Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Left back needed...... ASAP

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Yes, players are sometimes asked to play out of position. Sometimes they even do a job. Sometimes even young defenders do play a few games as full backs before being entrusted with a CB role (Steve Cook and John Stones spring to mind, for example).

Still, if Goldson can do a better job at RB than Calde, he'll presumably be better at LB too? Logical, you must admit.

OK then, let's suggest to CH that we play CG at LB......fair enough; until the return of Greer and Uwe, I'm sure Calde will do his best not to let us down at CB alongside Dunk.

I'm not suggesting switching Goldson to RB, I'm suggesting getting a RB in on loan to play at LB.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Be great to have Bong back

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 22.34.28.png

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Good:
Brilliant left back at Championship level.
Hughton's Championship winning left back at Newcastle.
Probably available for loan.

Bad:
We'd have surely signed him in the transfer window if there was any possibility of him coming here.
Not played this season.
Probably injured.
We'd maybe have to cover all his wages (£50k+?)

Conclusion:
Sadly, not going to happen.

Was on the bench for the West Ham match last night so not injured. Why sign him early when we still have ridgewell. Only wages for one month when we're in with a great shout this year, plus we might not have to pay it all.

Sadly, I agree, not going to happen.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not sure if Calderon was that bad as back up left back when he was playing recently.

It was more of a case the whole team was having a bad run of form at the time.

And a lot of goals coming from individual errors such as Dunk's or coming from Bruno's side. Can't remember a glaring mistake from Calderon if honest

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
No thanks. Utter rubbish and would NO WAY lay himself on the line, out of contract at end of season and turned down the chance to go on loan to Newcastle in Jan where he would have actually PLAYED in case he gets injured. Holding out for a free and one of these who is genuinely only in it for the money.

Their youngster who played against West Ham last night would be a shout, looked really hungry.

I would agree with you to a point IF that is really his attitude. Personally I think that experience and quality would probably see him through the much lower standard that is the championship. Bridge/Upson are players we thought might be past it but proved otherwise and Enrique is a lot younger than they were. You're probably right though, 200+ Prem appearances at Newcastle and Liverpool.... Not good enough for us.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I would rather have Calderon at left back than Ridgewell. I can't remember us conceding any goals this season from a Calderon error. And when I've seen Ridgewell play, wingers have gone past him very easily.

I think Calde is good enough to do the job until Bong or Rosienior are back from injury.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I would rather have Calderon at left back than Ridgewell. I can't remember us conceding any goals this season from a Calderon error. And when I've seen Ridgewell play, wingers have gone past him very easily.

I think Calde is good enough to do the job until Bong or Rosienior are back from injury.

It's never a Calderón error. He's always too far behind play to make errors

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

It's not really errors from Calderon that are a worry. It's just that Murphy is not as potent going forward because Calderon does not get ahead of Murphy going forward which is understandable. Ridgewell gives you more in that respect.

I wouldn't worry about the left back position just at the minute. Bong is supposed to be back by the time Ridgewell leaves, unless there has been set backs in the last week or two that we haven't heard about in relation to Bong

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's not really errors from Calderon that are a worry. It's just that Murphy is not as potent going forward because Calderon does not get ahead of Murphy going forward which is understandable. Ridgewell gives you more in that respect.

I wouldn't worry about the left back position just at the minute. Bong is supposed to be back by the time Ridgewell leaves, unless there has been set backs in the last week or two that we haven't heard about in relation to Bong

For your last statement to be true, Bong would need to be in full training NOW, as Saturday is Ridgewell's last game. Unless there is extreme secrecy, he is not.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

The last two games (wins) Murphy has played much better - a result of playing in front of Ridgewell instead of Calderon. We lose a lot of our effectiveness when we have limited threat down the left, Hull could double up on knocky then we'd be toothless.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There are 10 days in between now and the first game Ridgewell is not expected to be here. I don't know if Bong is back in training or not. All I said was that there was an expectancy Bong would be back by then. Has that expectation altered in the last week or two ? Maybe it has, I don't know but as of now I am not worried about it until I hear differently that he won't be back by then. When that happens I will worry about it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here