Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Victor Chandler

Sep 2, 2014
Haywards Heath
In your opinion.

I'm not trying to say the choice is amazing, but why bother walking / driving to the polling station to scribble over the Ballot paper, can't really see the point personally. Still, you have made your point on NSC which is all important, good thread, 6 pages and no doubt more to come :thumbsup:

Of course it is his only his opinion. In the same way that you are of the opinion he should not have bothered to spoil his paper. Reasons I’m thinking of spoiling my paper:

1) None of the candidates deserves my vote
2) I have no other way of showing that none of the candidates deserve my vote
3) Failing to vote altogether just shows apathy – I am not apathetic towards deciding who should run the country but I am appalled at the choice of candidates

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think it's telling that there has been a high youth turn out as I'd expect most to vote after uni or college has finished

Whatever the result, I'll give the local Labour party credit. Them and the Momentum lot are apparently hitting the Hollington & Farley Bank estates right now fighting for every vote to the end.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well we all remember Thatcher's "No such thing as society" quote and like it or not it has left its mark

Quite. And the more moderate end of the ideology have to brand themselves as compassionate Tories.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I remember a time when your vote, your income and your 'life' was a relatively private matter. Since the advent of social media it seems expected that you bare your soul, beliefs and anything else to the world on 'social media'. A lot of people think doing that is bizarre and act accordingly.

No you don't.

There have always been people who show off their wealth or their asceticism ostentatiously and those who don't. Those who put posters in their window and those who don't. Those who write batshit mental letters to newspapers and those who don't. Those who are happy to talk loudly in pubs about their politics and those who are embarrassed about it. Fame seekers and limelight shirkers.

In Thatcher's days the City boys were downing champers and snorting chang in front of as many people as possible. In the 1970s the Unions were shoving their politics down as many throats as possible, the suburban middle class were consuming Austin motor cars and prawn cocktails and punks very loudly didn't give a f***.

The internet just means you can search for it easier.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You thought a Tory voter calling the left "thick as shit snowflake absolutists" sums up why people are shy Tories nicely? Caitlin Moran is just the left's answer to Katie Hopkins.

By means of summing up the whole thing for the charade it is. Out voters in the referendum were racists. Lefties are snowflakes. Tories are money grabbing scum. There is no nuance just a load of old name calling bobbins.

FWIW I'm just off out to vote Lib Dem. Somebody has to. In terms of quality of candidates it's by far and away the worst in living memory. It's like choosing between Pompey and Palace. The level of debate is not even Vanarama.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So is Oddschecker, if you're quick you can hoover up some free money

Oddschecker has Corbyn as 25/1 to be PM, and all variations of bets are massively skewed towards a Tory victory right now.

I've followed this all this week, and a couple of days ago a coalition or even Corbyn as PM, was far more likely.

Am I missing something with your take on all this?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
By means of summing up the whole thing for the charade it is. Out voters in the referendum were racists. Lefties are snowflakes. Tories are money grabbing scum. There is no nuance just a load of old name calling bobbins.

FWIW I'm just off out to vote Lib Dem. Somebody has to. In terms of quality of candidates it's by far and away the worst in living memory. It's like choosing between Pompey and Palace. The level of debate is not even Vanarama.

Can't disagree with a word of that :cheers:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
No you don't.

There have always been people who show off their wealth or their asceticism ostentatiously and those who don't. Those who put posters in their window and those who don't. Those who write batshit mental letters to newspapers and those who don't. Those who are happy to talk loudly in pubs about their politics and those who are embarrassed about it. Fame seekers and limelight shirkers.

In Thatcher's days the City boys were downing champers and snorting chang in front of as many people as possible. In the 1970s the Unions were shoving their politics down as many throats as possible, the suburban middle class were consuming Austin motor cars and prawn cocktails and punks very loudly didn't give a f***.

The internet just means you can search for it easier.

Yes I do. At one point if you asked people what they were paid or what they'd voted you'd be told to get lost. OK there have always been fame hungry idiots but in the main in the past it was just, 'none of your business'.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Finally voted and for the first time spoiled my ballot.

Loathe May, and Corbyn worries me.

So I wrote my own box on the ballot.

- Emmanuel Macron. The Make Our Planet Great Again Party.

And crossed it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes I do. At one point if you asked people what they were paid or what they'd voted you'd be told to get lost. OK there have always been fame hungry idiots but in the main in the past it was just, 'none of your business'.

If you asked 90% of people today what they earned they'd tell you to get lost. I have over 200 Facebook friends and over 1000 Twitter followers and the only people to have their salaries even discussed on either platform that I've seen are footballers.

These same people are more than happy to stick their new car in front of their house, wear their nice clothes out and enter passive-aggressive dinner party competitions with their neighbours. Always have been too.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Oddschecker has Corbyn as 25/1 to be PM, and all variations of bets are massively skewed towards a Tory victory right now.

I've followed this all this week, and a couple of days ago a coalition or even Corbyn as PM, was far more likely.

Am I missing something with your take on all this?

He probably means if you time it right you can bet on one party winning and lay at lower odds to guarantee a profit

Edit: At the moment you can place a bet with William Hill at 1.17 for May to be PM and lay on Betfair at 1.15 to make a profit of £1.05 for every £100

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
strange lady in the co op this afternoon was turning all the Daily Mail and Sun backwards so only the sport headlines were showing.
what a pointless waste of time

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He probably means if you time it right you can bet on one party winning and lay at lower odds to guarantee a profit

Arbs have been possible several times as I've posted on here. You're not going to get rich though with the arbs being something like 1.17 / 1.14, and commission to pay at the exchange too.

In fact I've just done that with next prime minister again. My £500 back returns a guaranteed £10.21 profit either way. My bets are being referred to traders now, so I might not get away with much more.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
If you asked 90% of people today what they earned they'd tell you to get lost. I have over 200 Facebook friends and over 1000 Twitter followers and the only people to have their salaries even discussed on either platform that I've seen are footballers.

These same people are more than happy to stick their new car in front of their house, wear their nice clothes out and enter passive-aggressive dinner party competitions with their neighbours. Always have been too.

Your assumption on how they gained those goods says more about you than them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
strange lady in the co op this afternoon was turning all the Daily Mail and Sun backwards so only the sport headlines were showing.
what a pointless waste of time

You're right. If she'd just bought them all she'd have a year's supply of bog roll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Arbs have been possible several times as I've posted on here. You're not going to get rich though with the arbs being something like 1.17 / 1.14, and commission to pay at the exchange too.

In fact I've just done that with next prime minister again. My £500 back returns a guaranteed £10.21 profit either way. My bets are being referred to traders now, so I might not get away with much more.

Not really worth risking your accounts being closed for that return, surely ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here