Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex pitch

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes, zonal so only the necessary sections need to be turned on.

Yes and as far as I am aware it has not been used once yet.
I have always thought that the pitch has never been as good as it should be, I put it down to when it was laid, it was during a hot dry summer period and it was watered constantly with tap water which is never as good as rainwater.
Plymouth have the same pitch but due to the warm weather, rain and very little sun the pitch is covered in algae and the players are constantly slipping over, they had to get a company in to get rid of it.
Having said that they play a lot of games on it and prior to the algae it is in far better condition than The Amex.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I have always thought that the pitch has never been as good as it should be, I put it down to when it was laid, it was during a hot dry summer period and it was watered constantly with tap water which is never as good as rainwater.
Plymouth have the same pitch but due to the warm weather, rain and very little sun the pitch is covered in algae and the players are constantly slipping over, they had to get a company in to get rid of it.
Having said that they play a lot of games on it and prior to the algae it is in far better condition than The Amex.

I'm pretty sure it was used prior to the first FA cup game against Newcastle.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I thought the club had their own borehole?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I saw it remarked on somewhere last week, might have been Naylor on Twitter, that when you see it closer the pitch is in a surprisingly poor condition in places.

There was an incident in the 1st half v Boro, when Wilson accelerated into the box past their defender and pushed it a little bit wide, but then sliced his right-foot shot horrifically into the south stand. The replay on the big screen showed the ball was rolling along just fine, but then bobbled up just at the vital moment he went to strike it.

OK that could happen anywhere, on any pitch halfway through the season I suppose. But the Amex surface has never quite been the perfect carpet we were led to believe it would be IMO.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I saw it remarked on somewhere last week, might have been Naylor on Twitter, that when you see it closer the pitch is in a surprisingly poor condition in places.

There was an incident in the 1st half v Boro, when Wilson accelerated into the box past their defender and pushed it a little bit wide, but then sliced his right-foot shot horrifically into the south stand. The replay on the big screen showed the ball was rolling along just fine, but then bobbled up just at the vital moment he went to strike it.

OK that could happen anywhere, on any pitch halfway through the season I suppose. But the Amex surface has never quite been the perfect carpet we were led to believe it would be IMO.

Yes, I remember that bobble, and I reckon he'd have scored otherwise. I think the Amex surface HAS been a perfect carpet (or at least dead flat) until this season though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The pitch is obviously wet due to all the rain during autumn and winter and as DS states is sapping the strength from the players legs - So why do they still insist on having the water jets before kick off and half time??

So we can all comment when at least 5 players slip over every match.

I always blame the wet pitch and the fancy football boots the players wear, never seen a ref slip over in a pair of Black Adidas :)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The pitch is obviously wet due to all the rain during autumn and winter and as DS states is sapping the strength from the players legs - So why do they still insist on having the water jets before kick off and half time??

The pitch was looking a bit naff before the rugby.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The girls match was daft then if they had doubts about the pitch.

Rugby was understandable as it gave us international exposure, a full house and money, but a few girls running around kicking the ball badly in front of 3,000 people is not a good enough reason to make the pitch worse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The girls match was daft then if they had doubts about the pitch.

Rugby was understandable as it gave us international exposure, a full house and money, but a few girls running around kicking the ball badly in front of 3,000 people is not a good enough reason to make the pitch worse.

:fishing:

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I think the big problem is the amount of games that has been played during heavy rain, I don't remember previous seasons having so many consecutive games where it rained during the game.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This is an extract from the FA guide to maintaining pitches.
attachment.php

View attachment FA IOG Groundsman Guidance Document.pdf

Attachments

• 2740_491_276.png
    2740_491_276.png
    239.7 KB · Views: 505

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
The pitch has been terrible all season, remember saying before our first league game that the pitch didn't look in great condition compared to previous seasons.

You look at The Emirates and the condition of many of the pitches at 'new grounds' and struggle to understand how we can get it so wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here