Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Grammar Police - Question

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Says whom?
Were you ever taught it at school? Have you ever seen it written?

As we become 'lazier' speakers, abbreviations and short cuts creep into conversations, but that doesn't mean it's correct. 'Text speak' is a good example of communication that's all about brevity.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

As we become 'lazier' speakers, abbreviations and short cuts creep into conversations, but that doesn't mean it's correct. 'Text speak' is a good example of communication that's all about brevity.

Yes, I was taught it, and yes, I have seen it. And it is perfectly OK.

This has nothing to do with 'textspeak' (that, by its very nature, would mean people wouldn't punctuate it properly anyway), and everything to do with perfectly legitimate written English.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Blimey......not sure whether something being taught something at school is a good guide to what's correct or not.......I've learned a few things since then personally. Use of language also evolves - so something may become 'correct' over time.......oh, and my niece, a schoolteacher, writes 'would of' :ffsparr:

You'd've looks a bit unwieldy but "'d've" is in the Cambridge Dictionary

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Correctness in English is governed by common usage. If people are saying it or writing, it's correct.

We don't have an equivalent of L'Académie française telling us what's right and what's not.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Correctness in English is governed by common usage. If people are saying it or writing, it's correct.

We don't have an equivalent of L'Académie française telling us what's right and what's not.
Seriously?

So you can use abbreviations, street talk and any other poor use of the English language, and if you fail your English GCSE appeal on the grounds of 'common usage'?

I don't mean that to sound flippant, but can you see where we are heading with that idea?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes we do. It's called NSC :lolol:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I'd argue that if people are saying or writing it, then that's what English is, and no more than that. Academic opinion is moving away from ideas of what is 'correct' - from prescriptive grammar to descriptive, if you like.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Twaddle.

We still have rules in English. It's not a free-for-all, with rules arbitrarily concocted by 'people' based on ignorance or laziness.

Yes, it's an evolving language, but to fabricate a notion that 'if people are saying it, it's correct' has no value.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
One thing you learn after being on NSC for a while, is that you can find someone, to say anything, claim it is true, and back it up with their own 'indisputable' evidence.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
You'd've

Saw this in another post - Is this legal?

I'd like to think I'm well versed in where to put my apostrophes and the above example is using them to identify letters removed.
However, I've never seen 3 words joined in this way e.g. You would have

So, is it acceptable?

Yes, a double contraction is allowed. Agreed, it does look a bit funny but it is a genuine thing.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Twaddle.

We still have rules in English. It's not a free-for-all, with rules arbitrarily concocted by 'people' based on ignorance or laziness.

Yes, it's an evolving language, but to fabricate a notion that 'if people are saying it, it's correct' has no value.

Except Portmanteaus, a rule to break rules.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Twaddle.

Who invented these rules you speak of?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here