Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Please provide links. I haven't been on another planet, but can't remember much publicity about the club searches.

I love the way you class fans as dullards or being on another planet (alien) who don't agree with your views.

Two examples for you (there are more)... the chase for the Argentinian striker and Vydra... seriously TB, I know you know...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No. No he wasn't. He was our natural born 20 goals a season striker with innate positional sense and focussed aggression who was hounded out of the club by the post-Withdean boo-boys. There's not been an Albion striker fit to lick his boots, either this season or last season.

20-goals-a-season in league 1. NOT in the Championship. Muzza was by far the better player. Ulloa was clearly better, and I'd also put Hemed above him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
20-goals-a-season in league 1. NOT in the Championship. Muzza was by far the better player. Ulloa was clearly better, and I'd also put Hemed above him.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. :shrug: I'd put Hemed bottom of the four by an immobile country mile.

If I had a pound for ever time I said 'Barnes Would Have Got That' this season, I'd have been in the 1901 instead of in the North.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Much as I am critic of his appearance to goals ratio and thats why he will never ever be a top striker. The above is very true.

You cannot possibly say that... many players were injured at that time... there are just too many variables.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We'll just have to agree to disagree then. :shrug: I'd put Hemed bottom of the four by an immobile country mile.

If I had a pound for ever time I said 'Barnes Would Have Got That' this season, I'd have been in the 1901 instead of in the North.

Agree to disagree... meanwhile, I was saying Zamora would have got that BTW! ;-)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Seriously. Barnes was more mobile. With better instinctive positional sense. Was hungrier. Was more aggressive. It's a complete no-brainer IMHO.

It's interesting that I agree with most of your statement, but I still think Hemed is the better striker... certainly a better finisher, especially with his head, and also I see Tomer's positional sense as better than Barnes...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's interesting that I agree with most of your statement, but I still think Hemed is the better striker... certainly a better finisher, especially with his head, and also I see Tomer's positional sense as better than Barnes...

Always just seemed to me that Barnes wanted it more, And his natural born striker's positional play was excellent. Hemed just seems to me to be a bit sluggish. A sort of COG 2.0. Not the kind of player that anybody's going to be cherry-picking anytime soon. Average lower-to-mid table Championship striker - with Baldock WAY further down the cherry-picking table. Kind of players we'll end up LUMBERED with.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If its any indication of their respective ability Leicester paid £10m approx for Ulloa and Burnley paid £850k for Barnes, some difference in values by others ITK not NSC members. We paid £2m for Hemed. That makes Ulloa followed by Hemed followed by Barnes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Barnes' positional sense was one of the best things about him. It's the reason he was constantly right place, right time (hence missing so many sitters, he had so many chances) and I know it's been mentioned so many times but he was one of a few players who seemed to find a genuine wavelength with Vicente.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We dominated the first half vs Wed at home....then ran out of steam.
As for the Derby s/off it was 10 mins or so with ten men....and was he even on the pitch then?

I'm on about Baldock disappointing performances against better quality opposition (up until the injustices, if you will). If you want to justify it the other way round, go ahead

Forwards rely on decent service and when you are down to 10 men then obviously that service is limited - I am not saying that Baldock is a world beater but he is adequate. I agree that to make the next step from ''Nearly there'' to ''there'' we possibly need better than adequate.

I do however think that in Hemed there is a prolific striker waiting to come out. He scored 17 goals in his first season and he did miss quite a few easy chance but I like his confidence and his work rate and when you have confidence, that half the battle for a striker

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No. No he wasn't. He was our natural born 20 goals a season striker with innate positional sense and focussed aggression who was hounded out of the club by the post-Withdean boo-boys. There's not been an Albion striker fit to lick his boots, either this season or last season.

I've seen Ulloa has been added to the conversation in response to this. I was going to bring him up, but realised he wasn't here for the previous two seasons.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Two examples for you (there are more)... the chase for the Argentinian striker and Vydra... seriously TB, I know you know...

Chase is a strong word. There was a photo of Winstanley watching one South American. Enquiries after Vydra (nothing more than enquiry) were soon shelved when Watford wanted £2million just for a loan.

That's not chasing strikers, that's looking for options. Who is to say the options were to replace Baldock?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's not chasing strikers, that's looking for options. Who is to say the options were to replace Baldock?
Tony needed to fill the positions he had available before looking at replacements.

Sadly he didn't, the team spent the season light on strikers, and as a result didn't gain promotion - simples.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Forwards rely on decent service and when you are down to 10 men then obviously that service is limited - I am not saying that Baldock is a world beater but he is adequate. I agree that to make the next step from ''Nearly there'' to ''there'' we possibly need better than adequate.

I do however think that in Hemed there is a prolific striker waiting to come out. He scored 17 goals in his first season and he did miss quite a few easy chance but I like his confidence and his work rate and when you have confidence, that half the battle for a striker

I do agree with you, but i think we all saw that confidence evaporate when Baldock wasn't along side him. If we can find someone who will do the work that Baldock does AND chip in with maybe a dozen or so goals then yes Baldock would make a fantastic option off the bench, i cant think of too many though, Barnes is one in my opinion.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If its any indication of their respective ability Leicester paid £10m approx for Ulloa and Burnley paid £850k for Barnes, some difference in values by others ITK not NSC members. We paid £2m for Hemed. That makes Ulloa followed by Hemed followed by Barnes.

United paid £10-15 for Zaha, They picked Rashford up for free. They paid 26m for Anderson, Swansea paid 2m for Michu.

Transfer fees aren't a reliable indication of ability.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tony needed to fill the positions he had available before looking at replacements.

Sadly he didn't, the team spent the season light on strikers, and as a result didn't gain promotion - simples.

Yup. Being totally brutal, we ended up with two crocks (Zamora, Wilson) and two so-so's (Hemed, Baldock) up front. If it hadn't been for the rest of the side pinging in goals like there was no tomorrow, we'd have finished up mid-table.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
United paid £10-15 for Zaha, They picked Rashford up for free. They paid 26m for Anderson, Swansea paid 2m for Michu.

Transfer fees aren't a reliable indication of ability.

And you still managed to miss out Carroll to Liverpool. That takes some doing when trying to prove this particular point :lolol:
A point I completely agree with btw.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yup. Being totally brutal, we ended up with two crocks (Zamora, Wilson) and two so-so's (Hemed, Baldock). If it hadn't been for the rest of the side pinging in goals like there was no tomorrow, we'd have finished up mid-table.
I'd say it was 3 crocked with the one healthy striker needing a break.

It's a minor miracle the team got so close.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here