Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why I Don’t Sing at the Amex?

I don’t sing at the Amex because…

• I’m a middle-class southerner, for heaven’s sake, and we just don’t do that sort of thing down here.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I’d rather chew off my own arm than sing in front of a bunch of complete strangers.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t start singing for no good reason in Waitrose. Why on earth should I do it at the Amex?

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I’ve got a terrible voice anyway, and my wife totally forbids it.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • No one else in my row/block/stand/stadium does it, so why should I? Besides, I’d feel silly.

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • I’ve got far better things to do with my time than learn all the words to Alll-bi-onnnn.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I already clap along to Sussex by the Sea (admittedly out of step) What more do you people want?

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I don't go very often and only join in with "Al- bi- on and Sea- gulls as I know the words to them:)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's time to reintroduce this word back into the football lexicon: spectators.

In previous eras, football supporters didn't have a problem with being known as 'spectators.' It wasn't an insult. Nor did they seem to get neurotic because no one has sung a song for the previous ten minutes.

It's only in modern times with so much money at stake in the game (and higher levels of vanity) that supporters have got rather big for their boots and imagine themselves as the '12th man' who can influence whole games. It's through this that we've got all this navel having about there was an 'atmosphere' or not, or which stand was the noisiest. Before, it was all about watching and enjoying the game itself.

Well, before you paid on the gate, and stood where you wanted to. On any given game all those wanting to sing could move together freely and easily, those that didn't could sit in the stand, or stand some where else. Everyone was happy and enjoyed the game as you say, and if you wanted to sing, you knew exactly where to go. Allocated seating and all seater stadiums changed all that.

Players definitely respond to the crowd though. They can feel the tension, or rise to the support they're getting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
W1H (WSL) is rubbish too, but at least it's close enough to the NW Corner lot so we dio get some 'entertainment' however predictable it is (not that we'd join in of course, we're far too reserved). Personally I usually stick to randomly shouting expletives every time Leo falls over/a cross fails to beat the first man/ball goes backwards from a good position/Kaz loses the ball and makes no effort to get it back etc

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, before you paid on the gate, and stood where you wanted to. On any given game all those wanting to sing could move together freely and easily, those that didn't could sit in the stand, or stand some where else. Everyone was happy and enjoyed the game as you say, and if you wanted to sing, you knew exactly where to go. Allocated seating and all seater stadiums changed all that.

Players definitely respond to the crowd though. They can feel the tension, or rise to the support they're getting.

Not if most of them have left to beat the traffic

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Research tends to support this but not necessarily in the way you might think. Vocal crowd support can in fact raise stress levels in players and make them more aware of the crowd thus reducing their performance levels. Surveys have shown that penalties taken away from the home crowd end are more likely to be successful than those at the 'home end'.

There are grounds however to suggest that a vociferous home crowd does have an effect on the decisions made by officials benefiting the supported team.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I sing very loudly in perfect tune but the bloke standing next to me gets the words to Sussex By The Sea all wrong and does them at 100mph. I think he only comes to get on Fanzone.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I regularly join in to the Albion and Seagulls, and We are Brighton, Super Brighton. I'm in the WSL, and love the fact that no-one else around me joins in.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
I do sing a bit, but I find myself doing it less than I used to - the fact that few of the people around me are prone to sing does put me off.
At away games there's always that sense that you have to sing, because you're vastly outnumbered. And you're usually standing, which helps when you want to belt out a few songs.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Depends where I am sitting, if I am in the North area I will sing more than any other stand because it is more natural. Saying that I don't mind being quieter in the West and concentrating on the game because my voice isn’t what it used to be.

Anyone who chooses the North has a duty to get into the spirit of it because historically that is the stand that carries a singing obligation more than any other.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Research tends to support this but not necessarily in the way you might think. Vocal crowd support can in fact raise stress levels in players and make them more aware of the crowd thus reducing their performance levels.

I can go along with that.

There are grounds however to suggest that a vociferous home crowd does have an effect on the decisions made by officials benefiting the supported team.

Burnley springs to mind, but it's not singing, it's more booing, hissing and shouting abuse at every decision whether it's for them or against them.

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
Because at home games I'm in 1901 and hardly anyone does. My neighbour and I sing GOSBTS, Albiooooon and I sing some of the player-specific songs, but the peer pressure not to sing is really pretty high.

At away games, I tend to stand somewhere close to the guys who start nearly all the songs and sing along merrily. However, I have a horrible, high squeaky voice while singing (which is odd since I have an averagely deep male speaking voice) and I get embarrassed. It doesn't stop me singing, but I do tend to sing more quietly than I would if my singing voice were more manly.

I'm the same, except for the squeaky singing voice, brilliant singing on Tuesday night at Hillsbrough.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
- Because singing makes no discernible difference to the outcome of a match.
- Because it's best to give the players some peace and quiet to help them concentrate on the matter in hand
- Because many of our songs are anti-Palace rather pro-Albion.
- Because 'go left' is an uninspiring dirge of a song
- Because I'm not very good at singing.
- Because I didn't pay this money to join a choir.
- Because I paid to get in - that's me showing support, rather than letting people know which stand I'm sitting in
- Because I am not drinking alcohol while watching the match
- Because I'm busy watching the match.

Oh, and...
- Because Brighton play an uninspiring, patient game that doesn't inspire often a rush of adrenalin that is conducive to singing

Tell me, why do you go again?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here