Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We've signed someone - Aaron Hughes

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
Remember him from his days at the toon. A good few years ago now though. Would have thought he was cheap(ish).

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
On a scale of 1 to Dishy I'd give him a solid six out of ten. Not bad at all and a bit of a young Marcus Brigstocke about him in that photograph.

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
He played 11 games last season for a team that went up after only signing in jan and played 13 game for Fulham the season before,looking at what rio Ferdinand done last season can't see him playing anymore games in the prem then Hughes did for them last year

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Obviously you have a decent imput on team selection on a matchday then ??

Guess we will have to wait and see.

Obviously I'm hoping he's retained plenty of fitness and is able to get through a season. If this is the case, he could be a cracking signing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He played 11 games last season for a team that went up after only signing in jan and played 13 game for Fulham the season before,looking at what rio Ferdinand done last season can't see him playing anymore games in the prem then Hughes did for them last year

QPR had the soundest defence last season. Ulloa did not really get a look in until Dunne and Hill tired.

Partner at Fulham Hangeland is also a free agent!

Over 600 top flight games for Aaron Hughes. I thought that was enough for anybody? And he didn't win anything! 692 including internationals.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
To those questioning the signing, who were you expecting. He's played in the Premier League pretty much all his career (considerably more Premier League games than Upson and at comparable clubs). You don't get 450 Premier League matches by being a poor player.

He's a decent signing. He's not going to get people queuing up for season tickets but what centre half would? Why not at least watch him play rather than writing him off?

Luckily, the majority on this thread seem to be doing that and quite positive about the signing.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
QPR had the soundest defence last season. Ulloa did not really get a look in until Dunne and Hill tired.

Partner at Fulham Hangeland is also a free agent!

Over 600 top flight games for Aaron Hughes. I thought that was enough for anybody? And he didn't win anything! 692 including internationals.

I'd LOVE us to bring in Hangeland! They'd have an instant understanding! He's only 33, two good seasons out of him yet!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not enormously enamoured with his signing, but trustworthy of him as a reasonable centre-half. I'm hoping still, maybe misguidedly, that he's one of many, including a few bright and rising possible stars rather than just a set of wrinkled chaps we find supping at the last chance saloon. I might be asking for too much, and won't be too much of a baby if it doesn't happen, but i do want to be thrilled an arrival alongside our steady pros.
I hugely under-admired the talents and ardour of Ward when he turned up, so it's strongly possible i could wrongly expect too little of Hughes too.

Good point about Ward. All the Wolves fans slagged him off when he came here and his pedigree is a lot less than Hughes (although admittedly he is a few years younger).

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
These signings are all about the attitude of the player. They can be a gamble but if the player is committed they can really pay off, Upson had the right attitude and battled for the team, as did Bridge. We have seen it before when players have the opposite desire like Kitson for example. A guy who has 90 international caps for Northern Ireland strikes me as being fairly committed. Very good signing in my opinion.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
These signings are all about the attitude of the player. They can be a gamble but if the player is committed they can really pay off, Upson had the right attitude and battled for the team, as did Bridge. We have seen it before when players have the opposite desire like Kitson for example. A guy who has 90 international caps for Northern Ireland strikes me as being fairly committed. Very good signing in my opinion.

Agreed. I don't think Hughes is that sort of player. From what I've seen he's always one to give 100%. However, I did wonder about Bridge's motivation when he signed and was clearly wrong about that. Can't think of many more committed loan players.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We've got a decent track record with ageing defenders - Bridge, Upson and Greer- so I'm erring on the side of this being a good signing. The proof will come in his performances of course, but you've got to trust the diligence of Burke and his clipboards.

Yeah, welcome Aaron. Hope you enjoy it here.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Sorry but this does not inspire confidence when you sign a CB who is at the very last knockings of his career and is a bit of a sick note too.
Bargain bucket bottom scrapped once more.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Rumours of Ward.

Rumours of a Finn In Goal.

Nothing about any Central Defender signings.

And then we get one out of the blue. Really good news.

Left back, keeper, and 3rd choice striker and we're very nearly there ( with no one leaving ).

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Sorry but this does not inspire confidence when you sign a CB who is at the very last knockings of his career and is a bit of a sick note too.
Bargain bucket bottom scrapped once more.

Not sure a 34 year old with that many games behind him can be classed as a sick note, where did that reputation come from?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is a very good signing however I hope Dunk is playing all season and he is back up for Greer when the inevitable cock-up happens.

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Who is DINK ?

doink2_auto.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here