Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Can you see Hughton falling on his sword if we fail to get new players in this window?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
With Swansea resorting to Carvalhal and Stoke scraping Paul Lambert from the bottom of the barrel, I dread to think of who we would end up with if CH left.

This, is the problem. Unless he falls on his sword (why would he?) he's with us at least until next Christmas IMO

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Alright, I'll bite. Got any evidence for that at all?

Have you read all the comments on tactics since Saturday? The self same tactics everyone was applauding until recently. There are some pretty damning comments that almost sound like a lack of confidence in CH, is that good enough?

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No. Never said you had Icy. You've been very fair although you do like discussing things that are extremely unlikely to happen as if they already have. (Board won't back him, Crowd and fans will turn on him, he'll resign)

I haven’t actually said any of those things will happen, I have asked if they might. Is that not the point of a discussion forum? We can’t all have your blind faith! (Sadly) :smile:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Have you read all the comments on tactics since Saturday? The self same tactics everyone was applauding until recently. There are some pretty damning comments that almost sound like a lack of confidence in CH, is that good enough?

I'm not sure a few archair managers on here demonstrates an 'undercurrent of dissatisfaction' and indicates that the fans are starting to turn on CH.

I think you may have jumped the gun by some distance on that one. As that needless poll suggests.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Personally, no. I think Hughton's made mistakes this year and his blind faith in some players and one system is, at times, infuriating. But I never expected us to stay up and consequently I'm enjoying the season in hope more than expectation. And if we go down, I'd be surprised if we lost many of our first team, so I'd expect he'd be the best person to help us challenge to come back up. Plus, in all honesty, he earned this year on his previous 2 and a half years for me.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Does anyone know a semi intelligent Newcastle or Norwich fan who posts on here? Be interesting to hear their views when they were in this position. Newcastle are only above us by 2 goals and Norwich are 13th in the Championship.

I still believe Chris is the man for the job, he needs the full backing of the board and some better options to start or change games.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
If and that’s a big IF we don’t deliver the players this window then Winstanley should be the first one out of the door.

I remember a Norwich fan saying to me after the game at their place last season that CH is an exceptional manager but his major downfall is his negative and defensive approach whenever he’s managed in the PL, I took that with a pinch of salt at the time, I’m now slightly concerned that he was bang on.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure a few archair managers on here demonstrates an 'undercurrent of dissatisfaction' and indicates that the fans are starting to turn on CH.

I think you may have jumped the gun by some distance on that one. As that needless poll suggests.

So I haven’t got my finger on the pulse then? :wink:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I haven’t actually said any of those things will happen, I have asked if they might. Is that not the point of a discussion forum? We can’t all have your blind faith! (Sadly) :smile:

Ask away. I guess there's a lot of appetite for speculating on what might happen (across about a dozen different threads) if we never make another signing, get relegated, Hughton resigns, the club never score again, TB loses faith and the world falls in :).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Although chances are CH is at least 25% responsible for this ongoing recruitment omnishambles.
We're told there are only 4 people fully in the loop and CH has the final approval on players, maybe I'm being generous with 25%?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Has the transfer window shut ?

No. But we're still playing matches while the window is open aren't we? So the longer we go on without recruiting, the less number of games we have to try and pull back some form. I've said this since the window opened. Our most winnable games are between 'now' and early March.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No. But we're still playing matches while the window is open aren't we? So the longer we go on without recruiting, the less number of games we have to try and pull back some form. I've said this since the window opened. Our most winnable games are between 'now' and early March.

It's as if the last window didn't happen!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I feel an undercurrent of dissatisfaction taking place about CH, his tactics are now being questioned by many and we are a shadow of the team that was doing so well a couple of months ago.

The club will have had two windows to get this elusive striker and from Hughton’s comments this morning in the Argus he is still hoping for them.

Should we get unlucky/feck it up/ not have the finances to get this over the line this window, do you think CH may decide to resign?

He has no record of this but his frustration at the inability to give him a decent chance of turning our season around may just swing it?

Once the fans start turning on him, as they are starting to imo, can we be sure he’ll stick around?

I can’t see Bloom sacking him btw. (and nor should he imo)

Then again, maybe things aren’t THAT bad, we nearly beat Bournemouth, we did beat Palace and we have only had the one recent abysmal performance. Maybe there isn’t really a crisis and all will come good again with a victory/point on Saturday

Absolutely not!!!!

Apart from anything else, he is only a part of the recruitment cog, and not a part which is instrumental in bringing it to a close, so amy failure to recruit would not be his fault.

The only way he might go, I would imagine, would be if he decided the rest of the club, particularly the recruitment team, was inadequate and CH was storming out in a fit of pique. Can't see that happening either.

I think, and hope, he will still be here even if we do come to be relegated.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Can we no longer sign new players to play against Southampton, West Ham, Swansea and Stoke then ?

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
If and that’s a big IF we don’t deliver the players this window then Winstanley should be the first one out of the door.

I remember a Norwich fan saying to me after the game at their place last season that CH is an exceptional manager but his major downfall is his negative and defensive approach whenever he’s managed in the PL, I took that with a pinch of salt at the time, I’m now slightly concerned that he was bang on.

I have been banging the Norwich drum for at least a couple of months now. You could see what was happening, I guess to many still had their CH/Premier rose tinted glasses on. This current problem hasnt just reared its ugly head, its been building up for a while.

There has been noise for a few months now, until recently it was hands over mouth, cant be seen to diss CH, now though, it does appear to be getting louder. We as a team are going backwards. We have not played well for some time (not including the reserve game recently)

Something needs to change.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can we no longer sign new players to play against Southampton, West Ham, Swansea and Stoke then ?

Yes we can. But we've already been to late against Bournemouth (yes I know...), West Brom and running out of time to get any kind of training in against Chelsea.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here