Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notifications from BHAFC women’s team on twitter

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Now we're talking. There was a thread last year about the law changes you'd like to see brought in and that was mine - although I wanted two women per team. The only difference is that I saw this as a FIFA change rather than an FA one. I still stick with it as an idea - I think it would have a massive transformational effect on football, on sport generally and on a wider society.

We're beginning to see it happen in cricket: it happens at serious club level and I'm sure I'll see a woman playing male county cricket in my lifetime (Sarah Taylor has been registered as a player by Sussex, just in case there's an injury crisis).

It will never happen in rugby though - far, far too dangerous. The trend in rugby is in the other direction, to try to reduce discrepancies in weight and power, they're currently separated at 11 years old (it used to be 12) and can't see that changing.

Indeed it would, let's be candid no one would care who is scoring the goals to keep us up in the Prem, human, animal, vegetable or mineral.

If our best player was a woman she would be venerated as any of our previous male heroes.

That is within touching distance, and as we have already moved to positive discrimination and quotas in other areas of society it's absurd we cannot change sports and football.

I take issue with your point about a male county cricket team, in the future it will be a cricket team with simply talented men and women. That has to be the goal (pardon the pun).

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I'll give you credit. It's the first time you have ever tried to be cunning. Clumsy though.

I'll give you none, you are playing the man and not the ball.......you said you wanted to expand horizons, and that surely means change not the status quo.

Arguing for the status quo in society generally speaking is neither radical nor progressive, the status quo in this context is the hand maiden of illiberal Toryism. There is no room in society for mysoginists like you.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'll give you none, you are playing the man and not the ball.......you said you wanted to expand horizons, and that surely means change not the status quo.

Arguing for the status quo in society generally speaking is neither radical nor progressive, the status quo in this context is the hand maiden of illiberal Toryism. There is no room in society for mysoginists like you.

And you sir, are playing a game with no ball. Good luck.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Where have I said that? I just said that most of our fanbase aren't bothered about the women's team. They'd go and watch them if they were. Bringing an attendance from the 1920s is perhaps clutching at straws a little. I don't care if we have a women's team or not- good luck to them. If they want to play football than that's up to them, makes no difference to me. I'm not going to get excited about it though, because the quality is crap compared to men's football.

No-one (in their right mind) has said that women shouldn't be playing football, and that the Amex was built only for men to play. Have they?

:lolol:

Now that is an interesting point. Surely making them play in their own teams with their own gender is discriminatory? It’s only one step up from making them have their own stands to watch games in, like they supposedly do in Saudi Arabia. Which team would transgender folk play in? If we really want complete gender equality then we should all be playing in the same teams, surely?

To be fair, I don't think anyone is actually getting upset. Except @TheLargeOne of course, but that's a bit different.

Integrated sport provides the only practical platform for those going through or post gender reassignment. As the ECB state in their values.....cricket has no boundaries.

Men, women and those in transition all playing together is full unequivocal equality.

Anything less is not and gender apartheid should not be tolerated.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Where have I said that? I just said that most of our fanbase aren't bothered about the women's team. They'd go and watch them if they were. Bringing an attendance from the 1920s is perhaps clutching at straws a little. I don't care if we have a women's team or not- good luck to them. If they want to play football than that's up to them, makes no difference to me. I'm not going to get excited about it though, because the quality is crap compared to men's football.

Most of our fanbase aren't bothered about anything outside of the first team. However, it takes more than the first team to make a club and more than just the men's team to build a community. As so much of what the club stands for is about community, it's only natural that BHAFC should promote everything it does in terms of football. I would hardly say that the club is falling behind in terms of the coverage it gives to the men's team - that is the lion's share I would say.

Of course, you could go for a takeover, become Chairman and then impose your own values on the club. Then you can shut down the women's team twitter account and you and [MENTION=72]dwayne[/MENTION] can live in peace.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I note that BHAFC women kick-off on Sunday at 12pm. Exactly the same time as the men kick-off at The Emirates. Isn't that just brilliantly worked out?

Why isn't the game being played on Saturday or, perhaps, later on Sunday afternoon? At least give fans a chance to take in both games.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I note that BHAFC women kick-off on Sunday at 12pm. Exactly the same time as the men kick-off at The Emirates. Isn't that just brilliantly worked out?

Why isn't the game being played on Saturday or, perhaps, later on Sunday afternoon? At least give fans a chance to take in both games.

I guess blame TV for that one as the women often play on a Sunday (usually starting either 12pm, 1pm, or 2pm) and the Arsenal game was moved for BT Sport. Even if it was later in the day on Sunday its unlikely the crowd would increase though if they'd moved it to say 4pm it might've given them a shot!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I guess blame TV for that one as the women often play on a Sunday (usually starting either 12pm, 1pm, or 2pm) and the Arsenal game was moved for BT Sport. Even if it was later in the day on Sunday its unlikely the crowd would increase though if they'd moved it to say 4pm it might've given them a shot!

Fair enough. I'd suggest that as a burgeoning sport, there needs to be just a little bit of creative thinking around this stuff and the club and/or FA permit fixtures to be moved, where it appears sensible to do so, in order to attract crowds.

I don't know if Culver Road has BT Sport but, if they did, it would surely be attractive for some fans to head down there and watch the men on TV and then head outside to watch the women kicking off at 2:00 or 2:30. If they don't, play it on Saturday afternoon as Lancing are away this weekend.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Paul Barber stated on this week's Albion Roar that he did try and get the women's game moved - to no avail.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Paul Barber stated on this week's Albion Roar that he did try and get the women's game moved - to no avail.

I hadn't realised that - wonder if it was the FA or Durham who said no despite the fact (at least from Brightons point of view) it would've made sense...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Are we obliged to enthuse and marvel at everything the club does? I don't mind lassies having a bash at it, all women should be treated as if they were equal but I'm not interested in hearing about it or watching it. It's a bit shit. But then again, I don't have twitter so it's not really a problem.
There will be a White Knight along on a charger soon to sort you out for that comment.

[emoji38]ol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fair enough - there’s some short-sightedness going on somewhere then. Shame.

I hadn't realised that - wonder if it was the FA or Durham who said no despite the fact (at least from Brightons point of view) it would've made sense...

I think there was an an element of - even though the Arsenal match was known sometime in advance - Durham had already made their arrangements. With the lack of resources available, to change the fixture, travel arrangements, hotel bookings etc would have been a cost too far. That was the inference I got from speaking to Amy Merricks a couple of weeks ago.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Most of our fanbase aren't bothered about anything outside of the first team. However, it takes more than the first team to make a club and more than just the men's team to build a community. As so much of what the club stands for is about community, it's only natural that BHAFC should promote everything it does in terms of football. I would hardly say that the club is falling behind in terms of the coverage it gives to the men's team - that is the lion's share I would say.

Of course, you could go for a takeover, become Chairman and then impose your own values on the club. Then you can shut down the women's team twitter account and you and [MENTION=72]dwayne[/MENTION] can live in peace.

People are weird. Why would I want to shut the women's team twitter account? Why do people get so uptight about this stuff? If someone had said "Why are we allowing a women's football team to exist?" then I could understand it. But as far as I can see, nobody is.

Yes, they have.

Could you point me in the direction of this person (in their right mind)? Because even if someone has said that, they would be in the absolute minority.

I just find it odd that people want to somehow claim that the women's team is a huge part of the Albion, when to the vast majority of supporters, it isn't. I wonder how many of the 30,400 packed in to the Amex could name a single player in the women's team? I have no idea, but I'd be stunned if more than 2,000 could. Just to be absolutely clear, that doesn't mean I'm saying the women's team should be shut down, locked in the stocks or put in a ducking stool, just in case anybody miss-understands that.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
People are weird. Why would I want to shut the women's team twitter account? Why do people get so uptight about this stuff? If someone had said "Why are we allowing a women's football team to exist?" then I could understand it. But as far as I can see, nobody is.

Excellent. So, you're happy for the club to promote the activities and achievements relating to all its teams as this reflects the ethos of the club. I'm really pleased you've come round.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Excellent. So, you're happy for the club to promote the activities and achievements relating to all its teams as this reflects the ethos of the club. I'm really pleased you've come round.

I'm not sure I ever suggested otherwise, so I don't really see how I'm supposed to have 'come around'. This thread is odd, it really is.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here