Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yep I was right anything to hurt the public and spoil their enjoyment. People will blame the company but how much of it was planned so the company gets the blame
It was planned in the sense that Southern have a policy of not employing enough staff - in order to increase profits and boost bonuses.

If they choose to treat their staff so shoddily that all goodwill to do voluntary overtime is lost, then all they have to do is recruit more staff. Which costs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If they choose to treat their staff so shoddily that all goodwill to do voluntary overtime is lost, then all they have to do is recruit more staff. Which costs.

and the funny thing is if we were all willing to accept higher fares, they could cover those costs. but then they have always relied on overtime to cover, so its not likely to change now. what i dont understand is why the Southern management seem content to go to war with the staff, when it cant possibly help the service, even now they've won the battle over DOO, they are losing the war.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It was planned in the sense that Southern have a policy of not employing enough staff - in order to increase profits and boost bonuses.

Maybe so but its funny that all of a sudden nobody is available at the end of the busiest event in Sussex this weekend

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
and the funny thing is if we were all willing to accept higher fares, they could cover those costs. but then they have always relied on overtime to cover, so its not likely to change now. what i dont understand is why the Southern management seem content to go to war with the staff, when it cant possibly help the service, even now they've won the battle over DOO, they are losing the war.

Wait and see who wins the war, a lot more battles to be fought first

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've only been back on the London commute since September, so I haven't had the whole year of pain, but one up side is the first batch of delay repay letters that arrived today. My daughter helped me open them (for the first batch of strikes in Oct plus a few other delays). We made a little competition of it, to see who got the most. She won, and the total was about £130.... that'll go nicely towards Christmas, especially as I'm able to work from home on strike days.

Jul 7, 2003
I post this again, not to defend the Unions but to show that the issues Southern have with crew in general are nothing that they have not been aware of for at least a year. This is publically available on the Souther website at http://www.southernrailway.com/southern/news/news-archive/2015/12/train-crew-recruitment/

Train crew recruitment
Date: 21 Dec 2015

Sometimes you may see that a service has been cancelled due to a member of train crew being unavailable. We know how frustrating it can be and would like to apologise.
There may be various reasons for a member of train crew being unavailable, for example when the service is disrupted this can lead to train crews being displaced and unable to crew their next scheduled service.*
However, one of the underlying factors is that sometimes we do not have enough train crew to carry out both day-to-day operations and the large amount of training required to enable long-term passenger service improvements, without asking train crew to work rest days.*
We have been working flat out to address this with the UK’s biggest driver recruitment and training programme.
What are the pressures?
We, like the rest of the rail industry, rely on a degree of rest day working. The amount of rest day working we need fluctuates, depending on factors such as labour turnover and sickness levels, as well as covering for holiday leave.
What are we doing?*
We have under way the biggest driver recruitment programme in the UK, alongside on-going conductor training. This will result in a more consistent service for our passengers.
UPDATE
For Southern/Gatwick Express, the total number of drivers who have been recruited, trained and brought into service since January 2015 is 98 with a further 78 in training.
How long will this take
It takes over a year to train a driver to the high safety standards expected in the industry – that’s a minimum of 240 hours in practical training and an additional 840 hours learning theory – and we cannot train the large number of drivers we need all at once so there is a rolling programme.*
Also, while we are recruiting and training, existing train crew retire and leave for personal reasons.*
As a result, there continues to be a risk of cancellations, in particular during periods of high annual leave – but we are steadily overcoming this. In the meantime we will continue to keep you informed of any possible cancellations via our station screens, app and website.
Thank you for bearing with us.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Wait and see who wins the war, a lot more battles to be fought first

Promised you another joke last night before I went to the game..

I was asked the other day ... How can you differentiate between an RMT member and a retired RMT member ??? I`m not sure ...any NSCer able to help me out??

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I've only been back on the London commute since September, so I haven't had the whole year of pain, but one up side is the first batch of delay repay letters that arrived today. My daughter helped me open them (for the first batch of strikes in Oct plus a few other delays). We made a little competition of it, to see who got the most. She won, and the total was about £130.... that'll go nicely towards Christmas, especially as I'm able to work from home on strike days.

Indeed. I have worked out 140 quid for the next batch of strike days alone

This calendar year 580 quid in delay repays now and not one single claim for a fatality or spurious journey! Its like free money at the moment!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Whilst I know the guards have their sniffles and their unoffical strikes. Sorry ROSM but whatever anyone says im not budging on this...SASTA were complete ***** allowing a train to whizz past falmer on the way to lewes and beyond without stopping.

As Ed said on the other thread SASTA knew there would be a cluster**** but didnt announce it. Wankers.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Whilst I know the guards have their sniffles and their unoffical strikes. Sorry ROSM but whatever anyone says im not budging on this...SASTA were complete ***** allowing a train to whizz past falmer on the way to lewes and beyond without stopping.

As Ed said on the other thread SASTA knew there would be a cluster**** but didnt announce it. Wankers.

I'd imagine [MENTION=4251]ROSM[/MENTION] agrees with you. He's not on the side of Southern.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If RMT want to know how much impact their strike is having, they should take this thread as a barometer. We're at the end of a working day (for non-RMT staff anyway), this thread is at the bottom of page 3 and nobody thought the strike merited a mention.

Tremendous effort chaps.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If RMT want to know how much impact their strike is having, they should take this thread as a barometer. We're at the end of a working day (for non-RMT staff anyway), this thread is at the bottom of page 3 and nobody thought the strike merited a mention.

Tremendous effort chaps.

I'm being extra productive working from home (still logged on as I don't need to commute) and I've also submitted my delay repay claim (23 quid per strike day).

I get to work from home tomorrow, repeat.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Actually having to travel to London tomorrow, first time on a strike day so wish me luck

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm being extra productive working from home (still logged on as I don't need to commute) and I've also submitted my delay repay claim (23 quid per strike day).

Right across the SASTA region, people have been extra productive today:

1. Log on extra early to illustrate the benefits of not having a long commute.
2. Home laptop/tablet set up alongside the work laptop.
3. Use home laptop/tablet for all the stuff you really want to do, whilst:
4. Remembering to tap the touchpad of the work laptop at least every 10 minutes in order to stop the screensaver kicking in, and to ensure you don't show as "away" on the company instant messenger thingummy.
5. "Work" beyond the time you would if you were in the office. Once again, the benefit of not having to dash for a train.

6. Bonus points for finding the time for a cheeky daytime ****. Remember to use 'home laptop' for this.
7. Even more bonus points if you don't have the house to yourself for 6.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here