatles weren't touring in their prime. Stones in the early 70s would have been delightful. Stevie Wonder round about that time would have been a treat too. The Who would have been something else, befitting of some new ear drums, as would Hendrix. Bowie, Talking Heads, Joy Division in the 70s would have improved my life if I'd been five or eight years older. Nina Simone at her most difficult too.

Have seen most bands/performers that I wanted to, and [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] has indicated what the problem with comebacks/nostalgia-gigs. That said, I still have a forlorn hope of seeing Tom Waits.
To be honest, the Stones in the early seventies were rubbish. Big on presence and all that, but musically? - pretty naff.

The Who, on the other hand, were AWESOME!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here